Building my kid a lowered radio flyer wagon

DaddyBuiltRacing

Got the tub back from the sandblaster today, no more rust!! Also mocked up the rear wheels just to get an idea of what I am working with. I will need a full size pickup truck to haul this thing to the track. The one good thing is the bottom of the pan will sit about 3-5 inches off the ground.

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy218/guy_from_nerk/1004909_10151776244021907_300386772_n_zps6f19d9ca.jpg

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy218/guy_from_nerk/1397_10151776244161907_1874868614_n_zpsd31449aa.jpg

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy218/guy_from_nerk/543812_10151776244441907_744728584_n_zps8ca6f309.jpg

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rant about this silly fad:

The whole point of the wagon is so the young children have nothing to grab onto but the wagon and just have a fun time being pulled by their parents/family. It's not "Hey, lets lower it to the ground, put stupid big tires in arms reach so that the kids can get hurt or jack it up 2 feet in the air and watch my kid want to climb out n break his neck". Or lets just make these so that the dad gets attention and really has nothing to do with their kids. The whole idea of modding these is fucking full potato. I'm sure 99% of these modded wagons haven't even seen a kid inside them. Now lil Jimmie, pose in front of the wagon like you're about to get in it and i'll snap some pics to send to my other hipster friends to show them my skills. :dumb:

In the end I'm just thinking of safety when putting my young infants/children in a wagon since they have no control over their actions and are still in "curious lets grab everything" mode. This would be different if they were alot older.

(Father of 10month old fraternal twin boys)

• Upvote 1

The whole point of the wagon is so the young children have nothing to grab onto but the wagon and just have a fun time being pulled by their parents/family. It's not "Hey, lets lower it to the ground, put stupid big tires in arms reach so that the kids can get hurt or jack it up 2 feet in the air and watch my kid want to climb out n break his neck". Or lets just make these so that the dad gets attention and really has nothing to do with their kids. The whole idea of modding these is fucking full potato. I'm sure 99% of these modded wagons haven't even seen a kid inside them. Now lil Jimmie, pose in front of the wagon like you're about to get in it and i'll snap some pics to send to my other hipster friends to show them my skills. :dumb:

In the end I'm just thinking of safety when putting my young infants/children in a wagon since they have no control over their actions and are still in "curious lets grab everything" mode. This would be different if they were alot older.

So... all of a sudden your paternal safety-minded responsible side kicks in?

You think stock height wagons are safe? I fell out of mine a lot when I was a kid lmao. This has nothing to do with being trendy or apart of a fad, it has everything to do with being bored, buying a $5-$20 wagon and having fun with it. So far I have $60 in this, that includes the cost of the wagon. Still cheaper than buying one from Walmart. I can assure you that my kid will be using this, thanks for your concerns though! BTW my kid is 3, not 10months old so it's a little different situation... Edited by DaddyBuiltRacing

Bah it is going to look sweet when it is done. I see no problem putting a kid in that, not a 10 month old though.

I never worn a bike helmet when I was a kid, we did not have tamper proof outlets, and there was lead and asbestos in my home. I am fine.

Bah it is going to look sweet when it is done. I see no problem putting a kid in that, not a 10 month old though.

I never worn a bike helmet when I was a kid, we did not have tamper proof outlets, and there was lead and asbestos in my home. I am fine.

Don't forget about not wearing seat belts, sitting the front seat, and my personal favorite the 100 lb. TV on the 5 lb. stand.

Looks like a cool project. I'll bet your kid looks back at pictures years from now and smiles at his wagon that his dad built for him.

http://expatlog.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/think-of-the-children.jpg

I don't baby my son like others in this generation do (he's 6 FWIW). I rode bikes, skateboards, roller blades, snowboards, etc without helmets, fought my brother and sister for the front seat, was at home by myself for hours from the age 10+. If you do the parenting right you have nothing to worry about.

I feel this reaction is about 10x too much for this thread.

This is not a scientific measurement, however.

I feel this reaction is about 10x too much for this thread.

This is not a scientific measurement, however.

I agree...

So you get annoyed with people that have hobbies? So what if people do it more for themselves, than for a kid? Some people like kinkering with things, just for the sake of doing it...

Like I said. Older kids would be fine in it. I'm just not going to put 10mo-1yr old kids in it and that's the age my boys are now. I don't baby them. They'll have guns n 4wheelers in a few years. We live out in the country and so they'll get crazy. I just don't want to put them in something at the age they are at now where they don't understand what they're doing such as putting hands in spokes of wheels, grabbing shit, etc

Yea, and that is all good, and I agree with it... I was more referring to your rant about not liking how adults did it for themselves to be 'cool'... which i see no issue with...

I wouldnt put a baby in one either, or a toddler under 2... but would let my 3 year old have one, for sure.

Settle your shit. I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about how absurd it is that this is even being debated. The guy wants to build his kid a personalized wagon. Kudos to him for making something personal. My comment wasn't even directed at you, and I'm the cocksucker? Sure thing.

Yesterday my buddy called me asking if I wanted to buy some more rims/tires. Since only 2 of my rims matched and I really want to run 4 slicks I said sure. I also picked up all the materials we need to build the frame and axle. I did have to re-order the hubs since I bought the wrong ones, ooops! I also dropped the body off yesterday to my buddy to get powder coated, he had a color chip there and I love it. I wasn't aware of all the metallic in this color but there's a lot of it.

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy218/guy_from_nerk/1150835_10151779888051907_683636666_n_zpsd961a4e0.jpg

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy218/guy_from_nerk/1098011_10151779883626907_152091973_n_zps3006c71a.jpg

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy218/guy_from_nerk/971607_10151779741035295_463276306_n_zps3347ff14.jpg

Edited by DaddyBuiltRacing

Gotta rebuild it. Make it stronger. :)

Like I said. Older kids would be fine in it. I'm just not going to put 10mo-1yr old kids in it and that's the age my boys are now. I don't baby them. They'll have guns n 4wheelers in a few years. We live out in the country and so they'll get crazy. I just don't want to put them in something at the age they are at now where they don't understand what they're doing such as putting hands in spokes of wheels, grabbing shit, etc

Wagons = unsafe. 3 year olds with quads and guns = safe. :lol:

I see what you're saying though. For older children it's cool though, especially if the kid is helping.

"Building my kid a lowered radio flyer wagon"

Let's all tell him why it's possibly unsafe for our own children.

OP, I think it's awesome that you're doing this project with your son. From previous posts, he's clearly a gearhead in training and I'm sure he's going to have a blast through the building process and actually using his creation when it's completed.