Soldier complains Christian values forced upon him by the military

Disclaimer

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. I saw that earlier. I don't see a problem with it. Not yet' date=' anyway. I'm sure someone will "enlighten" me. :rolleyes:[/quote']

I'll just leave this here.

Article 11 of the 1797 Treaty of Tripoli, ratified UNANIMOUSLY by the Senate, and signed by President John Adams:

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen,—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

So explain to me again why we are actively allowing (and funding) Christian fundies to proselytize in active combat zones and allowing companies to put religious references on rifles where damn near 100% of the population's current religion can, will, and does use said preaching as a recruiting and propaganda tool?

At the end of the day we're bickering about some stamping on some metal sights, but it's funny how perception can turn something as benign as that into something that could get someone killed; either a soldier killed by someone recruited by stories of that, or a local killed by his own people for just taking one of those Bible leaflets.

The D.O.D. inspected these sights before they were ordered. So' date=' if you want to point a finger, point it at the Feds.[/quote']

This I agree with. I just want more details about how the contract was structured and how the deal was brokered. Is this pure lobbying, pure religious agenda, some of both, or none of both?

IF by chance that's how the conversation went, then the owner fails as a businessman.

Knowing full well that putting the references on the weapons is an extra and therefore additional cost step in the manufacturing process, he should've burned the candle at both ends.

"Ok, well I COULD take the Bible references off, but then it's a CUSTOM gun - and it'll be more expensive". More $$$$ from the customer + less expense to manufacture = win-win.

Flounder, the hotlink works for you because you visited the site...

As for the inscriptions, MUCH less annoying than a lot of other religious propoganda, I'm sure most people would have never noticed. That being said I always wonder why bible thumpers never quote the OLD testament... you know, the complete building blocks of Christianity?

Maybe that upsets zombie Jesus

I was watching stephen colbert today...attacking this trijicon topic...

His idea was to make a holy bible grenade, where in you pull the pin and toss it into a cave, then the victim will automatically recieve jesus into his heart, and brain, and various other parts of the body...

I was watching stephen colbert today...attacking this trijicon topic...

His idea was to make a holy bible grenade, where in you pull the pin and toss it into a cave, then the victim will automatically recieve jesus into his heart, and brain, and various other parts of the body...

King Arthur: How does it... um... how does it work?

Sir Lancelot: I know not, my liege.

King Arthur: Consult the Book of Armaments.

Brother Maynard: Armaments, chapter two, verses nine through twenty-one.

Cleric: [reading] And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit-bats and large chu...

Brother Maynard: Skip a bit, Brother...

Cleric: And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Brother Maynard: Amen.

All: Amen.

King Arthur: Right. One... two... five.

Galahad: Three, sir.

King Arthur: Three.