Building my kid a lowered radio flyer wagon

DaddyBuiltRacing

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one so here is mine. I like how it looks in the pic but it could use a little improvement. If it were me I would make it a little lower and add a little more to the extension bar (a couple diagonal braces from the outside edges of the tub to the center of the support bar). Again this is just my opinion and as long as your son enjoys it then that's all that matters. :thumbup:

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you! Glad I got your approval, can't wait to see yours ;)

I wish I know how to weld or have enough time to build something like this, but I don't. If you're looking at your last picture and you think that wagon looks good, you're in deny. How can you have a shiny tub, polish wheels, and have those bare metal and janky handle slap together and think that look good (I know it's not a finish product)? I bet you if you have the stock tub on there it'll look better than what it is right now. Anyway, if your son think it's cool than that's all it matter. Please don't take this the wrong way, it's constructive criticism. Plus I don't want you to vaporize at the next track day.

I got it just about 99% of the way complete and was able to take the kid for a walk around the neighborhood in it. Still gotta mount side markers, extend the handle (I hate being so tall) and paint it.

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy218/guy_from_nerk/1187089_10151811913836907_1488036731_n_zps33620a1a.jpg

http://i793.photobucket.com/albums/yy218/guy_from_nerk/1157493_10151813511555295_1990708208_n_zpsa58521ea.jpg

does the shaft separating the body from the front wheels swivel or does it remain straight forward? First thing I thought was you need to hunt down some sort of model engine the right size to mount to the thing and make it a roadster. Would look into it if it were me and it doesn't swivel. Would probably go as far to add a 5" or so plexiglass windshield that leans back a tad,and a seat back as well :)

Looks neat. Seems he's happy and that's all that matters.

The shaft from the body to the swivel stays straight. There is a hold drilled on the end of it that allows a pin to run down through it, into the stock swivel piece, allowing the front wheels to turn. The straight shaft is also drilled/pinned closer to the tub so I can remove the whole front end and make it easy to transport. I would like to put some sort of seat in there for him, just need to find one I like that fits the wagon.

Might be able to find a nice seat from a bass boat or something that would fold down. Could be a neat seat for it

Like one of these styles.

http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/m/2/204009_ts.jpg

http://www.easepal.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/500x500/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/l/plastic-boat-seat_1.jpg

Says every parent until it happens. Kids don't always pay attention.

Well i'll worry about him, you just worry about you :gabe:

Looks awesome! Props to you and I'm sure it'll be a hit.

Any thoughts to selling it? :)

Thanks! It won't be for sale anytime soon. I have thought about picking up another wagon to build and flip possibly. Although with as much money as I have in this one, I don't think anyone would pay enough for me to make a profit or break even honestly.

Wagon: $20

Sandblasting: $30

Powder Coating: $50

Hubs: $61

Wheels: $50

Metal for frame: $40

Misc Nuts/Bolts/Pins: $15

Total: 266ish

Having a happy kid: Priceless

I still have to buy stuff to extend the handle, which shouldn't be too much. You can buy wagons already done, but doing it yourself is cheaper. The one site I found that sold these wanted $479 plus shipping for basically the same thing I built at home. I am getting ready to build a 4x4 inspired one for 2 of my nieces. I am hoping I can find some ways to save money (looking into different sandblaster/powder coater).

Places like, bmikarts.com, Lowes and Tractor Supply Company were very helpful in building this. That is really the only 3 places I bought anything from.

And I am sure I have thought about this as well. Last thing I would do is put my kid in harms way

Well, since you are so standoffish I guess I feel compelled to reply.

Judging by the pic, it's hard to tell if there is sufficient room between the pan and wheel so I just thought I'd ask if it was possible or there are plans to guard that area. Since this is a project, others may want to emulate and one may not consider that small fingers may get wedged between the pan and tire. Obviously since you and your child are impervious to injury, this doesn't concern you but others may want to be made aware of such possibilities.

Well, since you are so standoffish I guess I feel compelled to reply.

Judging by the pic, it's hard to tell if there is sufficient room between the pan and wheel so I just thought I'd ask if it was possible or there are plans to guard that area. Since this is a project, others may want to emulate and one may not consider that small fingers may get wedged between the pan and tire. Obviously since you and your child are impervious to injury, this doesn't concern you but others may want to be made aware of such possibilities.

I'm standoffish? I have reason to be, have you not read this thread? There is maybe 3 positive comments out of 4 pages lol. Of course I am going to be standoffish when people question me putting my kid in harms way. There is space between the wheels and the tub, he knows to keep his hands inside the wagon, it will not be getting pulled very fast at all.

You should probably wrap him in bubble wrap before he leaves the house too...

No shit, and people wonder why there is a current generation of pussies running around. It's not like the thing is going to be doing 90mph with him in it, at best it may go 1mph. I am so glad I created this thread, in typical CR fashion it has been a real great experience :lolguy:

I don't think it has anything to do with being standoffish. It's more that it's annoying when some one tries to tell you how to parent, or constantly says something about what may or may not happen to a child because he plays with this, or that. Especially when the dangers are as obvious as they are in this thread. We can all get hurt doing the most basic things and I am sure it has crossed Josh's mind about what may or may not happen to his sons fingers.

I recently had a lady try to tell me my son shouldn't play with toy guns because it sends the wrong message, and that I shouldn't be giving rides on the mower because it's dangerous. I don't engage the blades when he's riding and we putt around the property. Same lady rolled her eyes when she heard my son has a 7.5' foot trampoline in the house. Happiest 2 year old ever. lol go fuck yourself lady.

I read the same type of responses when someone submitted a video of my son pointing out my turbo to Jalopnik. People posted nothing but comments about how it was smart to let him touch a hot turbo, as if I would ever let him do that, or how it was smart to teach him it was ok to touch the car whenever he wanted...cmon now.

I read the same type of responses when someone submitted a video of my son pointing out my turbo to Jalopnik. People posted nothing but comments about how it was smart to let him touch a hot turbo, as if I would ever let him do that, or how it was smart to teach him it was ok to touch the car whenever he wanted...cmon now.

I can appreciate the concern to a point.

From family members, maybe...random ass people, no thanks!

good point but the way I look at is the same people who are making suggestions could be the same folks to jump in and help if something were to happen. It's the ones who constantly bring it up that piss me off.