Mother inlaw got a new roof...

Buck531

And this happened to the garage portion.

Minutes after this happened Able removed the sign from the yard and parked the two able trucks up around the corner in front of someone elses house.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/Bonnie%20Roof/garageroof1_zps55c05cc5.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/Bonnie%20Roof/garageroof2_zpsd726ae5b.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/Bonnie%20Roof/garageroof3_zps40dc41db.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/Bonnie%20Roof/garageroof4_zpsb39329e8.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/Bonnie%20Roof/garageroof5_zps36e4c358.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk314/buck531/Bonnie%20Roof/garageroof6_zps340a3e3a.jpg

Unless Able replaced the upper half of that structure along with a new roof, the idiots are those who built the garage.

Agreed, imagine the mess that there would be if the roof was being replaced by "Chuck in a Truck" instead of a reputable, licensed, and insured company.

The garage was built on there back in the mid 80's. It's been fine since then. The company was something like "mayo construction" or something along those lines. They are now out of business.

I believe Able is checking with Westerville building code to see if Westerville checked off on the work back when it was done.

Also. the roof on the house and the garage was replaced (well, added a 2nd layer) I want to say back in the early 2000's.

The garage was built on there back in the mid 80's. It's been fine since then. The company was something like "mayo construction" or something along those lines. They are now out of business.

Can't imagine why.

Whatever the case, I hope it works out for her.

We're also checking to see if Westerville Building code checked off on the house.

If Westerville said it was "ok" back in the 80's and signed off on it, then saying the structure was shit to begin with is pretty much irrelevant (for those who commented above).

Not my words but a friend from facebook.

Even if it was poor construction, it was the contractors responsibility to check that before they loaded the shingles up on the roof. It's not like they couldn't go inside the garage and look up to count the rafters. They should have checked that as part of the estimate and discussed it with the homeowner before starting the project. The contractor should be bonded and insured for issues like this. If they refuse to help contact your own lawyer and also report them to the Ohio Attorney General.

Sounds right to me... Hell that is just more money in their pocket to estimate frame work. They do it all the time on water damage stuff. I bet they take care of it

I feel bad for both party's.

I have seen drywall ceilings stress crack because of weight but never fall.

Kind of hard to tell but judging by the pictures the trusses look site build, not engineered pre-built. I bet there was no inspection.

No way to tell from the pics if the roofing contractor is at fault. As long as they did nothing uncharacteristic of their trade or neglect they will not be at fault. They could have staged every new shingle one on top of the other and that roof should have held. It doesnt appear its as bad as the pics first show.

If the structure was not up to code and not inspected, the most likely wouldn't be held liable. In fact, they could probably sue your MIL for any injuries. As WNA states, in cases like this it comes to the standard practice of the trade. If they did everything right, then they did nothing wrong.

To me it looks like everything wasn't tied together properly.

That is an amazing collapse, I'd have a hard time saying its ABLE's fault unless they were clearly exceeding the load capacity (snow load) of a standard roof which as we all know should be able to handle a roof replacement job. The way the walls were pushed outward in all directions, to me indicates it wasn't built correctly. Looks like a second floor was built over the floor level?

That is an amazing collapse, I'd have a hard time saying its ABLE's fault unless they were clearly exceeding the load capacity (snow load) of a standard roof which as we all know should be able to handle a roof replacement job. The way the walls were pushed outward in all directions, to me indicates it wasn't built correctly. Looks like a second floor was built over the floor level?

There is no second floor on the garage. it was all open in the garage. No insulation either.

There is no second floor on the garage. it was all open in the garage. No insulation either.

Ok, wow the plywood I'm seeing is the roof then, WOW. So if they made the trusses correctly then there really shouldn't be any way the roof could have done that. A correctly built roof could break between supports, but typically holds together.

Was the garage built by a Korean man? :gabe:

Seriously though, hopefully your MIL has homeowners insurance to fall back on in case Able is not at fault. Although I do kind of find it odd that they were in a hurry to remove the sign from the yard and move the trucks.

Was the garage built by a Korean man? :gabe:

Seriously though, hopefully your MIL has homeowners insurance to fall back on in case Able is not at fault. Although I do kind of find it odd that they were in a hurry to remove the sign from the yard and move the trucks.

That is funny.

Right now it looks like Able is going to fix it. Her insurance is out there too. They're waiting for another inspector or what not to come out and figure out how to tear it down. Able took some siding to match it up with the rest of the house and asked her what all was inside, if she had a door opener, etc.

Also. the roof on the house and the garage was replaced (well, added a 2nd layer) I want to say back in the early 2000's.

I'm not an expert, but i believe if there are already 2 layers of shingles on the roof they both have to be removed before you can lay a new roof. So why did they have the shingles on the roof already?