Doing what I can to help find a cure for cancer

bmwohio

Right now I have a friend who is in the hardest fight of his life right now. He was recently diagnosed with Stage 2a-3b Lung Cancer after a Pancoast Tumor about the size of a doughnut was found in his lungs.

Since that time when it was discovered back in January, he has been going through multiple rounds of chemotherapy, surgeries, hospital visits, etc......It goes without saying that it has been a very bumpy ride.....I also have a very close family friend who is going everyday for 7 weeks of constant chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Most of the time its hard for any of us to do anything, except pray for someone to get better.....

Well, I'm trying to take it one step further and I would appreciate everyone's help. I am riding this year in an event called Pelotonia (pelotonia.org). I rode this event back in 2010 with my wife for the first time, and it was one of the most humbling and amazing experiences my wife and I had ever been apart of.

Each rider is tasked with raising money for cancer research, all of the money raised is used to directly support cancer research conducted at the Comprehensive Cancer Center—James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute (OSUCCC—James) at The Ohio State University. This link also talks more about how the money is used --> http://pelotonia.org/about/money/

So far, over the 5 years this event has occurred, it has raised over $43 million dollars!!!

I have pledged to ride 100 miles this year from Columbus to Gambier, OH and my goal is to raise $1,800......

http://pelotonia.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/12-100Reynolds-EL.jpg

At the end of the day, I feel like this is the least I can do to try and help my friend battle something that most of us have been affected by in our lifetimes, and we truly can't imagine what he is going through right now.

If you can't donate financially, please just say a prayer for a really great guy who is on his way to a speedy recovery.

Thanks for reading.

If you can make a financial donation, please do so at my profile --> https://www.mypelotonia.org/riders_profile.jsp?MemberID=71373 (Click in the upper right corner that says "Click Here to Donate to My Ride")

Here are a few pictures from when my wife and I did this ride back in 2010:

45394_434546416496_4468185_n.jpg

45394_434546426496_4832546_n.jpg

People I rode for last time....BTW, Jim BEAT his prostate cancer, and has been cancer free for 3 years now!

41317_434547146496_3309771_n.jpg

41317_434547191496_2037878_n.jpg

Edited by bmwohio

this is an awesome event! although I dislike that they require you to raise so much money to even ride.... I used to do it when I worked for Limited Brands, but now that I work elsewhere, my current employer will not sponsor, so alas, not doing it.

Good luck with this!

+1...great event, humbling, but its a huge commitment to raise that much. I did it last year and barely cracked $1k in donations. Luckily i was with chase at the time and the team had enough funds to share. New employer doesnt do a team, despite being a columbus based national business (Safelite), so im doing some smaller charity rides instead. Tour de Cure for diabetes next month and work donated $200, which is the total minimum donation. A lot easier to cover $200 if i couldnt raise it vs 12-2200

Good luck!

While I hear what you guys are saying about the high price of donation admission, Just a note.... You riding a bike cures nothing, however the donations you raise will do something. Because so many people want to ride and the high cost of organizing the event with police and support staff, they limit the attendance by maintaining a minimum donation. It is really not that hard using social media these days.

Best wishes to your friend, bro. Seriously, though, my mother beat lung cancer twice, and was one of the first 5 patients in America to undergo a treatment called "Photodynamic Treatment", or "pdt". It works very well for folks with masses in their airways. Have your friend ask his doctor about it, no joke.

this is an awesome event! although I dislike that they require you to raise so much money to even ride.... I used to do it when I worked for Limited Brands, but now that I work elsewhere, my current employer will not sponsor, so alas, not doing it.

Good luck with this!

+1...great event, humbling, but its a huge commitment to raise that much. I did it last year and barely cracked $1k in donations. Luckily i was with chase at the time and the team had enough funds to share. New employer doesnt do a team, despite being a columbus based national business (Safelite), so im doing some smaller charity rides instead. Tour de Cure for diabetes next month and work donated $200, which is the total minimum donation. A lot easier to cover $200 if i couldnt raise it vs 12-2200

Good luck!

^ these.

I use to work for HNB and rode in 2011. Rode for my grandparents who were both affected by cancer.

Good luck. I'll see what I can contribute.

Thanks, I appreciate the support. My wife actually works for Huntington and I do not, so while I am on the Huntington 'Team' my donations are not subsidized at all by Huntington. I'm doing this on my own, and trying to help friends and family.

While I hear what you guys are saying about the high price of donation admission, Just a note.... You riding a bike cures nothing, however the donations you raise will do something. Because so many people want to ride and the high cost of organizing the event with police and support staff, they limit the attendance by maintaining a minimum donation. It is really not that hard using social media these days.

Thanks for the support, hopefully you can pry some $$ away from the Lambo fund for a great cause ;)

Best wishes to your friend, bro. Seriously, though, my mother beat lung cancer twice, and was one of the first 5 patients in America to undergo a treatment called "Photodynamic Treatment", or "pdt". It works very well for folks with masses in their airways. Have your friend ask his doctor about it, no joke.

Thanks, I will let him know about it. He actually has surgery this Wednesday, which will be followed by a week in the hospital and a 6-8 week 'recovery' period that is supposed to include high levels of discomfort during that time.....but I will for sure pass along the note...thanks again.

Except for the fact that your fundraising is 100% donated to the James and Solove centers. Your donations you receive dont pay for police holding traffic, food at stops, merch bags, etc. MAYBE your $100 registration fee, but im not 100% sure. All that stuff is paid by sponsors, which they have a shit ton of every year to get their name out there, or donated. Theyd probably have a lot better luck if they lowered the minimum fundraising, raise the registration fee a little (if necessary) and allow more people to get in. There was 6k last year, people from all over the country. They could easily double that and have the word go out a lot further.

You may not have a hard time raising $1800 with your social circle, or have issue with covering it if you dont make it, but its different for the common participant. Hell, i signed up in feb right at the start, had raffles with some donated prizes and some i paid for (cornhole set from Tim, custom bicycle themed jewelry a friend made, salon gift certificates from my sisters salon, some art my old roommate did), and in 8 months, i barely got to $1k. The problem now vs the first couple years is then, you might know 1 person riding and kick em $50...now, you know 5 and split it up to $10 each. Its harder for people to donate to multiple riders like they would to just one.

You are correct on all of the points on expenses, they just don't want more riders. More riders means even more expense. Bottom line is, they want your money and use the ride as a way to get there. High dollars per rider reduces the number of riders, increases profit. A group of you should start another event with different rules to accommodate these riders who want to help.

Did what I could. Best of luck.

PS ~ Lambo owner donations > Old truck owner donations. LOL!

That was a great donation Scott (I assume). :thumbup:

Appreciate it very much! .....yes, that was him :fuckyeah:....

Good luck on the 100 mile ride and donations. How far did you ride the first time? I'm signed up as well for Team Huntington but for the 50 mile ride. I rode the 50 miles last year without any training on a full suspension mountain bike and it about killed me. Hopefully this one goes better. It is a great event to be part of!!

Good luck on the 100 mile ride and donations. How far did you ride the first time? I'm signed up as well for Team Huntington but for the 50 mile ride. I rode the 50 miles last year without any training on a full suspension mountain bike and it about killed me. Hopefully this one goes better. It is a great event to be part of!!

Thanks. We did the 50 mile last time because my wife was riding with me, or else I would have done it all last time. I was averaging 40-60 miles a week last time I rode, but now since I have a son it's hard to find 2 hours for a ride. I'll find time to train somewhere.

FYI, if youre doing the harder route (the one you posted), you may want to spend some time out east on those hills or you're gonna be walking reynolds, blacksnake, etc. I was doing about 150/wk and we averaged a hair under 20 (19.8 i think) via the reynolds rd route. And we FLEW for the first quarter. 23+ average. For a small bit, we were within the front 25 or so of the entire ride.

Look into a hybrid.

Kale, threw a little your way to help you out, sorry it wasn't more but we're supporting several people this year and have to spread around the love a little.

Best of luck on the ride.

Andy

It's truly appreciated, as you well know......

I would LOVE for Josh to wake up from his surgery today, and be able to tell him that I hit and SURPASSED our goal for Pelotonia....only $350 left until I hit $1800....Any bit helps, but please don't feel obligated to give.

Click on the link below and it will take you right to my 'profile' page....Thank you in advance!

https://www.mypelotonia.org/riders_profile.jsp?MemberID=71373

I have a jaded view on alot of these charities, but Pelotonia is one I'll glady contribute to every single year.

Truth! I have a friend who visited another friend with cancer this past weekend and she mentioned all the genetic testing she is/will be undergoing at the James is completely funded by $ from Pelotonia......