Best way to learn to hunt/fish?

hpfiend

Hey all,

As bizarre as it may sound I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice as far as where to start, good books, etc to learn to be a better outdoorsman.

To paint a picture-

I grew up on a small farm with a .22 rifle and a BB gun for varmint control and plinking but that's about it... I can start a fire with kindling and tinder and dry wood most of the time but always pack the map gas torch just in case ;) and as far as fishing if it isn't a bluegill that bites a doughball with a bobber online I am not going to catch anything... I wouldn't know where

to begin as far as deboning it and cooking

Oh I almost forgot! I did go pheasant hunting once but it was sort of comical to me with dogs to scare them out and six guys with shotguns shooting at the same bird or two... After I shot one I just took pictures of my other family members with my phone

But I have a strong interest and as chance would have it two small boys I would like to teach better survival skills to... I was in the cub scouts/boy scouts but in my suburban troop (before we moved to what used to be "farm" country Delaware county) it was a joke.

Thanks for reading

Start going out with a few of your friends that hunt and have them explain why they are doing the things they are doing.

+1.

Coming from a suburban youth background myself, I've learned a ton of home repair, fishing/farming stuff from a really good friend with an Eastern Ohio farming upbringing. I don't have a strong desire to go hunting or fishing these days, but I know if I did, I could bounce the idea off his head and he would run with it.

Hunting and fishing are definitely things you need to experience firsthand to learn well, or it's self-taught with an amazing amount of trial-and-error. I highly recommend you find someone in your family/social circle that you can tag along with...

First of what do you want to hunt, get a gun that works well taking that game down, find some where to hunt always make sure you ask permision before hunting on some ones property, depending on if you. Want to sit and wait for the said hunted thing or use calls get the aproperiate calls and learn how to use the(youtube), go hunt

I my self like to watch the place im hunting for movment of the animal such as traks, droping, rub marks on trees to see ehere the game is regularly. Travaling then i set up sone wheee that gives me a veie of there beaten path as long as you are there before them and make no nouse you have a very good chance of a take down

+1.

Coming from a suburban youth background myself, I've learned a ton of home repair, fishing/farming stuff from a really good friend with an Eastern Ohio farming upbringing. I don't have a strong desire to go hunting or fishing these days, but I know if I did, I could bounce the idea off his head and he would run with it.

Hunting and fishing are definitely things you need to experience firsthand to learn well, or it's self-taught with an amazing amount of trial-and-error. I highly recommend you find someone in your family/social circle that you can tag along with...

Thanks!

Never fished or hunted myself so you're one up on me. I'm also curious what some of the outdoorsmen have to say about getting started. I'm starting to calm down a little with age and could see myself in the mood to try fishing some, but I don't even know where to start.

First of what do you want to hunt, get a gun that works well taking that game down, find some where to hunt always make sure you ask permision before hunting on some ones property, depending on if you. Want to sit and wait for the said hunted thing or use calls get the aproperiate calls and learn how to use the(youtube), go hunt

I my self like to watch the place im hunting for movment of the animal such as traks, droping, rub marks on trees to see ehere the game is regularly. Travaling then i set up sone wheee that gives me a veie of there beaten path as long as you are there before them and make no nouse you have a very good chance of a take down

Don't I need some sort of a license? I have a shotgun and a compound bow. As I would like to eat what I kill, I would like to hunt deer I suppose. Are there any places you can go that you rent admission to some ground or something? As far as fishing if I could catch anything with a lure at a park that allows fishing that would be a big improvement.

Never fished or hunted myself so you're one up on me. I'm also curious what some of the outdoorsmen have to say about getting started. I'm starting to calm down a little with age and could see myself in the mood to try fishing some, but I don't even know where to start.

I have a few books in my amazon wish list I am researching like outdoor survival skills by larry dean olsen and the beginners guide to hunting deer for food by jackson landers... anyone read those?

Don't I need some sort of a license? I have a shotgun and a compound bow. As I would like to eat what I kill, I would like to hunt deer I suppose. Are there any places you can go that you rent admission to some ground or something? As far as fishing if I could catch anything with a lure at a park that allows fishing that would be a big improvement.

Yes you do need a hunting license you also have to buy a tag for the deer figure $20 for the l's and $20 per tag

For bow hunting get lots of practice shooting it and being in a tree stand is almost a must

again finding out what path the deer take most comonly helps in kbowing were to place the stand. For instance for the last two weeks iv been preparing for muzzle loader season iv found that between 5:00-5:15 the is a doe and buck that take the same exact path though my field in to the woods so next weekend i need to be in a spot that gives me clear view to the path they take by 4:30ish so that i can shoot him

One of the easiest way to learn a thing or two about hunting is to watch the outdiirs channel

I started in high school with a Basic rod, real, purple worms and live bait and targeted place for small mouth bass and had a blast. Catfish, trout and coming in spring, crappie are all good fun and pretty easy to catch. I usually carry a rod and small tackle box with me as stopping off for even an hour is pretty relaxing. Call it some alone time with me the water and no kids or wife.

This is a topic that has a lot of angles. Are you looking to get into the sport of hunting and fishing, or are you looking to be a better capable outdoorsman? Do you just want to go out for a few hours and try to get some sort of game, or are you looking to gain knowledge where you could out for a few days and have no issue surviving off what's out there?

Shooting or fishing, then cleaning and cooking are easy enough. Making shelter, having a water source or making one, and then staying warm with out burning the forest down are all things in themself. The first book I ever read about this stuff when I was growing up was this,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Side_of_the_Mountain

It was a quick easy read but there are many basic and simple outdoors skills, and it's a neat story too. For the adult approach you can't go wrong with this,

http://www.amazon.com/Soldier-Handbook-21-76-Ranger-February/dp/147520096X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1357155011&sr=8-4&keywords=ranger+handbook

If you look hard enough you can find it free in PDF out there. I'm just limited on what I can search and get from my work computer.

There are some well rounded outdoorsman on this site. See if someone will go for a walk in the woods with you. I would offer, but I never have the free time when I'm in town.

I usually carry a rod and small tackle box with me as stopping off for even an hour is pretty relaxing.

Went golfing a few years ago with some friends, waiting on the foursome ahead of us and my buddy whips out a folding Pocket Fisherman from his golf bag. I sh!t you not he cast a lure into a water hazard and instantly snagged a palm-sized fish. Released it and cast again, drew in an even bigger fish.

We had been drinking beers, but regardless of that fact I laughed myself to tears. I thought it was the most ridiculous thing to have in his golf bag...until he proceeded to pull a small meal's worth of fish in 5 minutes. :lol: From then on I understood why fisherman bring a tackle kit wherever they go...

Went golfing a few years ago with some friends, waiting on the foursome ahead of us and my buddy whips out a folding Pocket Fisherman from his golf bag. I sh!t you not he cast a lure into a water hazard and instantly snagged a palm-sized fish. Released it and cast again, drew in an even bigger fish.

We had been drinking beers, but regardless of that fact I laughed myself to tears. I thought it was the most ridiculous thing to have in his golf bag...until he proceeded to pull a small meal's worth of fish in 5 minutes. :lol: From then on I understood why fisherman bring a tackle kit wherever they go...

I worked across from the bank one complex off Polaris from before it was built through 2005 and during that time can't tell you how many times their security kicked me out after work for dropping a purple worm from my tackle box in their retention ponds to catch some small mouth :) Fish in a barrel fun really. Guys I worked with laughed but it was fun even if it only lasted 30-40 minutes before they came by and hassled me.

Wait till cabellas opens on Polaris, then go in and talk with their associates and such, they normally have some "experienced" old fellas whom know A LOT. I went to the one and learned in 30 minutes essentially everything I needed to know on large mouth and small mouth bass tackle.

As for fishing goes (I do not hunt) trial and error and experience helps, ODNR is a good resourse, so showing you where certain fish are and when to fish for them.

But finding and angler and shadowing them is likely your best bet.

andrew i fish as much as possible from ice off(march) to ice on(now) atleast 2 times a week. while usually from a boat that doesnt help the bank experience much, but does get you familiar with fish, gear, presentations and i'd certainly show you the ropes on filleting.. do you have any gear now at all? we're still fishing even though the lakes are starting to freeze, usually in a river this time of year.. pm me if you feel link getting cold and catching a couple fish.

First thing I would do is join OGF and lurk/search threads. TONS of info on there.

Second invest in some quality gear, if you're serious about getting into fishing don't cheap out, go with some high dollar Shimano reels and St.Croix rods, they will without a doubt help you catch more fish.

Also whereabouts do you live?

Bassproshops.com has a great library on all subjects of fishing. There's reading for days there if you are so inclined.

As for hunting (deer):

-Get some camo, a bow, and a tree stand

-Get as scent free as possible

-scout game trails and park your ass within a clear shot of one

-Play the waiting game.