Couple questions for VW guys

harmonda

So, I'm living an hour from work now and my mid-20s MPG cars are sucking the gas at an alarming rate. Also, I have a 15.5yo who is going to need a car in November. I think I want to get a high MPG DD and let the kid drive one of the other cars to school (which is less than a mile away). I've been looking at the TDIs. One thing that is puzzling is that I don't see any non-suv 4motion cars in VW lineup anymore. What happened there? I am very used to AWD vehicles and I only started looking at VW because I thought they had it. Also, I've looked at the aftermarket...does anyone have experiences to share regarding tunes or other mods? I'm thinking a 2door Golf TDI could be fun as well as efficient but I'd have to kick up the style and performance to be happy. Maybe a tune, body kit, new shoes, tint, that sort of thing.

You can thank the government for that. They make them, but I guess if you add AWD to a Golf TDI and drive at a slight incline on a cold day it won't pass US emissions. :dumb:

The 2014 Audi A3 TDI quattro is the closest option I know if. I'm planning on either getting one of those in the sedan form, or the S3.

If I was looking at a TDI, I would get one with the tech package. I would want to have the LED headlights and the navigation unit because I'm in love with that radio.

But like what Aaron said, its your personal taste what what you like.

If it's going to be a commuter car, and not really used for much hauling, you should consider Beetle TDIs, especially if you're going to lower/wheels/tune it. They tend to be cheaper than Golf/Jetta TDIs for being on the same chassis and having the same powertrain.

http://www.mercedesexpert.com/inventory/view/5291545?2003+Volkswagen+New+Beetle+GLS+TDI+Naples+FL

If you're kicking a mid-20MPG car out of the garage because of fuel economy, even with TDI why would you be considering AWD/4WD? It would put noticable pressure on your MPGs...

You can thank the government for that. They make them, but I guess if you add AWD to a Golf TDI and drive at a slight incline on a cold day it won't pass US emissions. :dumb:

The 2014 Audi A3 TDI quattro is the closest option I know if. I'm planning on either getting one of those in the sedan form, or the S3.

There was never a 2014 A3, and the all the A3 TDIs are FWD not quattro. Sucks, but that is all we have is car FWD TDIs in the sates with Audi/VW. I can't wait for the new A3/S3

There was never a 2014 A3

The one's I'm talking about I guess are actually called the 2015's...

A buddy of mine had a first gen A3 TDI quattro, I wanted one real bad after he took me for a ride in it, but of course I couldn't cause I live here. Was pretty lame up top, but that low end torque and empeegees :megusta:

Not sure why you need awd for just daily driving. Grab just a regular TDI, they're hard to find but do exist

My DD right now is a GLK350 4matic. I love how rock solid it is in slick conditions. I guess I was hoping to get another AWD but with better gas mileage. That being said...I drove a FWD Jetta years ago and it was surprisingly sure footed in the winter.

I am leaning towards a 2 door Golf TDI right now. My fiancee is leaning towards the Passat. But I think the Golf will be fun to mod. I've been researching tuning, suspension and body kits.

Golf TDI + cheap ass 16" steelies and snows > AWD on All Seasons in bad stuff.

I just got a '13 TDI Passat 6MT. It will generally best the smaller cars on MPG's and be more comfortable while doing it.

Just did a 2700~ mile trip to Florida and back and drove it while there, averaged 49.5 while not driving for economy 75+ with WOT acceleration.

Can't beat that.

I have each system;

Quattro-haldex

Quattro-torsion

Diesel, FWD

They're all fantastic - but for a city commuter no real benefits from the AWD systems.

Here's the info, though:

A3 (and Q7, R32, Golf R) "Quattro" is Haldex-based, "not real quattro"

for Diesel VWs, you're getting (exceptional) FWD

for Diesel Audi "real" Quattros, you're overseas.

The 2.0T delivers good mpg, but does require premium fuel.

Can be found with "real" Quattro in the A4 if you're determined.

(50/50 Torsion in A series, 60/40 in S series)

For the kid, a 2.8L A4 Quattro (B5) costs peanuts (and is safe. AMHIK)

I am getting just under 25mpg on my commute now in the GLK but that is with premium fuel. I think it will be a great commuter for my fiancee. Especially in the winter time. She has a much shorter commute. The boy can drive the mini-van as motivation to get a job and buy his own car. :) I drive my C6Z to work occasionally but I don't want to rack up too many miles and I've been contemplating selling it anyway.

I have each system;

Quattro-haldex

Quattro-torsion

Diesel, FWD

They're all fantastic - but for a city commuter no real benefits from the AWD systems.

Here's the info, though:

A3 (and Q7, R32, Golf R) "Quattro" is Haldex-based, "not real quattro"

for Diesel VWs, you're getting (exceptional) FWD

for Diesel Audi "real" Quattros, you're overseas.

The 2.0T delivers good mpg, but does require premium fuel.

Can be found with "real" Quattro in the A4 if you're determined.

(50/50 Torsion in A series, 60/40 in S series)

For the kid, a 2.8L A4 Quattro (B5) costs peanuts (and is safe. AMHIK)

BTW Q7/Q5s both have torsion not haldex. Only Haldex is TT and A3 in the states for Audi. Lambo, Bugatti, Volvo, Ford, Rover, and GM all have Haldex units. Getting a flashed Heldex can really changes things too. ;) ask jones.

I just got a '13 TDI Passat 6MT.

so you just have 2 in the stable now? can't keep track of all your toys :)

Need to check it out as time is coming to replace the Ford.

I just got a '13 TDI Passat 6MT. It will generally best the smaller cars on MPG's and be more comfortable while doing it.

Just did a 2700~ mile trip to Florida and back and drove it while there, averaged 49.5 while not driving for economy 75+ with WOT acceleration.

Can't beat that.

This ^*