no sound out of speakers

The_buster

I installed an aftermarket stereo in the maxima, It originally had the Bose system in it. The previous owner already removed the bose head unit and had a working aftermarket stereo he took out when we traded. The stereo turns on, but the antennae wont go up nor do I have any sound at all. No buzzing or static or anything. Is there a was to test speakers to see if they work? Im hoping I don't have to run new speaker wire.

after wiring up my surround sound, I had a mass of wires sticking out the wall next to my receiver. The way my buddy told me to test to see which wires go to what speaker was to rub the wires on a 9V battery and that specific speaker will play some static.. Not sure if that's a good way to test if a speaker is good or bad though, I guess.

When I replaced the head unit in my i30 I had to buy something like this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142C4NN03/Scosche-CNN03-Factory-Integration-Adapter.html

Yup, you're likely going to need one of them thinga-ma-jiggy's.

Edit, even without one of those adapters you should be able to get some sound out of the speakers. As others have said check for an on-speaker amp and make sure it is getting 12v.

It will be easier to buy a harness. Just start fresh. I went trough this with my Supra. It literally makes it so easy anyone can do it. Match the harness wires that are labeled with the corresponding wire on the stereo, test it out, then wrap the connections in electrical tape to ensure they stay put. Not sure if that is how everyone does it but it worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...
I had a friend look it over, he went to school for aviation electronic stuff I guess, he said it was hooked properly.

turned out I had two wires that needed hooked up that my friend said i didn't need.

What two wires?

Did he graduate and where did he go to school?