BMW 328xi Opinions

mseebs

So my brother is looking into getting a new car. He seems pretty dead set on a BMW 328xi. He found a 07 with about 70k miles for 20k.

Personally, I told him to just pick up a new camry or something. But he's pretty stubborn.

Anyone have any experience with these? Common problems, negatives, and so on?

Rock solid cars. He can expect to have to replace a water pump, oil filter housing gasket, and valve cover gasket at some point.

How much is the car if you're comparing it to a new Toyota?

Rock solid cars. He can expect to have to replace a water pump, oil filter housing gasket, and valve cover gasket at some point.

How much is the car if you're comparing it to a new Toyota?

The car has 70k miles and is 20k from Carmax. I'm not saying a brand new toyota or something, just something sub 10k miles. I'm always iffy personally when it comes to spending big money (imo) on a car with higher mileage.

Well he backed out after I showed him what they run. So that's good. He's still looking though, if anyone has any other luxury type car ideas that'd help too. Not something I know too much about.

I know he wants a coupe, automatic, full options, leather and really would like awd. 20k limit. He's 27 if it makes a difference. Closer to him would be a plus as he lives in Cincinnati. The 328xi seems to fit this well but other options would be nice.

Anywhere else, that's a ~17k car. My buddy bought his 07 335i w/ 70k miles for $18,000 about a year ago.

That's because the turbos probably needed replaced...lol

As far as the E92 N52s, they are solid. Dad had a fuel pump go out early in ownership, he is ticking close to 65k IIRC and it has been flawless.

That's because the turbos probably needed replaced...lol

As far as the E92 N52s, they are solid. Dad had a fuel pump go out early in ownership, he is ticking close to 65k IIRC and it has been flawless.

So far, it's needed nothing replaced. Original HPFP, and turbos. However, after throwing more boost at it, the now 6 year old, 80,000+ miles plugs could do for a swap out. However, that's kind of normal for any car IMO. It's on his "to-do" list, but the car seems to run strong regardless.