Tips on carryout orders?

TimTaylor751647545500

I was having a discussion with someone regarding tipping on carryout orders earlier. Does a server working in a sit-down restaurant that is assigned to work the carryout area typically make a different wage than a server assigned to the dine-in section? I rarely add a tip on a carryout order because more often than not, its a person in a management role that is putting my order together. Discuss.

Some places carry out people just do carry out and do make the wage of a server since they are serving just in a slightly different way.

Some places though make normal wage plus tips.

Think of it this way, if the person taking the phone order is the one that's helping you when you get there then yes tip them. Reason being is They take your order, get your drinks sides meal what ever you would of needed while you were doing the sit down experience, just all at once. So they are doing the same thing just a few less steps. In this regard you should tip half of what you would had you sat down... (unless its like under a 20$ order then tip normal )

If its a different person from start to finish then meh im mixed on this and I wouldn't as the person cashing you out would probably get the tip and not share it(shady bastards)

This is coming from a person that's worked as a server for 10 years also doing carryout and places that make both types of wages for carryout.

I don't tip carry out orders. Although I feel bad for the server if they are forced to work at the carry out desk, that is the companies fault, not mine. From what I know, servers don't typically work at the carry out counter. If I'm not actually being served, and I spend my time/gas money to drive there and just be handed my food, why should I tip? I'll tip delivery, and if I'm dining in.

Some places carry out people just do carry out and do make the wage of a server since they are serving just in a slightly different way.

Some places though make normal wage plus tips.

Think of it this way, if the person taking the phone order is the one that's helping you when you get there then yes tip them. Reason being is They take your order, get your drinks sides meal what ever you would of needed while you were doing the sit down experience, just all at once. So they are doing the same thing just a few less steps. In this regard you should tip half of what you would had you sat down... (unless its like under a 20$ order then tip normal )

I wouldnt tip in a sitdown situation if everything just happened at once. I am tipping for being waited on, not for someone just grabbing my food and drink

is this real life? Have to get in my car and go pick something up you want a tip?

^^ this. while on vacation we ordered some Italian food for pickup and when I walked in the girl prepared everything and handed me a receipt and made it a point to walk me through here's the total, gratuity line, tax, etc...and for me to sign here ______

I took that as a thorough sales pitch for a tip but I don't tip on pick up. Delivery I do but it's minimal, especially if they charge a delivery fee.

is this real life? Have to get in my car and go pick something up you want a tip?

^^ this. while on vacation we ordered some Italian food for pickup and when I walked in the girl prepared everything and handed me a receipt and made it a point to walk me through here's the total, gratuity line, tax, etc...and for me to sign here ______

I took that as a thorough sales pitch for a tip but I don't tip on pick up. Delivery I do but it's minimal, especially if they charge a delivery fee.

These. Gooby fucking pls.

depends on the place for me and who's putting the food together. You can usually tell if it's a server doing it so in that case I'll tip but on carry out I don't do 20%.....couple bucks usually. The whole idea of tipping has gotten out of hand. Servers expect it but just like any industry there are people who just aren't good at it. There's really only 2 ways to let them know they're not good at it. Tell them verbally or tell them with the tip. Tips are not guaranteed money. I don't go into a place looking for a reason not to tip and I'll even rationalize whether it was the servers fault or the kitchens fault when leaving a tip. You can usually tell. I also don't have a problem with leaving a crappy tip for crappy service.

The places I go a lot I do because most of them get to know me and shit they make sure it's %100.

Yeah, I started doing that recently with a wings place up the street from me where I went a good bit for the same reason. Of course they went out of business 2 weeks ago so back to no tips for carry out. :lolguy:

Yeah, I started doing that recently with a wings place up the street from me where I went a good bit for the same reason. Of course they went out of business 2 weeks ago so back to no tips for carry out. :lolguy:

Roosters drive wings 2 go out of business?

you do realize generally MORE prep work goes into a carry out then if you sat in the restaurant. they are a serious pain in the ass! at least where i tended at. something like a bw's not so much...

Same thing at McDonald's. tons of fucking prep work. They have to put lids on shit and put stuff in a bag, put the drinks in a carrier, and throw napkins and ketchup packets in the bag. I tip for service. Carry out is not seen as 'waiting' in my mind. You will likely disagree, but that's how most see it.

The kid that works the counter at Donatos here always gives me a bunch of extra free shit and the family discount, so I tip him and anyone else that does that for me at other places. If they don't, I usually don't tip. I'm picking shit up and leaving, they're not refilling my drinks, bringing me extra shit that I need or cleaning up after me like they would be if I had dined in. And when I do dine in, I normally leave generous tips because they deserve it...unless they suck ass, then fuck them.

Delivery fee's typically don't go to the person actually doing the delivery. Usually if i order a pizza I ask the store if they charge a fee and I'll be blunt about asking if that fee goes towards the driver, the answer is usually no and therefore I tip.

I heard a good explanation of it earlier, if you're in the position choosing between an extra buck or a few extra dollars what does it really mean to you? As in, if i order 15$ of food is an extra 3$ really going to break me?

I've always tipped well, you pretty much have to be the worst server ever for me NOT to tip you. In addition to that, if something is wrong half the time the manager will come over and comp it anyway, in that case I'll still leave a tip unless its horrendous.

And yes I tip on carry out orders, however its usually a lot less than what I would tip a server in a traditional sit-down restaurant.