PLUMBING HELP! Clearing out main sewer line

zeitgeist57

Last night, I discovered a clog in my main sanitary line. THis morning, I rented a drum snake from Sunbelt Rentals, and I've run what I think is 100' of cable through what should be a 75' line to the city sewer. First run was with the "arrow" bit, and I pulled out some tissue paper and other debris. The second run was with the "coiled saw" bit. I've gone through the second line and the water line hasn't dropped yet. I haven't pulled it out, so I'm hoping for a towel or something that totally clogged the line to come out.

Three years ago, I had a total blockage that backed up into the basement. Roto-Rooter scoped the line with a See-Snake and we saw a small group of roots from a clump of trees that have since died. I used the drum snake and pulled out a towel tangled in the roots...cleared the line right up.

1) SCOPE - Does anyone (aside from awesome Ray Hughes) have access to a See-Snake, so we can get a video feed of what's going on in this pipe?

2) COLLAPSE - The saw bit doesn't make the scrape-scrape-scrape noise as it's going down the pipe...and I'm fearing that the line has collapsed and I'm drilling into 75' of dirt. :nooo: However, it also didn't chunk against any roots or pieces of pipe. How do I know that I'm not drilling out the pipe and into my backyard? :(

Any plumbing assistance would be appreciated.

1) SCOPE - Does anyone (aside from awesome Ray Hughes) have access to a See-Snake, so we can get a video feed of what's going on in this pipe?

2) COLLAPSE - The saw bit doesn't make the scrape-scrape-scrape noise as it's going down the pipe...and I'm fearing that the line has collapsed and I'm drilling into 75' of dirt. :nooo: However, it also didn't chunk against any roots or pieces of pipe. How do I know that I'm not drilling out the pipe and into my backyard? :(

Any plumbing assistance would be appreciated.

These are really hard to diagnose over the internet. Especially UA sometimes. If you can't figure it out and need some help, feel free to give us a call. I can talk to my wife and see if we could come out right away. We have a camera as well. You could very well have problems in the lines if they are cast iron. We had one last week that was completely caved in.

614-873-5681

Foust Plumbing and Heating

If this is against any advertising rules sorry. Feel free to delete The number and PM me instead.

Thanks guys. I ended up snaking a few times and pulled out pieces of what looked to be a towel. However, I'm pretty convinced - having done this before - that there is a break in the line. I've already contacted my in-laws' plumber, since me renting a scope will be $225 alone.

Thanks for the referrals! I'll let everyone know how the plumbing visit goes.

Thanks guys. I ended up snaking a few times and pulled out pieces of what looked to be a towel. However, I'm pretty convinced - having done this before - that there is a break in the line. I've already contacted my in-laws' plumber, since me renting a scope will be $225 alone.

Thanks for the referrals! I'll let everyone know how the plumbing visit goes.

stop clogging the shitter clay!

Whats the cost to have someone come snake a drain? I came home tonight to a backed up sink, and the snake i have it too wide and wont navigate the 2/3 turns to the run into my lower level and down to the main sewer line...i can get about 3-4' in and thats it.