Huge Thanks to Delaware City Police

Benner

My Fiance Kelly called me this morning frantic because she couldn't find her engagement ring and a claddaugh ring her Dad brought her from Ireland.

Left work and went over and helped her look. She knew one of her brothers shady POS friends was there yesterday so I called the police. They came and took a report and within 5 hours called her and told her the engagement ring had been sold to a pawn shop.

Only problem is legally we have to come up with the $600 they gave him for it to get it back. I'll be pressing full charges which will be felony theft (based on the value) and her dad may press B&E charges since they were stolen while she was at work and no one else was home (she doesn't where them to work because of cleaning chemicals). He's already got 1 felony so he'll be gone for a while.

However they're holding off on arresting him so I can get the $600 out of him, physically if I have to.

Blessings come out of the most unexpected places. Thanks to the kindness of a member Kelly will have her ring back on her finger tomorrow.

Amazing that some of the worst people are more than compensated for by amazing people

they were stolen while she was at work and no one else was home (she doesn't where them to work because of cleaning chemicals). He's already got 1 felony so he'll be gone for a while.

However they're holding off on arresting him so I can get the $600 out of him, physically if I have to.

Also, why wasnt your fiance WEARING her ring? Sounds like your brothers friend wasnt the only shady one in the house that day

ughhh.. cant you read?

You would have to prove they knew it was stolen... not easy to do.

That sounds like shit to me...if that were true, why would people always be sketchy on buying stuff on CL for low "too good to be true" prices. If all i had to do was say "i didnt know it was stolen", only retards like paul would admit that they knew it might be and take the RSP charge

yeah....that doesn't add up. That's receiving stolen goods and it's the pawn shops responsibility to know something isn't stolen before purchasing it. Especially with charges filed.....I would be asking some questions to either the police or a lawyer. That doesn't make sense.

That doesn't make sense.

Agreed.

I have never heard of a case where the pawn shop is able to keep an item after charges have been filed. Who told you the item had to be paid for? The pawn shop?

Wait...why wouldnt the cops hit the pawn shop for receiving stolen property? Are they exempt from that law some how?

yeah....that doesn't add up. That's receiving stolen goods and it's the pawn shops responsibility to know something isn't stolen before purchasing it. Especially with charges filed.....I would be asking some questions to either the police or a lawyer. That doesn't make sense.

I work in a resale shop in Columbus, so I can only give you an idea how the Columbus law works.

Customers usually sign a slip stating that the item is theirs and theirs to legally sell, this takes all the liability off the shop. Anything with a serial number must be held for 7 days (this goes into a police database, LEEDS program.) Beyond that 7 day period, for serialized and nonserialized items, if it is a stolen item and the police recover it then the shop takes the loss and has to pursue charges themselves, not the owner.

Every fucking day I get a lovely mix of people, from hillbillies to heroin addicted dublin teenagers selling shit they lifted from cars. I've had people threaten to kill me over $30. Fun business.

(A) A person licensed as a pawnbroker shall retain any and all goods or articles pledged with the licensee until the expiration of seventy-two hours after the pledge is made, and shall retain any goods or articles purchased by the licensee until the expiration of fifteen days after the purchase is made. The licensee may dispose of such goods or articles sooner with the written permission of the chief of police of the municipal corporation or township in which the licensee's place of business is located or, if the place of business is not located within a municipal corporation or township that has a chief of police, with the written permission of the sheriff of the county in which the business is located.

(B) If the chief of police or sheriff to whom the licensee makes available the information required by section 4727.09 of the Revised Code has probable cause to believe that the article described therein is stolen property, the chief or sheriff shall notify the licensee in writing. Upon receipt of such a notice, the licensee shall retain the article until the expiration of thirty days after the day on which the licensee is first required to make available the information required by section 4727.09 of the Revised Code, unless the chief or sheriff notifies the licensee in writing that the licensee is not required to retain the article until such expiration.

© If the chief or sheriff receives a report that property has been stolen and determines the identity of the true owner of the allegedly stolen property that has been purchased or pawned and is held by a licensee, and informs the licensee of the true owner's identity, the licensee may restore the allegedly stolen property to the true owner directly. If a licensee fails to restore the allegedly stolen property, the true owner may recover the property from the licensee in an action at law.

(D) If the licensee returns the allegedly stolen property to the true owner, the licensee may charge the person who pledged or sold the allegedly stolen property to the licensee, and any person who acted in consort with the pledgor or the seller to defraud the licensee, the amount the licensee paid or loaned for the allegedly stolen property, plus interest and storage charges provided for in section 4727.06 of the Revised Code.

"Where did you get this?"

"My Fiance and I just broke up, I just need the cash."

They ask questions before pawning.

Did the pawn shop take ID on the person that sold them the item?