What is a weapon other than a handgun?

87GT

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.12

says you can't conceal (1) A deadly weapon other than a handgun;

(2) A handgun other than a dangerous ordnance;

(3) A dangerous ordnance.

What does that mean? Lets say someone has a CHL, not concealing a firearm, but has a pocket knife. A generic locking blade for example. Is that a deadly weapon? Would you have to tell a LEO that pulled you over in this scenario you have a CHL plus the pocket knife ? How about mace? How about a taser? What if these are in a bookbag in the back seat? How much do you legally have to inform the LEO about?

Mace and tasers are not considered dangerous ordnance. Short knives/ pocket knives can be carried concealed as "tools". Legal length varies by different municipalities, it is in the grey area. I would say just keep the blade length below 2.5 inches should have you covered in most cities. Less you tell the cop the better, if you have a tool, you are not obligated to tell a cop that you have it. If you do have giant bowie knife under the seat and it is illegal to conceal in that city, you just got your self in trouble. You are protected by the 4th and 5th amendment, use it. From what I gather, promptly notification only applies to if you are carrying a loaded handgun.

Generally speaking, laws are built on top of each other, meaning somewhere else in the ORC there's likely a section which defines "deadly weapon" and "handgun." So I searched for it and here it is:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.11

"Deadly weapon" means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon.

Not very satisfying eh? So I did some more googling and apparently knife laws in Ohio aren't very specific or universal. I'd say we're left focusing on "designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon" and "capable of inflicting death." A pocket knife can be used as a weapon, same as a box-cutter, but neither would be generally considered to be "designed as weapons." Pepper spray isn't capable of inflicting death. Tasers haven't really been around long enough for much of a legal precedent; they're certainly capable of inflicting death, but only in rare instances, and only (as far as I know) the police ones, not the little anti-rape stun guns that people carry.

Generally speaking, laws are built on top of each other, meaning somewhere else in the ORC there's likely a section which defines "deadly weapon" and "handgun." So I searched for it and here it is:

Not very satisfying eh? So I did some more googling and apparently knife laws in Ohio aren't very specific or universal. I'd say we're left focusing on "designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon" and "capable of inflicting death." A pocket knife can be used as a weapon, same as a box-cutter, but neither would be generally considered to be "designed as weapons." Pepper spray isn't capable of inflicting death. Tasers haven't really been around long enough for much of a legal precedent; they're certainly capable of inflicting death, but only in rare instances, and only (as far as I know) the police ones, not the little anti-rape stun guns that people carry.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=5569

So,a rock, a bat, a length of pipe, a tree branch, crowbar.... basically anything solid.

All of these things can be this: "Deadly weapon" means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon."

:dumb:

KillJoy

If you're carrying a concealed crowbar along with a signed affidavit stating your intention to use it as a weapon then yeah, you're pretty much fucked under this law. And justly so. If you're a normal guy carrying normal things around in a normal manner, and you still think this law might give you trouble, I'd consult a lawyer or a medical professional.

So,a rock, a bat, a length of pipe, a tree branch, crowbar.... basically anything solid.

All of these things can be this: "Deadly weapon" means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon."

:dumb:

KillJoy

But none of those items were designed to be a deadly weapon. Just because they are capable of it doesn't mean that is their primary function. Using that line of thinking every single car on the road is a deadly weapon.

Also, Ohio CHL is only for handguns, it doesn't allow carry of any other form of weapon.

KillJoy

This is how I interpreted the law. I hope I am wrong.

Also, Ohio CHL is only for handguns, it doesn't allow carry of any other form of weapon.

I am sure a LEO could say my spyderco knife is a deadly weapon. This is what I am afraid of. Even so I won't leave my house without at least a knife.

I carry this all day, every day.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=708&pictureid=7224

When I was in Vances a couple years ago, there were two mifflin cops and a columbus officer. I asked them what the law was regarding legal blade lengths that I could carry concealed. None of them knew the answer.