German Purple Money Eater.

Farkas

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome color

If this thing ends up slammed like some clapped out 90s integra with cut springs, I will set this car on fire myself

I'm confused.. Isn't the Esprit the equivalent of a clapped out Integra? :dumb:

All joking aside, Esprit V8s have been a long time love for me. I guess you'll just have to hate me for it lol.

Nice find- love the color and your plans for it! I have wanted one of the 95-97 turbo or 4S models since they came out but they just wont drop in price far enough for me to take the plunge.

I'm with you on that one. The 993 would be my choice of Porsches, but like you said, the prices just aren't coming down and it doesn't look like they're going to dip any further. The explosion of people suddenly buying Porsches because they're becoming more mainstream in media influenced me quite a bit. Not because I wanted one like everyone else, but I can't see the prices getting any cheaper. They're just going to go up from this point on, and maybe in 10-20 years I'll have doubled the price of my car in resale? I was actually debating a FR-S or 964 since they're close in value, but I think I've got a better resale value with the Porsche, any day.

Might be wishful thinking, but I really don't see prices going down much further with popularity of the younger crowd increasing.

I ended up taking mine home for 16k... I honestly still can't believe it.

You may think that's the purchase price, but I suspect when all's said and done, it'll be more like the down payment ......

I'd contribute to a betting pool on the date this one will be sold. :p

Although I'm not saying you might not make a profit on it. You never know when Barney might stage a comeback, and this color will come back into style.

Well, if everyone doesn't mind, I'm going to use this thread as a progress log for the 964.

just because I see this car everywhere and it makes me think of this thread...this is one of my all time favorite 964's.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5485/9378932829_09de8a50f9_b.jpg

This is Rotiform Brian's car, the same car I actually posted earlier that was black on the gold BBS wheels and RSs. He had it shipped over to the UK and gone-over by a very well known shop called AP Car Design and then he went to a few big shows in Austria when he debuted it for the first time with the new color.

Brian is one of the owners of Rotiform, which is a pretty big name in the wheel and automotive scene, but he's a newcomer to the Porsche "scene." He's made a pretty big impact as far as 964s go, and for people like me, can be a pretty good go-to for sourcing wheels.

I was actually able to use my connections to get Brian's cell number and talk to him about my plans for the car, and I persuaded him to find, restore, and build me a set of E26s identical to the gold ones he had when the car was black. I made some slight adjustments to the offsets and sizing he had, but it's nearly identical to what he had.

Another pic for reference:

http://royal-origin.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/rotiform8.jpg

You might be wondering what's so special about the E26, and why it's so hard to get ahold of. The Motorsport line of BBS wheels is a line of wheels that was typically purchased by top level motorsport teams for race application. GT cars, Lemans, Cup, you name it.. these are the wheels to have. The majority of them that have been offered and long discontinued like the E26s, all use Magnesium centers, very lightweight barrels and lips, and titanium hardware- very serious stuff. Because they were so pricey new, and usually only bought by racing teams, there are very limited quantities of them out in circulation. Only way I can justify having a set built, is the fact that I know I will have zero problem reselling them, IF I can find the heart to let them go lol.

Brian is also a distributor for H&R coilovers, and because he has so many contacts, he has actually designed a coilover specifically for the 964 that can lower the car 3-4 inches from stock, and still retain the ride quality you'd expect of a well-built car. Of course I worked out a deal with him for the last set he had stateside :)

SOOOOO, I'm patiently waiting for two expensive and exciting packages to arrive on my doorstep. I didn't intend on jumping in feet first this quick, but when wheels this rare and coilovers that normally take 6-8 months become available, I rather not lose the opportunity.

TL;DR- I'm now poor

Now, I've been sitting here trying to think of plate ideas... I've got a couple I like, but I'm also looking for suggestions.

Here's what I have:

farklefitment is my handle people seem to know me by on a lot of forums, as well as instagram

standard_blank.gif&x=-18&y=35&color=DarkBlue&height=100px&width=200px&plateImageFormat=Gif

A little hard for some to figure out. hint- read upside down.

standard_blank.gif&x=-18&y=35&color=DarkBlue&height=100px&width=200px&plateImageFormat=Gif

For jones- The crowd pleaser

Edited by Farkas

Should be a fun car, when are you swapping in a Turbo?

Josh, I've actually looked into what would be involved.. and for an NA to be converted to a hi-pressure turbo setup would involve quite a bit, which I'm frankly not interested in getting into. TPC does make a bolt-on supercharger setup that produces a nice 100hp jump over stock that a lot of people have positive feedback about. Maybe down the line when I get money saved up again, but until then I'll enjoy the car for what it is.