If you help: No more front plate required by law

flashburn

Sorry for the bizarre title, and I hope this isn't a repost but I am going on a bit of a campaign for this because it just makes sense to me. If you disagree with me, you are wrong :D

Please contact your representative and ask them to support Ohio House Bill 133. The bill advocates FOR a Single License Plate in Ohio. If it passes, we will no longer need those unsightly front license plates. This is a $0.00 cost to the state and could possible REDUCE the cost of your license plates since you will only need to pay for 1 plate instead of 2. I have provided all the links you need to read about the bill, look up your zipcode +extension and to contact your local representative.

Click here for a bill summary

Click here for the UPS zip code and extension look up

Click here to write or call your local representative

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW...

I was at a Kiwanis Downtown luncheon last month and the speaker was deputy registrar to Mike Rankin, Ohio BMV director. He went on and on about an "interpol"-style shared directory between states for drivers license information, new DHS requirements for getting state IDs and DLs, and a database for family information in case you're in an accident (so police/EMS know who to contact). WHATEVER...

Anyway, at the end of the program he was taking questions, and of course all the old suits in the room were going on about how much regulations stink and illegal immigrants are ruining it for everyone blah blah blah. I raised my hand...

"Sir, can you comment on the possibility of repealing the front plate requirement in the State of Oh..."

He cuts me off, somewhat politely. Gives an answer clearly delivered many times before - and he was tired of explaining again - why any house bill against front plates will get defeated. Mike Rankin himself is a huge Corvette guy, and they all admit that OSHP and every police group in the state is against it, as well as MADD, SADD, DARE, whatever...

Not sh!tting on your efforts...just offering my first-hand experience where I myself trying tried to push the issue.

CLIFFS: I got the distinct impression first-hand that the front plate requirement in the State of Ohio is here to stay for the next several years at least...

FWIW...

I was at a Kiwanis Downtown luncheon last month and the speaker was deputy registrar to Mike Rankin, Ohio BMV director. He went on and on about an "interpol"-style shared directory between states for drivers license information, new DHS requirements for getting state IDs and DLs, and a database for family information in case you're in an accident (so police/EMS know who to contact). WHATEVER...

Anyway, at the end of the program he was taking questions, and of course all the old suits in the room were going on about how much regulations stink and illegal immigrants are ruining it for everyone blah blah blah. I raised my hand...

"Sir, can you comment on the possibility of repealing the front plate requirement in the State of Oh..."

He cuts me off, somewhat politely. Gives an answer clearly delivered many times before - and he was tired of explaining again - why any house bill against front plates will get defeated. Mike Rankin himself is a huge Corvette guy, and they all admit that OSHP and every police group in the state is against it, as well as MADD, SADD, DARE, whatever...

Not sh!tting on your efforts...just offering my first-hand experience where I myself trying tried to push the issue.

CLIFFS: I got the distinct impression first-hand that the front plate requirement in the State of Ohio is here to stay for the next several years at least...

This makes me sad panda. It's a fucking target on the front of your car for laser/radar guns, of course the cops want to keep it.

This makes me sad panda. It's a fucking target on the front of your car for laser/radar guns, of course the cops want to keep it.

Bingo.

It is not going anywhere. Support all you want, Highway Patrol has won the past 2 times

I agree with the above points, however: We elect the house of representatives - not the police. So if we can get the public to support the issue it is irrelevant what the police want. I know this is a stretch, but this is how the "system" works. Please just take the time to write and email or make a phone call - I've provided all the links to make it easy for you!

I agree with the above points, however: We elect the house of representatives - not the police. So if we can get the public to support the issue it is irrelevant what the police want. I know this is a stretch, but this is how the "system" works. Please just take the time to write and email or make a phone call - I've provided all the links to make it easy for you!

Perhaps you should of looked at the petitions that were signed last time.

Highway patrol debates it is a matter of public safety. Regardless if the public wants them gone you're not going to win against an argument like that

I'm not sure why they want to keep it, but I'm pretty sure this isn't it. Radar needs curved surfaces to work properly. Imagine shooting a beam at a basketball. It's going to get scattered everywhere, but because of the curvature, at least some portion is guaranteed to bounce right back at you. Now imagine you're standing off to one side of a mirror. It's why the F-117 is all flat panels and angles, no curves.

The raised lettering may have presented something of a signature, but probably not enough to matter. And they got rid of it anyway. They're better off aiming at a headlight or something.

I'm not sure why they want to keep it, but I'm pretty sure this isn't it. Radar needs curved surfaces to work properly. Imagine shooting a beam at a basketball. It's going to get scattered everywhere, but because of the curvature, at least some portion is guaranteed to bounce right back at you. Now imagine you're standing off to one side of a mirror. It's why the F-117 is all flat panels and angles, no curves.

The raised lettering may have presented something of a signature, but probably not enough to matter. And they got rid of it anyway. They're better off aiming at a headlight or something.

While your thought process is accurate, the fact is that the license plates have reflective paint on them to enable the light (laser) bouncing back towards the source. A simple test would be to go outside at night and shine a highly visible red or green laser at your plate from a good distance away. It lights up like the Las Vegas strip. As most speed-detecting equipment is heading towards laser now, I think front plates are here to stay.

What you're talking about is for perfectly flat and smooth mirror-type surfaces.

Also, radar can pick up on either flat or curved surfaces, because the radar signal itself is curved, so it needs no prerequisites to bounce back.

Good try :)

Edited by 10_penn

While your thought process is accurate, the fact is that the license plates have reflective paint on them to enable the light (laser/radar) bouncing back towards the source. A simple test would be to go outside at night and shine a highly visible red or green laser at your plate from a good distance away. It lights up like the Las Vegas strip.

What you're talking about is for perfectly flat and smooth mirror-type surfaces.

Yea, this^^^

The problem is our argument is aesthetics, theirs is safety, and "safety"(ticketing).

I suppose one could say revenue more than just ticketing. You have to pay for the front plate too.

But if they keep the payment the same but drop that plate then their profits rise.

It's not likely a radar/lidar thing. The front of a car has way more efficient reflection needed for laser than a simply license plate.

It does however come in handy for scanning plates via cameras on cars.

It's not likely a radar/lidar thing. The front of a car has way more efficient reflection needed for laser than a simply license plate.

It does however come in handy for scanning plates via cameras on cars.

Front plate is the main thing that LIDAR guns target.

Headlight is secondary. Finally windshield

Targeting a hood, or bumper WILL NOT get a reading. Sure, you might get them <500 ft but most cops are shooting LIDAR +2000 feet away.

They shoot center of mass, which is a license plate.

As many times as this has been tried and failed I would think a different approach is in order.

Either: Go to a referendum if the public support is there

Or: Lobby for a further modification in the law which reduces the fine to like $10. Take the profit! motive out of it. Need to get that attached to some bill no one wants to kill - I don't think even a fine reduction would pass on its own :(

Front plate is the main thing that LIDAR guns target.

Headlight is secondary. Finally windshield

Targeting a hood, or bumper WILL NOT get a reading. Sure, you might get them <500 ft but most cops are shooting LIDAR +2000 feet away.

They shoot center of mass, which is a license plate.

tell that to my friend Michael Bleese who instructs Perry Township. I got a $100 he nails you much farther than 500ft without a plate. Been there done that.

tell that to my friend Michael Bleese who instructs Perry Township. I got a $100 he nails you much farther than 500ft without a plate. Been there done that.

Perry Township, my uncle told me never drive through there without hubcaps... they will bust you for showing your nuts.

Perry Township, my uncle told me never drive through there without hubcaps... they will bust you for showing your nuts.

Who the fuck still rock hubcaps, son? :lolguy:

And also, they SHOULD bust you for showing your nuts. Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

I pass Perry Township all the time on Riverside dr. and never get stopped for no front plate. In addition I drive through Arlington/Hilliard/Dublin on the regular (for years) and never have been hassled. Lucky I guess? seems to me they (cops) don't care....

EDIT: just realized you were talking about Perry township aiming at plates, rather then citing people without them, at any rate...

Edited by acklac7

I'll just continue to not have a front plate as I have since I was 16, and not getting tickets for it. (Save for one ticket where my car was parked, but that was $40 and I can live with that.)

If the law passes, great. If it doesn't, it won't change anything for me personally.

Oddly enough, for the longest time I never put a front plate on. Then one fateful day I passed a sheriff and he spun around and and flew up behind me. He pulled me over, comes running up to let me know I needed to put my front plate on because its the law and it could help ID a stolen car quicker. I said ok and he said to have a good day and went back to his cruiser. The whole time I wondered why he had pulled me over, after the him telling me about my front plate I was still waiting for me to tell me why he really pulled me over but that was it. I threw it on just in case I'd pass him again that day, haven't even really thought about taking it back off til now......