over 3/4 ton of venison thrown away

nurkvinny

Good people hunt, handle the processing costs of, and donate 1600 lbs of deer to a local shelter... only to have a pencil pusher order it disposed of because of 1 complaint to their agency.

I hate government more and more every day.

http://www.kmsstv.com/news/homeless-shelter-shreveport-forced-throw-out-1600-pounds-deer-meat

Several laws were broken, a State Agency enforced said laws, I don't see the problem?

An agency, paid for solely with tax dollars, just got in the way of people helping their fellow man (with their own non-tax dollars), only so the shelter could then feed those people in need with food provided to them by more tax dollars.

This has nothing to do with food safety (remember, the meat was prepared at a licensed slaughter house), and has everything to do with keeping the tax money flowing. This is only my opinion.

The problem... is when you step back and see the impact that policies written in some little manual have on real life. These hunters for the hungry / hunters for homeless programs have been around in most states much longer than these BS policies have been.

To keep it simple - 6400 (using 1/4 lb) burgers just got pitched because 1 person complained about a program that has been helping that community for years. Maybe instead of pitching it, you post a disclaimer to those willing to eat it (for free). Or, you contact the group that donated it, and have them take it back.

Government policy just prevented good people from helping people. That is not their role. Or, IMHO, shouldn't be.

It may have been prepared by a slaughter house, but who's to say that the hunter who shot one of those deer, didn't take all the necessary steps in prepping prior to getting it to the slaughter house. I probably wouldn't feel very comfortable eating that product.

It may have been prepared by a slaughter house, but who's to say that the hunter who shot one of those deer, didn't take all the necessary steps in prepping prior to getting it to the slaughter house. I probably wouldn't feel very comfortable eating that product.

Then don't?

If you are homeless and hungry, that is far from your biggest worry. I have seen homeless eat far worse.

Yep, I understand that argument.

I also understand people survived for 1000's of years with far fewer regulations, while eating far more "icky" meals. If I ever get to the point that I can't obtain my own meal, and someone goes out of their way to help me, then I will thank them over and over and curse the person that gets in the way.

Hunters and officials at the Shreveport-Bossier Rescue Mission homeless shelter are upset because all the venison was donated in an annual drive by the non-profit organization Hunters for the Hungry. The group says they are working with several agencies to ensure that this issue doesn’t happen again in the future.

Expensive lesson learned, Hunters for the Hungry.

As a general rule of thumb, large donations should be cleared in advance. That's true of anyone donating anything to anywhere, except cash perhaps. These guys didn't make a phone call first?