Need help deciding: Evo. vs. Golf R

Sledhead36

While I don’t have any experience with either of these cars I think these are two very important questions while thinking about this.

What is his overall driving experience?

Specifically on track?

Both of these cars are probably going to be pretty fast on track, even out of the box. If it must be one of these two, I would think one might be more forgiving at the limit than the other; simply by the nature of the stock handling characteristics. Just spit-balling a guess that’s probably going to be the R, but that’s just an educated guess. Bigger picture if he has little to no track experience, I would think something with less power, lower absolute handling limits and maybe more neutrally balanced might be more appropriate while he learns. This also depends on how serious he/you thinks he will be about tracking it. Maybe this isn’t such a big deal if we are just talking about one or two learning events a year.

Just food for thought, take it as you wish.

They both push when driven at a moderate pace, even the Evo. Once you increase the pace, supposedly, the Evo neutrals out very nicely, and while the R does too, it still won't match the Evo as a pure driving tool. Every single test since the Evo came out, has said its the sharpest, most responsive, and fastest car of the 3 (evo, sti and R variants), but also the least livable, the cheapest quality, and the loudest. The STI is more of a middle ground between the 2 I would say, more "true" awd system, nicer middle of the pack interior, yet has the performance. The R gets the same performance as the STI around the track, but loses in straight line acceleration, has the best interior by a mile, and for me is the best choice.

Totally different cars. If you don't value what a german car has to offer, then you won't "get" the R.

All 3 are great cars.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say EVO for sure, and I can even sell you an Golf R... If he can wait till next year a S3 would be a nice one to toss into the mix, but not sure what kinda budget you are dealing with.

A comparably equipped Evo is more expensive than the r.

The r is comparable to the sti in terms of handling performance and lap times, and a bit slower than an Evo.

The STI and Evo are pretty close in handling performance and track times. The golf R is a little bit slower. The EvoX comes with stiffer suspension from the factory and equipped with AYC, it will performe better than the STI on the track. STI suspension are softer and more suited for daily/ spirited driving. But if you want to track it, it will do fine. It is equipped DCCD and Si Drive. Performance wise, it is lagging behind both STI and Evo, but it is very comfy to drive.

I test drove all three cars before and if I were to sell my STI, I would getting a EvoX.

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/vw_golf_r.html

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/subaru_wrx_sti_sedan.html

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/subaru_impreza_wrx_sti_25l.html

http://fastestlaps.com/cars/subaru_impreza_wrx_sti.html

Lightning Lap:

65 3:10.6 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION SE LL2 2/11

76 3:13.3 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION MR LL2 11/08

77 3:13.5 MITSUBISHI LANCER EVOLUTION IX MR LL1 11/06

80 3:13.8 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STI SEDAN LL2 2/11

83 3:14.0 VOLKSWAGEN GOLF R LL2 2/12

Can't go wrong with either IMO.

I am 6'6" and shall we say big boned, and can only comfortably fit in about a half dozen cars. The Evo was laughably small, so it was crossed off the list within half a second. Luckily they came out with the Golf R, solving my automotive dilemma (ask Jones, I was a tortured man, looking for a car).

Is he coming to the twenty one pilots show at Vinoy Park this saturday? If he is PM me. We fly down there tomorrow.

Crap, that would have been great. He is home for the long weekend, we have been there before down by the Pier. There is a great restaurant on the pier if you like Cuban food. We had box seats when they were at the LC a few weeks back, what a great night. Say Hello to the guys from me. It is so cool to see them making their way up.

Crap, that would have been great. He is home for the long weekend, we have been there before down by the Pier. There is a great restaurant on the pier if you like Cuban food. We had box seats when they were at the LC a few weeks back, what a great night. Say Hello to the guys from me. It is so cool to see them making their way up.

Columbia? That place is great. I always go to the one in St. Armands Circle when I'm in the Sarasota area.

P.S. 2013 Pontiac Trams AM. We need pics, at it had better be painted like the Bandit.

The Evo X is a great DD in my opinion and handles damn well (coming from a Miata) but be forewarned it may not be the best when it comes to reliability. I picked my 2008 GSR up in 2010 and had to replace a stretched timing chain and rebuild the S-AWC pump at 40k miles this year. They may have addressed these issues on the newer models as the new timing chain had a slightly different design and there is a reflash to disable the S-AWC in cold temperatures. I'm sure all three cars have their own issues though...

Haha yeah that night was crazy. So many moving parts. Since I'm the logistics man, I'm glad it's over! At any rate, yeah its right on the water. Should be about 7,000-10,000 people there from what we hear from the radio station so it should be a great night!

It honestly feels like we are getting shot out of a cannon haha it's just happening so much faster than anyone thought. Now the trick is to just stay healthy. I will let them know you say hello! If you need anything don't hesitate.

Columbia? That place is great. I always go to the one in St. Armands Circle when I'm in the Sarasota area.

P.S. 2013 Pontiac Trams AM. We need pics, at it had better be painted like the Bandit.

:p lol, this is being built right now. Just dropped a 2013 Camaro 2 SS off and they started cutting it apart and tore the interior out........it is going to become ( If Pontiac was still alive...) a 2013 Trans Am. Pix to follow soon. And, yes it will have a very large flying chicken on it....

:p lol, this is being built right now. Just dropped a 2013 Camaro 2 SS off and they started cutting it apart and tore the interior out........it is going to become ( If Pontiac was still alive...) a 2013 Trans Am. Pix to follow soon. And, yes it will have a very large flying chicken on it....

I like 'em. T-tops and all.

i'm biased :) xtfw basic bolt-ons and e85= 400+hp to the wheels

I'm not buying the interior piece those others were saying if you get the sunroof package you get leather recaros and heated seats...Nice

http://forums.evolutionm.net/members/awdxftw-187371-albums-bloody-mary-9806-picture-img-3065-36632.jpg

Edited by 8urv8

Decision is made, not the popular one. He went with a Golf R, primarily for surf boards and ample trunk, and tons of mods. The EVO was the clear winner, just not practical for his needs. But thanks for all the input, it was helpful.