German Purple Money Eater.

Farkas

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spotted you today on 256. Knew it was you immediately - could tell by the stance of the car. Looked great :thumbup:

Hahaha thanks!

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/the-964-is-one-of-the-best-looking-911s-ever-1559074275/1559137204/+ballaban

I do like the 993, but I may have to agree with them about the 964. Because....you know...

LAST OF THE SIDE LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS

Well, funny they post an article like that because when the 964 was released in late '89, people thought it was awful, ugly, and grotesque in comparison to every 911 in history. For years it had been seen as the red-headed step-child, even next to the 993 which I find to be pretty far fetched from the look of the original 911.

Now that it's one of the last air-cooled cars around with the traditional looking headlights and etc., Porsche purists are changing their views on the car and starting to really accept them and love them. What it is exactly they don't find attractive about the car is beyond me, but then again this is the body style Porsche I grew up admiring as a child.

I grew up with the 80s-style, Billy Ocean "Get Out Of My Dreams, Get Into My Car" kinda 911 era, and I loved when the 964 came out they got rid of the accordian bumper fillers and basically made the smoothest air-cooled body without ruining the lines.

Every other 911 body evolution since then has ran away from that mold. Certainly they've been successful for the most part, but I love the 964.

...again, because side license plate lights :D

I just felt that the adoration for your hideous car had gone on long enough and this thread needed to be euthanized. Now that I've taken a dump in it, I feel my work here is complete.

CCW just called... they said they have your lug nuts, but I said you were no longer interested. Good day, sir.

:dumb:

...In no way could I blame Rotiform for what had happened to me on my trip and it really wasn't his problem at all, but he took initiative by sending me all new parts, free of charge. I couldn't believe he would do something so nice...

I don't understand. If a company manufacturers/assembles/sells rims and they fail on their maiden voyage due to either defective hardware or improper assembly, how is it not said company's fault? Sending new bolts was the very least this company could have done. It's a damned good thing you pulled over before the barrels came apart.

Semi-related: Could you have repaired your rims at the show? I'm sure there was a Lowe's, Fastenal, or similar nearby. Or had a local shop replace the bolts right quick.

I don't understand. If a company manufacturers/assembles/sells rims and they fail on their maiden voyage due to either defective hardware or improper assembly, how is it not said company's fault? Sending new bolts was the very least this company could have done. It's a damned good thing you pulled over before the barrels came apart.

Semi-related: Could you have repaired your rims at the show? I'm sure there was a Lowe's, Fastenal, or similar nearby. Or had a local shop replace the bolts right quick.

Maiden voyage isn't quite the word... more like first actual trip of distance beside driving around Columbus. I probably put close to 2k miles on them before this event occurred.

As far as repairing the wheels at the show- Possibly, but it would've just ruined my trip and been a hassle. The barrels were showing stress cracks after disassembly and I don't think that would've been very wise to try and bandaid something like that for 3 hours with new hardware.

I'm with doc on this one.

Yes, the car does look good. But, if I am buying a racehorse, I would take it to the racetrack, not fluf it's main and call it a show pony. I hate that people mod cars and make them less functional than they were in their OEM state. There are plenty of ways to make a car better. Better to me when speaking of a car is making it accelerated faster, stop quicker, or turn harder. best part is you can improve the "look" at each stage of this game.

This guy is doing it right. Improving the car while improving the look at the same time. Hell, it may even be stanced?

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116560

Doing something solely for the "look" is doing it wrong. But, to each her own.

As for your million dollar one off wheels taking a shit, I would asked them to fly me to their home office to drop the wheel off in person, toss the cracked POS thought their office door, take a shit on their desk, take your refund, and tell them to scam someone else. That could have cost you your car and your life at highway speed. You can get a 5$ wheel forma junkyard that would have outperformed that thing. Think about that……

Yes, the car does look good. But, if I am buying a racehorse, I would take it to the racetrack, not fluf it's main and call it a show pony. I hate that people mod cars and make them less functional than they were in their OEM state. There are plenty of ways to make a car better. Better to me when speaking of a car is making it accelerated faster, stop quicker, or turn harder. best part is you can improve the "look" at each stage of this game.

This guy is doing it right. Improving the car while improving the look at the same time. Hell, it may even be stanced?

As for your million dollar one off wheels taking a shit, I would asked them to fly me to their home office to drop the wheel off in person, toss the cracked POS thought their office door, take a shit on their desk, take your refund, and tell them to scam someone else. That could have cost you your car and your life at highway speed. You can get a 5$ wheel forma junkyard that would have outperformed that thing. Think about that……

Didn't realize that I bought a "racehorse." I thought I just bought a really nice car I wanted to enjoy the way I want. Cool story though, thanks for sharing.

Yea, i'd be livid if that happened to me with such expensive wheels (which I love btw). Personally I would return them all, that kind of failure on such an expensive/quality wheel is inexcusable.

Any legit 3 piece wheel can fail if the proper precautions were not taken when they are being assembled. This is the reason most higher end wheels are welding the two barrels together to make them more of a 2 piece.

The anger of Colt and DSM ownership runs deep...

The Savage lives on.

I think that is the point - at that price point you should not have to worry about the "proper precautions" being taken.

This. I wouldn't even be able to gauge my level of black out rage if I had some expensive wheels do that and then on top of it they just send replacement parts for ME to fix the wheel with. I'd probably make a few skin suits out of the workers from that company along with catapulting the set of wheels through the front windows of the building in hopes I hit somebody important from the company.

Yea, i'd be livid if that happened to me with such expensive wheels (which I love btw). Personally I would return them all, that kind of failure on such an expensive/quality wheel is inexcusable.

I think that is the point - at that price point you should not have to worry about the "proper precautions" being taken.

This. I wouldn't even be able to gauge my level of black out rage if I had some expensive wheels do that and then on top of it they just send replacement parts for ME to fix the wheel with. I'd probably make a few skin suits out of the workers from that company along with catapulting the set of wheels through the front windows of the building in hopes I hit somebody important from the company.

You guys are ridiculous...

As my brother mentioned, just because they're more expensive than your typical wheel doesn't make them bulletproof, or any more resistant to failure than any other wheel on the market.

That's like buying a Bently and throwing a fit upon any failure because you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for a car that you feel should never ever break. It happens, it's going to happen, and frankly, I highly doubt this will be the last time.

Like stated, some aftermarket street wheels are even being welded to make them a little more resistant to failure. But what you're missing is, those are street wheels and I have motorsport wheels on my hands. These wheels are much more fragile and delicate than your typical wheel, which is due to the magnesium and light weight materials used. Frankly, I'm taking a huge chance even having them on public roads which are anything but glass smooth like most race track surfaces. They're so expensive because they're extremely light and extremely modular and hardly your typical wheel. All of that comes with a price.

This. I wouldn't even be able to gauge my level of black out rage if I had some expensive wheels do that and then on top of it they just send replacement parts for ME to fix the wheel with. .

This guy gets it. I am mad just thinking about it. :mad:

You guys are ridiculous...

As my brother mentioned, just because they're more expensive than your typical wheel doesn't make them bulletproof, or any more resistant to failure than any other wheel on the market.

Frankly, I'm taking a huge chance even having them on public roads which are anything but glass smooth like most race track surfaces. They're so expensive because they're extremely light and extremely modular and hardly your typical wheel. All of that comes with a price.

You can have a light wheel that will not come apart before you first freaking oil change. Hell, an OE C5 Vette had magnesium wheels!! :dumb:

As far as a track wheel being "weaker" that a street wheel, I 100% disagree with you, and I think anyone that has been on track would. That would be suggesting that slowly street driving your stanced’ car is harder on the wheel than a road race. Your shit came apart on a smooth, flat road. How would it hold up to the Chicane at Mid-Ohio? Or the Kink at speed?

I understand your father has supported you and your brother in your endeavors with cars. Does he have a motorsport background? Ask him if a track wheel is weaker than an OE counterpart. Just think about what you’re implying here.

Edited by coltboostin

I don't think he means they're structurally weaker, but when they're built, it's with the intention of being ran on perfectly smooth tracks and not speed bumps, pot holes, etc.. It seems to me that a lot of racing accidents involving this type of wheel does tend to break it, usually the barrel away from the center.

Farkas, reading that you don't expect this to be the last time, makes me cringe at the thought of that car getting the fenders or quarters damaged if it does happen again.