WWCRD: 2014 Jeep Cherokee

Mallard

So there has been a lot of internet hate over the new Cherokee design, and I still think most of that hate comes from using "Cherokee" instead of calling it something else. However, forgetting all the hate, prices were announced yesterday and I'm wondering if that changes anyone's opinion.

Starting at 23k for a base model and going up to just under 30k for a Trailhawk 4x4. The V6 is optional. Would a well equipped Trailhawk or Limited 4x4 (if you're not into off-roading as much as leather/heated seats and steering wheel/ etc) for 30k sway your opinion?

$23k LOL

CVT LOL

I like the styling, but no stick=no care.

If I were going to soft-road a Jeep 4-door, it would probably be a used sub-$17k Patriot with 4WD and a manual over the new Cherokee.

CVT?? It's a 9 speed auto. The Patriot/Compass had a CVT until the latest model year. The Trailhawk is no soft-roader.

I get a pretty decent discount, but it depends on the car as to how much of a percent that is.

My biggest concern would be becoming a 1st year tester. Let's be honest, it's the rare automobile that comes out with no issues in its first year. This being a Chrysler/Fiat product, (and this even coming from a fan of Chrysler/Fiat), I'd almost bet on it.

CVT?? It's a 9 speed auto. The Patriot/Compass had a CVT until the latest model year. The Trailhawk is no soft-roader.

Thanks for correcting my McSteak...

WAIT...

Still doesn't change the fact that IT'S GONNA BAH-LOWWWW :gabe:

$30K Cherokee? IMO, do your credit a favor and finance a little more for a V6 Grand Cherokee.

While I do love the new GC, this wasn't really meant as a 'what should I buy' thread, but more to see if the price, capabilities and features would cause some people to overlook the controversial styling. I would copy/paste the standard feature list, but I'm on my phone.

For reference:

http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/cherokee/photos_and_videos/#filter=all

eep Cherokee Sport 4x2: $22,995

Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4: $24,995

Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x2: $24,495

Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4: $26,495

Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x2: $27,995

Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4: $29,995

Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4: $29,495

2014 Jeep Cherokee Sport

The Jeep Cherokee Sport model with a starting U.S. MSRP of $22,995 delivers a sleek, athletic design, world-class craftsmanship, fuel economy of up to 31 miles per gallon (mpg), a class-exclusive nine-speed automatic transmission and legendary Jeep capability in all weather conditions with a price point customers will value.

The Cherokee Sport model is powered by the new 2.4-liter MultiAir2 Tigershark I-4 engine which produces 184 horsepower and 171 lb.-ft. of torque and a driving range on a tank of gasoline of nearly 500 miles.

Standard equipment includes: Compact U.S. Wide (CUS-wide) platform and high-strength steel body, drivetrain with rear axle disconnect, black power mirrors and door handles, Uconnect 5.0-inch touchscreen media center with Bluetooth for hands-free phone and streaming audio capability and a media hub that offers USB, SD and auxiliary ports and charging capability, a new 3.5-inch full-color, thin-film transistor (TFT) LED center cluster, cloth seats with driver and passenger manual height adjuster, driver-seat back pocket, 60/40 split rear seat that reclines, has an armrest and cup holder and adjusts fore and aft up to six inches, acoustic, laminated front windshield, power windows with driver one-touch down, sliding sun visors with illuminated mirrors, cargo management system, 10 air bags including multistage driver and front passenger air bags, driver and front-passenger knee bags, front- and second-row seat-mounted side air bags, supplemental all-row side curtain air bags; LED tail lamps and daytime running lamps, halogen projector headlamps, bright exhaust tip, four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes, electronic stability control, traction control, Hill-start Assist, electric power steering, electric park brake, cruise control, air conditioning with rear outlets, remote keyless entry, power remote open fuel door, tire pressure monitoring system with four tire display, tire inflator kit, 17-inch steel wheels with all-season tires and class-exclusive Jeep Cargo Management system including standard hooks and storage tote and available lifestyle accessories.

Optional equipment and packages for the 2014 Cherokee Sport include: Jeep Active Drive I 4x4 system, Selec-Terrain drive mode selector (standard equipment with 4x4 equipped vehicles), SiriusXM Radio, ParkView rear backup camera with dynamic grid lines, 17-inch aluminum wheels, engine block heater, Cold Weather Group and Trailer-tow Group.

2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

The all-new 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude model is the volume model for the Cherokee lineup, has a starting U.S. MSRP of $24,495 and is packed with an impressive amount of standard and available features. The Cherokee Latitude model includes all the standard equipment found on the Sport model as well as: body color power mirrors and door handles, bright daylight opening (DLO) molding and roof rails, deep tint sunscreen glass, fog lamps, power windows with one-touch up and down, front passenger fold-flat seat with in-seat storage space, leather-wrapped steering wheel, ambient LED interior lighting, new 17-inch aluminum wheels, air conditioning with integrated center stack controls, 115-volt outlet and compact spare tire.

Optional equipment and packages on the Jeep Cherokee Latitude includes: new 3.2-liter Pentastar V-6 engine which produces 271 horsepower and 239 lb.-ft. of torque and a driving range on a tank of gasoline of 460 miles, Jeep Active Drive I 4x4 system, Jeep Active Drive II 4x4 system, Selec-Terrain drive mode selector (standard equipment with 4x4 equipped vehicles), 8.4-inch touchscreen Uconnect radio, 506-watt Alpine premium audio with nine speakers and subwoofer, CommandView dual-pane panoramic sunroof with power sunshade, engine block heater, Cold Weather Group, Comfort/Convenience Group and Trailer-tow Group.

2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

The all-new 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited model has a starting U.S. MSRP of $27,995 and offers the discerning customer luxury amenities at an affordable price point. The Cherokee Limited features the standard equipment of the Latitude model as well as leather heated power seats, heated steering wheel, Keyless Enter-N-Go, automatic headlamps, heated, signal mirrors with approach/courtesy lamps, bright lower fascia appliques front and rear, security alarm, new 18-inch polished/painted aluminum wheels with all-season tires, 8-way power driver seat with 4-way power driver lumbar adjust, 7-inch full-color, thin film transistor, reconfigurable instrument cluster, 8.4-inch touchscreen radio, SiriusXM Radio, USB in instrument panel media center for iPod, ParkView rear backup camera, remote start, dual-zone automatic temperature control, auto-dim rearview mirror, universal garage door opener, leather-wrapped shift knob and cargo net.

Optional equipment and packages include: new 3.2-liter Pentastar V-6 engine which produces 271 horsepower and 239 lb.-ft. of torque and a driving range on a tank of gasoline of 460 miles, Jeep Active Drive I, Jeep Active Drive II, Selec-Terrain drive mode selector (standard equipment with 4x4 equipped vehicles), Uconnect Access 8.4N HD radio with navigation and 8.4-inch touchscreen, wireless charging pad, 506-watt Alpine audio with nine speakers and subwoofer, CommandView dual-pane panoramic sunroof with power sunshade, engine block heater, Cold Weather Group, Technology Group, Comfort/Convenience Group, Trailer Tow Group and Luxury Group.

2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

With a starting U.S. MSRP of $29,495, the all-new 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk model is the ultimate expression of off-road ruggedness and performance delivering best-in-class Trail Rated 4x4 capability.

The Cherokee Trailhawk includes the standard equipment of the Cherokee Latitude model, as well as unique off-road front and rear fascias, off-road wheel flares, red tow hooks, skid plates, off-road suspension, one-inch increased ride height, heavy-duty engine cooling and auxiliary transmission oil cooler, Jeep Active Drive Lock 4x4 system with low range and locking rear axle, Selec-Terrain drive mode selector, new Selec-Speed Control with Hill-ascent Control and Hill-descent Control, heated, power mirrors, accent color mirrors, grille surrounds, lower fascia appliques and roof rails, black DLO moldings, red "Trail Rated" and "Trailhawk" badges, new 17-inch polished aluminum wheels with black painted pockets and OWL all-terrain tires, full-size spare tire, unique cloth and leather interior, red accent stitching on instrument panel brow, seats, door armrests, center console lid, shifter boot and console netting, red "Trailhawk" tag on console netting, leather-wrapped shift knob, 7-inch full-color, thin-film transistor, reconfigurable instrument cluster, 8.4-inch touchscreen radio, SiriusXM Radio, USB in instrument panel media center, cargo net and all-weather slush floor mats.

The Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk includes as standard equipment aggressive approach (29.8 degrees) and departure (32.1 degrees) angles – compliments of unique front and rear fascias – a one-inch factory lift, and boasts an approach angle of 29.8 degrees. Running ground clearance is 8.7 inches.

Optional equipment and packages include: new 3.2-liter Pentastar V-6 engine which produces 271 horsepower and 239 lb.-ft. of torque and a driving range on a tank of gasoline of 460 miles, matte black hood decal, Uconnect Access 8.4N HD radio with navigation and 8.4-inch touchscreen, 506-watt Alpine audio with nine speakers and subwoofer, CommandView dual-pane panoramic sunroof with power sunshade, SkySlider open air sunroof, engine block heater, Cold Weather Group, Technology Group, Comfort/Convenience Group, Trailer-tow Group and Leather Interior Group.

Not on my radar at all, so I looked it up on wiki. It's built on the Dart platform, which means it's an SUV in the same way as a RAV4, CRV, Escape, etc.

I'm still mad that those cars killed off the Corolla, Civic, Focus etc wagons, respectively, so if this stupid fake Cherokee means that they won't make a Dart wagon because soccer moms want to sit high up for no good reason, then fuck the new Cherokee.

I'm sure Chrysler is going to sell a shitload of them, though.

Looks like a Hyundai had sex with an Isuzu and then some alien abduction occurred during the birthing period.

:dumb:

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/images/Hyundai/th1/2013-Hyundai-Santa-Fe-1.jpg

http://www.chic-steals.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/plus_sign12.png

http://trialx.com/curetalk/wp-content/blogs.dir/7/files/2011/06/cars/2003_Isuzu_Axiom-2.jpg

http://www.baikbike.com/wp-content/uploads/equals-sign.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2013/02/2014-jeep-cherokee-2-opt.jpg

I actually like them. They're finally different than all the beige SUVs out there. However that picture, does the rear wheel look like its off?

Hmmm, now that you mention it...

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h268/bcherry2005/camber.jpg

I wouldn't base the fact that it shares a platform with the Dart as a reason that it's an off-road poser. The Trailhawk has a lot of capability and that was important to them when reusing the Cherokee name. There are plenty of unibody SUV's that are good offroaders, the Isuzu VehiCross comes to mind.

Trailhawk is the ultimate expression of Cherokee off-road ruggedness and performance with a factory

rear locker, 56:1 crawl ratio , skid plates, 20 inch water fording capability and off-road suspension with one-inch factory lift. [\quote]

I'll wait to see some actual off road mags reviews before I write it off as a lifted Dart/RAV4 wannabe.

Edited by Mallard

The original Cherokee is a unibody suv as well most mean its a poser too.

Honestly I love the looks and really like the trailhawk. I could see myself self the XJ for one depending on how roomy it is inside and how it would seat a family of 5.

Looks like a Hyundai had sex with an Isuzu and then some alien abduction occurred during the birthing period.

:dumb:

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/images/Hyundai/th1/2013-Hyundai-Santa-Fe-1.jpg

yeah, but I've drive both (new 2013 Jeep Rental) and the above in 2.0T Sport Fashion and the Koreans kill the Jeep.

my main desire is suburban mommy assault vehicle but in my testing the Jeep was by far no where near as nice. Anemic V6 that was a dog when trying to pass on the freeway and less than stellar styling. I really dig the style of the new SantaFe and even with just a 2.0T it moved out with authority even from a roll. Would love to have driven their 290hp V6. IMO, the Jeep would need a V8 to be remotely fun.

It's not they unibody that's a problem, it's the transverse engine and transaxle. I'm sure it's plenty capable down slick muddy roads, but so is a Rav4 for that matter, or a WRX. I don't think people will be lifting these with giant tires and two solid axles like they do with the XJ, mostly because I'm not sure how that would work.

The Liberty seems like it was a better Jeep in every respect, but nobody ever seemed all that excited about those. I'm sure the new Cherokee will have no problems outselling it 2 to 1 by giving the masses what they really want. I just wish they wanted a Dart Wagon instead.

It's not they unibody that's a problem, it's the transverse engine and transaxle. I'm sure it's plenty capable down slick muddy roads, but so is a Rav4 for that matter, or a WRX. I don't think people will be lifting these with giant tires and two solid axles like they do with the XJ, mostly because I'm not sure how that would work.

The Liberty seems like it was a better Jeep in every respect, but nobody ever seemed all that excited about those. I'm sure the new Cherokee will have no problems outselling it 2 to 1 by giving the masses what they really want. I just wish they wanted a Dart Wagon instead.

The transverse engine does bug my a bit I also think it should be RWD when in 2wd mode but it is what it is. The trailhawk is lifted 1 inch I am guessing it's done with bushings.

The Liberty seems like it was a better Jeep in every respect, but nobody ever seemed all that excited about those.

2nd gen was just a rebadged Dodge Nitro wasn't it? Not much to get excited about...