What mods for a 2014 Ford 5.0?

TurboGoKart

My co-worker picked up a 2014 Mustang 5.0 a few weeks ago and is asking me what he should do to it now. Pretty sure he doesn't want to go turbo with it, but he was looking at a Rousch kit, but I'm pretty sure you could do more bang for the money than one of those kits, yes? He's not too worried about the looks aspect of those kits, which is why I figured you could get more engine mods for the money.

I'm just too unfamiliar with the mods on these to recommend something for him. What mods would you do for that price area of a Rousch kit?

The major benefit of the Roush kit is the ability to keep the warranty. I'm not sure whether it's still through Ford or through Roush afterwards, but I know you must use Roush's tune, which is very conservative. From what I've read on the 5.0s, the best beginning mods for the money are a shifter/shifter bracket and a tune, but sounds to me like he's got a much larger budget to work with.

If he's familiar with how forums work, tell him to get on svtperformance and read for weeks until he decides what's best for him. The aftermarket is huge for them, so it all just depends on his budget and what he feels the car is lacking.

The major benefit of the Roush kit is the ability to keep the warranty. I'm not sure whether it's still through Ford or through Roush afterwards, but I know you must use Roush's tune, which is very conservative. From what I've read on the 5.0s, the best beginning mods for the money are a shifter/shifter bracket and a tune, but sounds to me like he's got a much larger budget to work with.

If he's familiar with how forums work, tell him to get on svtperformance and read for weeks until he decides what's best for him. The aftermarket is huge for them, so it all just depends on his budget and what he feels the car is lacking.

Yeah he does have a bigger budget than just the shifter. I'll pass that on and the forum as well.

Hope he got an auto if he plans on heavily modding it.

What's so bad about the manual? His is a manual. And I'm sure he won't "heavily" modify it, as he's still settling into it in stock form lol.

I'd recommend a TVS ( Roush ) setup, bang for the buck i'm not sure you can top them. Great power and great tq as well. VMP makes a nice kit for the TVS as well. There's always centri blowers as well. They have the potential to put out massive power but the tq curve is not there like the TVS.

As for Basic mods to start off with, a Tune, shifter bracket, AB and an O/R pipe. Anything more than that it's really not worth the $ for Hp.

Really depends on what he wants to accomplish with the car.

I only have a Tune and AB and I'm @ 396/358 M6 3.31 car.

Call Brady @ PPC he will steer ya in the right direction

Yeah he does have a bigger budget than just the shifter. I'll pass that on and the forum as well.

What's so bad about the manual? His is a manual. And I'm sure he won't "heavily" modify it, as he's still settling into it in stock form lol.

Just ask Tina why she got rid of their manual Mustang and went back to an f-body. The thing locked her out of gear all the time, she never got a clean pass at the track. Cars are shitty, so I'm gonna suggest an insurance fire.

I would say it all comes down to how much power he wants and how far he wants to push to the edge. If he is wanting to go supercharger, the Roush blower is a great blower and you do have the option of keeping the factory warranty as long as it is installed by an authorized Roush dealer, which in Columbus is either us or Krieger iirc. Roush charges a $300 fee to retain the warranty and it is handled by Roush from there on out. You do have to run their tune to keep the warranty.

There is usually plenty of power left on the table with the Roush tune. For example, a Stage 3 (which they rate at 575hp) will usually make 490-510 rwhp. With a cai upgrade and tune, we typically see about 80-90 hp gains which is plenty for the stock bottom end in my opinion. Aside from that, a clutch upgrade will probably be needed if he plans to run it very hard and depending on how far he would want to push it, billet oil pump gears also become a good idea.

If he is wanting to stay naturally aspirated, a tune and maybe gears (depending on what is in it currently) is about all I would do. The stock airbox flows really well, so there is minimal gain with a cai. There is a tad with an offroad x or h but again, not enough to justify cost in my opinion.

Everyone likes to bring up the trans. There certainly has been some issues but no where near as many as everyone would have you believe. I wouldnt worry about it too much. We do a ton of these cars and havent had any trans issues other than some stock clutch failures. Ive also beat the living daylights out of our test car. I broke the driveshaft, the limited slip, and seperated the stock clutch from the pressure plate. The trans still works perfectly fine. The biggest issue really is the clutch not disengaging at high rpm. As power comes in harder, the issue becomes more pronounced. Upgrade the clutch and that becomes a non issue.

I'd recommend a TVS ( Roush ) setup, bang for the buck i'm not sure you can top them. Great power and great tq as well. VMP makes a nice kit for the TVS as well. There's always centri blowers as well. They have the potential to put out massive power but the tq curve is not there like the TVS.

As for Basic mods to start off with, a Tune, shifter bracket, AB and an O/R pipe. Anything more than that it's really not worth the $ for Hp.

Really depends on what he wants to accomplish with the car.

I only have a Tune and AB and I'm @ 396/358 M6 3.31 car.

Call Brady @ PPC he will steer ya in the right direction

This exactly.

Tell him to pick up a cammed LS1 F-Body for $6-7k, use some leftover potential Ford purchase funds on making it run 9s, use the remainder to take a nice vacation. Then tell him to go tell Ford to go fuck themselves.

Their "customer service" is worse than their vehicles.

They are junk, and they are like glass. They barely hold stock power vehicles. If he gets on SVTperformance, there is TONS of info regarding the junk manuals that came in those cars. If he is dead set on keeping it manual, FIRST mod should be a shifter. Either a MGW, or a Barton. As far as other mods, CAI, tune, catback, and some nitrous(150ish) and it'll fly and hurt a lot of feelings.

Tell him to pick up a cammed LS1 F-Body for $6-7k, use some leftover potential Ford purchase funds on making it run 9s, use the remainder to take a nice vacation. Then tell him to go tell Ford to go fuck themselves.

Their "customer service" is worse than their vehicles.

ohhhwwwwwwwaaawwww

I agree with Trukin 100%.

My 5.0 @ 36k miles is starting to get difficult to shift the M-82 trans. Other than that, the SCT tuner, off road Xpipe and cat back have been phenomenal. I beat my car like it owes me money though and it has been nothing but smiles. A replacement magnum trans is being considered for reliability and future mods.

With all of that being said, my old 2010 camaro SS was more refined than this mustang will ever be and the resale values are extremely strong. Good luck.