Best Antivirus that doesn't bog a system down

TTQ B4U

Had to replace the hard drive in a 6-7yr old laptop that's no longer the top of the heap in terms of speed. It's only got 1mb RAM and runs the Intell U1400 1.2GHz processor but is a solid PC nonetheless. I can bump the RAM to 1.5mb but it's a funky micro-dimm that I'd have to source somewhere. The laptop is my old Panasonic Toughbook W5.

I really have had great success with not getting any virus or bugs due to smart surfing but also MSE on my other PC's combined with Malwarebytes have been great.

The problem is MSE seems to really, really slow this laptop down and hog 80-90% of the CPU Cycles. Not sure WTF is going on. It barely dents the CPU cycles on my other machines but they are i7's with a lot more grunt and memory.

It's a completely new drive and fresh Win 7 32bit install with MSOffice 2010 is all that's on it now and MSE still bogs it down.

I'm running a license version of Malwarebytes and real time protection but am wondering what else would be good to use that's not a system resource hog?

Thoughts?

Best antivirus? No antivirus. Keep your systems patched and you will never get a known virus, anti virus is only good for known viruses... Any virus that has mutated isn't going to be detected by signature based AV.

Regular patching, looking at your browsers and patching all browser applications (adobe, java, etc...) is the best security.

I work for Qualys so I can state with a pretty good idea of the space, running a tool like our browsercheck will keep you safe. https://browsercheck.qualys.com

Best antivirus? No antivirus. Keep your systems patched and you will never get a known virus, anti virus is only good for known viruses... Any virus that has mutated isn't going to be detected by signature based AV.

Regular patching, looking at your browsers and patching all browser applications (adobe, java, etc...) is the best security.

I work for Qualys so I can state with a pretty good idea of the space, running a tool like our browsercheck will keep you safe. https://browsercheck.qualys.com

That isn't true. You can still get Viruses from opening mail attachments, etc...