Asbestos floor tile needs GONE!

zeitgeist57

My 1961 house is gutted from smoke remediation related to a fire, and we are doing some upgrades since the whole house is now open. The lower level has 9" floor tiles that I'm 99% sure are asbestos. We just got a quote to have someone come in to take out all the tile as well as some lineoleum sheet floor in a bathroom as well. Just under $1000. Looking for something cheaper...

Can someone from CR wet it down and scrape up the flooring? No questions asked ;) Please PM me if you're interested. Thank you!

My 1961 house is gutted from smoke remediation related to a fire, and we are doing some upgrades since the whole house is now open. The lower level has 9" floor tiles that I'm 99% sure are asbestos. We just got a quote to have someone come in to take out all the tile as well as some lineoleum sheet floor in a bathroom as well. Just under $1000. Looking for something cheaper...

Can someone from CR wet it down and scrape up the flooring? No questions asked ;) Please PM me if you're interested. Thank you!

Asbestos isn't something I would cheap out on. Also not something I would trust someone who isn't certified and insured for asbestos with.

http://stanleypersonalprotection.com/products/Nuisance%20Disposable%20Dust%20Mask/Nuisance_Disposable_Dust_Ma-large.jpg

+

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__NddmR2QiGo/S-p-DHRtwWI/AAAAAAAAAk8/dM-BUp9TbPA/s320/Red-Rubber-Gloves.jpg

+

http://www.forthemommas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Glad-ForceFlex-Trash-Bags.jpeg

=

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ImU3ucqGhaM/Trnx2V0ukbI/AAAAAAAAA-k/rCo2vkXwXsQ/s1600/Grover.jpg

the cleanup for asbestos is over rated. the disposal is what should be a concern.

Until you get someone who doesn't know what they are doing, gets it all in the air, gets it into the HVAC, your kids inhale it and end up with health problems.

Asbestos, lead paint and permanent structure mold remediation are things that are best left to the pros.

Whatever you do, ignore this comment.

yeah ignore this comment. I have been around asbestos removal in plants all over the country and have spoken to the guys in charge of the removal and it just so happens that removal of tile with asbestos is not that critical because there is little dust created scraping up tile. We're not talking about insulation removal with asbestos here. Its tile on a floor. If you use a little common sense as far as the removal you will be safe.

This isnt shit I just heard about on some commercial or online. I have witnessed countless asbestos removal procedures and have seen parts of jobs shut down during the clean up. Tile removal that has asbestos is not rocket science....

Asbestos containing floor tile is considered a Class I non-friable form. This means only under severe conditions (like grinding the tile down) will it release any fibers. As a bonus it usually comes up very easy.

Disposal can be pretty simple too depending on your local dump policy, call them to find out for sure but all asbestos containing material goes to the landfill, you just need to follow their rules. These rules usually include double bag in high mil black trash bag and seal bag with duct tape and label bags "caution asbestos".

Now you have to deal with the mastic that was under the tile as it is likely also an ACM. This is where you have to sand which will release fibers. The other option may be to use a compound on top to give you a level surface to work over.

yeah ignore this comment. I have been around asbestos removal in plants all over the country and have spoken to the guys in charge of the removal and it just so happens that removal of tile with asbestos is not that critical because there is little dust created scraping up tile. We're not talking about insulation removal with asbestos here. Its tile on a floor. If you use a little common sense as far as the removal you will be safe.

This isnt shit I just heard about on some commercial or online. I have witnessed countless asbestos removal procedures and have seen parts of jobs shut down during the clean up. Tile removal that has asbestos is not rocket science....

I noticed you trailed off at the end. Breathing problems?

;):p