2 FL DJs suspended for stating that "dihydrogen monoxide" was coming from taps

Das Borgen

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/04/florida-djs-april-fools-water-joke/63798/

"They were joking that 'dihydrogen monoxide' was coming out of Lee County residents' taps," reports Florida's WPTV, though it also remains unclear just how much the two hosts stoked the joke, and whether they actually told people to stop drinking the "dihydrogen monoxide" coming out of their taps. The WWGR station's manager did have to issue a retraction — or at least a constant on-air admission that the gag was, in fact, a joke — even though St. John and Fish were technically correct that dihydrogen monoxide was, indeed, coming out of their taps.

http://cdn.theatlanticwire.com/img/upload/2013/04/02/rendered/10ef9aad1b89d9b5099513386a372286_300x236.jpg

There's a poll on the Gator Country website asking when the two DJs should return to air, with (at the time we viewed the results) 78 percent of those voting "never."
wow

before people complain they should be required to spell "dihydrogen monoxide".

EDIT: random Florida tangent

One time in college I was out of work so I did one of those standardized test scoring jobs, in this case for some Florida 8th grade exam. It was the most depressing thing I've ever done. For 2 hours I read sentences that appeared to have been written by a 2nd grader. During my first break I just got in my car and went home and never looked back.

Moral of the story, FL sucks except for income tax.

before people complain they should be required to spell "dihydrogen monoxide".

EDIT: random Florida tangent

One time in college I was out of work so I did one of those standardized test scoring jobs, in this case for some Florida 8th grade exam. It was the most depressing thing I've ever done. For 2 hours I read sentences that appeared to have been written by a 2nd grader. During my first break I just got in my car and went home and never looked back.

Moral of the story, FL sucks except for income tax.

Fl have good seafoods, fried chickens, and massive amount of teen sluts.

The station's news immediately got the attention of Patty DiPiero from Lee County Utilities. She said Lee County residents began calling the utility this morning saying they heard on the station that county water was unsafe and should not be used for drinking, showering or for any use.

DiPiero stressed in an email to media outlets that the utility was not having any issues with the water supply and the water is safe to use.

"My understanding is it is a felony to call in a false water quality issue," Diane Holm, a public information officer for Lee County, said, due to the potential of such a false report to affect a large segment of Southwest Florida's population.

Holm added that the Florida Department of Environmental Protection had been asked to check into the hoax.

Stupid, but this is why they are suspended.

I would say when its a felony to call in a false water quality issue. Is this really all .gov officials have to do? What the fuck are these people being paid to do?

How was it a hoax. They stated a fact...

:yuno:

KillJoy

Stupid, but this is why they are suspended.

ahhh

I couldn't find anything official like that...............I wanted to know if the DJs had said either

a) there is dihydrogen monoxide from the tap

or

b) the dihydrogen monoxide coming from the tap is dangerous

those are 2 completely different things and a) is much easier to defend than b)