Eff vacations...

Sully

The wife is wanting a vacation really bad; even though we have one planned the first week of July. She wants to go like yesterday. So she contacted a travel agent and here is the result. All of these are for 1 week...

1. Cancun/Riviera Maya Mexico

Iberostar Del Mar – 2922.00 Sunset Princess – 2685.00

2. Jamaica

Dates again are May 4-11. Flights again on Delta with plane change in Atlanta – morning flight down, afternoon flight home.

5 Apple Square Deal – Negril area – 2500.00

Riu Negril – 2540.00

Riu Ocho Rios – 2694.00

Iberostar Rosehall Beach – 3114.00

3. Punta Cana

6 Apple Square Deal Swim Out Room – 2435.00

Now Larimar – 2477.00

Riu Bambu – 2113.00

4. Cruise

Least expensive cruise as you might imagine is Carnival.

Carnival Dream – sails from Port Canaveral (flights are into Orlando) – stops in Nassau, St. Thomas and St Martin. Only cabin type available is an interior cabin which is 1252.00 total for two people with tax included.

total about 2126.00. I would estimate that on a 7 night cruise you would have about 1000.00 additional out of pocket for gratuities, shore excursions, drinks.

5.Florida

Looking at Key West, flights to Key West are 800.00 per person which is crazy. So I looked at flights to Miami and then you would drive down to Key West.

Flights to Miami are about 368.00 per person for a decent schedule.

Most of the hotels are showing sold out, but the Wyndham Reach Resort would be 2399.00 total with tax for the 7 nights. That would mean a total with flights and car of about 3235.00 and still needing to add food and activities.

We just bought a new couch, rug, and pillows for the living room... $5K. :eek:

She just bought an elliptical and two bicycles for us... $3K. :eek:

She wants new patio furniture. She wants a new kitchen table. She wants the master bathroom remodeled. Now she wants a last minute week long vacation which would cost upwards of $3K.

Anyone have any other last minute beach get-away ideas that won't break the bank?

Rant off

TL;DR

Cliffs:

Wife wants everything under the sun that we can't afford all at once.

Now she wants last minute vacation which would cost around $3K.

Any beach vacation suggestions that won't cost an arm and a leg?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am missing the funny. Please explain.

If you want to give into your wifes' vacation suggestions, ANY "beach" trip will still involve travel and lodging accomodations. Costs will be incurred, and if it's more than 100miles away with more than 3 nights' stay, be mentally prepared for the costs to be substantial, especially considering your initial comments about not having the budget in the first place, as well as the psychological resistance you have for doing another vacation before your plans in July.

My comment was more of a "tongue-in-cheek" suggestion that minimizes both travel and lodging expenses, and also makes an indirect reference to your wife that a vacation now is not something you plan on doing. Similarly, when my wife asks "What do I want to do for dinner?" when we make plans to go out to eat, I suggest "Skyline Chili or Raising Canes"; two fast-food chains that I do love to eat at but knowingly smack against her implied request for more expensive, sit-down restaurant options. However, my response ALSO reinforces my desire not to go out and spend money on an expensive restaurant when I'm not feeling like it.

Your original plans for July are going to be fun and enjoyable. I certainly like to travel down to Naples, FL a few times a year at considerable cost, so I feel out-of-the-blue travel is an unnecessary expense and use of our time. Much in the same way that I don't need to eat at Mitchell's just because I'm hungry.

I hope this explains the humor in my earlier comment sufficiently. You didn't need to "get the joke", but at least understand that one was there. Have a great day, and good luck with the pending negotiations with your better half.

Thanks,

Erik

Last time me and my wife went on vacation we went to Daytona FL. We stayed in a condo type place on the beach (the owners rented it during the summer months). I think 7 days in the condo was only about 500 (plus a deposit we got back) and we didn't spend more than 1500 going there and back iirc (we drove, but we decided to get a rental car which was another 350 for the week).

You should go somewhere in BFE with no cell phone signal and pitch a tent. Go horseback riding or hiking or fishing? You won't spend much this way and it is real relaxing. Stare at the night sky with just a camp fire going in the background.

http://www.midgettrealty.com/

Rent a beach house. They often have last minute deals. You may try calling them and asking. It's a 12 hour drive so your travel expense is only gas. Or you could fly into Virginia Beach or Raleigh and rent a car the rest of the way, but either way you still have a couple hour drive. Rent on Hatteras Island, in Rodanthe or Waves or Salvo or Avon to get a cheaper place, no traffic, very small number of people. Nice and secluded and quiet. Also spotty cell service. There are grocerys so you can stock up the fridge in the house and cook at home, or drive north or south a half hour and hit a ton of restaurants.

EDIT:

Specials are here:

http://www.midgettrealty.com/search/specials

The first listing is available next week for under a grand...

Chicago? Has the great lake beaches, close enough to drive, and more than affordable.

me and the wife just got back from there......you can spend some money there if you're not careful. :D

He'll save a lot more money in the long term by going here.

ever heard the saying "cheaper to keep 'er"? There's a reason that saying is popular....divorce is expensive. Basically two lawyers get in a room and argue with each other until neither of you has any money left.

Yes, I am ranting about her spending so much money is such a short amount of time and then wanting to take a last minute week-long vacation. The divorce comments are unnecessary. What was I thinking asking for last minute get-away ideas on here?

how about a new wife that doesnt spend all of your money? (at least im assuming its all YOUR money or you wouldnt be bitchin about it)

I'm with Evan, sounds like you need a new wife

This.

I suggest looking at the Travel Hacking thread.

He'll save a lot more money in the long term by going here.

ALL OF THESE....

Time to trade in your wife for a less high maintenance one but that would be your 2nd divorce right?. GOD SAVE SULLY.

But on srs note, why not rent a cabin somewhere or do the put n bay deal? how about hilton head or augusta ga? Maybe even a drive to virginia beach