To Project or Not to Project..THAT is my question

99StockGT

Alright I never figured I would open this can of worms but, well, I have no sense. Need to do a little work on the LeMans as the show season draws to a close and the long winter months are ahead. I seem to have an inability to leave things stock when "fixing things".

So, at this point I'm doing new tires as I managed to explode a belt after 9000 miles on the current radials, need a little suspension work done to replace some 1971 worn out parts, have some engine freshening to do and fix a trans cooling issue. Do I stop there? Origional plans for this car were to leave it all stock but....I'm getting itchy. Does anyone have experience building old Pontiac power? And before anyone goes there, no I'm not doing an engine swap. Currently it's the 350 2 barrel and that same block will be staying in, I don't want to go nuts with this thing.

Feedback? Judgements? Random flames? WWYD?

P.S. Am I really wanting to start ANOTHER project car?

Don't you have other "go fast" cars? I love old cars, it's what I was raised on and I actually just bought one over the weekend, but for the most part they're best left as fun cruisers. If you really need to make a change or two to feel like it was worth the effort, I'd throw a cam, intake and 4 barrel on it. That's easy enough to change back if you ever feel the need, and will give it some more pep and the classic cam sound. Keep it basic so you'll be able to enjoy it again in the spring. If you're like me and pull it all apart, it'll snowball and the car will be down for 2 years, and in the end you'll wish you left it alone. Lol

Don't you have other "go fast" cars? I love old cars, it's what I was raised on and I actually just bought one over the weekend, but for the most part they're best left as fun cruisers. If you really need to make a change or two to feel like it was worth the effort, I'd throw a cam, intake and 4 barrel on it. That's easy enough to change back if you ever feel the need, and will give it some more pep and the classic cam sound. Keep it basic so you'll be able to enjoy it again in the spring. If you're like me and pull it all apart, it'll snowball and the car will be down for 2 years, and in the end you'll wish you left it alone. Lol

This same thing happened to me and I haven't been able to really enjoy the car in years.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of and yes I already have other cars...I guess 3 current project cars if you want to call them that. It'll never be the fastest thing in the world, and that's fine. The feeling and reactions you get from old school stuff is completely different than modern and that's the appeal. I just find myself in need of tires...which makes me think why not go with a wider set...which means wheels...which mean brake upgrades and ...........

OR I just get some basic keep it healthy stuff done, throw a new set of tires on her, and enjoy some old school big body GM goodness that doesn't like to turn stop or get good fuel economy.

Butttttt.....it would be more fun with a cam/intake/headers/4 barrel.... :(

What is it about your car that you want to change? Obviously the specifics have been mentioned, but is it the speed that's not satisfying? The appearance? The driving experience? I'd say take some time to REALLY think about what would truly improve that car to you beyond just your desire to tinker. If it's fast enough, pretty enough, and comfortable/fun enough for you as is, don't do a damn thing.

It's not that I have issues with the car as it is, I just wonder how much more fun it would be with a few things done. I was hoping someone who had taken something like this from stock to mild mods would weigh in so I'm not fishing in the dark.

As far as putting the money into making something else faster, I've already done that :( For the most part other than the one still in the shop getting some treatment I'm pretty happy with the state of all the other cars. It just itches I guess. When you've got that big block rumble while cruising around and coming off a light there's always a want to have a bit more punch.

Were I to open the can I guess this I what I'm looking at.

* Mild Cam

* Intake/4 Barrel Carb

* Long Tube Headers

* Overbore with supporting mods

* 17x9 fronts 17x9 rears of "period correct" wheels

* 4 Wheel Disc Brake Conversion

* Full updated suspension

So nothing too terribly over the top or unrealistic for something of that era. I'm definitely not looking for something that's going to go tubbed out and running 1/4 mile times

'71 LeMans?

Meh, if it were me I'd go ahead pull the 350 and probably a TH350? replace that will a built LS-series engine and 4L60e or T56

While it was apart I'd also go ahead and do the other "chassis" mods you're talking about.

But I'd go with 15x10 in the rear*if they would fit* and 15x8 in the front.

But that's just me, I like the FI LS engines, and I think 15's look better on old cars...

But just upgrading the 350 in it with a 4bbl & a cam would help it.

and LT's are a must if the application supports them.

Maybe upgrade the tranny in it? If it's a TH350 get a 700r4/4l60, overdrive and lockup TC will help a lot with fuel mileage if you drive it a lot.

Don't really drive it a lot, I think the entire time I've had it which is ...6 years I've put no more than 8000 miles on it. Engine, I want to stay with the stock block to keep it as close to origional as possible. I'm not opposed to doing some bore to get a little much grunt out of her and the Pontiac block in this thing can go a LONG way.

I REALLY want to keep the stock look of the car so external stuff I'm trying to keep to a minimum, the issue is when you upgrade go fast parts, you need to tie in some stop/turn fast parts too! She's a LeMans sport so came with power steering that works great, has the Rally II wheels from the factory also but 205/70/14s in old school radial design can only take SO much abuse...which is what took me down the slippery slope.

Ahh, well engine/trans swap is out.

Still though, a few mild/bolt on mods to the engine would not hurt.

Keeping the outside look stock is easy, expect when upgrading the brakes.

But for the wheels I think Cragers would be your best be for aftermarket Aluminum wheels that would look to be "period correct" or there is a set of 15" Slotted mag wheels on Craigslist right now for I think $300.

The Trans is pretty healthy, not really worried about that. The car has a total of 59000 miles and was gone over pretty well when we were doing the body/paint/top work. Stopping this tank is all kind of fun with 4 wheel drums, you just have to plan ahead. :)

Would LOVE to do a brake upgrade but the conversion won't fit under the stockers or anything similar to stock so that's kind of out if I'm wanting to stay stock"ish". Anyone out there built a Pontiac motor of this era beyond a few basic bolt ons? From the research I'm doing there doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the Pontiac 350, obviously versus the Chevy 350 or Ford 351 which are much more popular. But that's just one more thing that makes it unique right? :)

:fuckyeah:

If you knew me personally, the "While I have it apart..." is a HUGE part of my problem. I have no problem legitimizing part upgrades.. "Well I could fix it with the STOCK part for X, or I could upgrade for X+$100 or so...well I might as well upgrade" could be my theme song.

Case in point, car bought as beater in spring, put 450 miles on it...took in to shop for minor exhaust leak and miss....now 3 months later its still getting worked on.... :(

When I had my '59 Apache I looked into doing a front end conversion to get discs on the front. You think a '71 Le Mans is a tank, try a 3.5 ton truck with 4xdrums!

Either way, for me it was the necessity for new wheels that stopped me. I didn't want to replace the original turqoise wheels/chrome caps/whitewall tires.

FWIW, the Apache had a 327 bored .030 over with federal mogul pistons and a holley 4bbl mated to a 4 on the floor. I loved that thing, miss it all the time.

If I'm going to do the front brakes, I'm going to do the rears. And if you are doing wheels/tires/brakes wouldn't you also want to do a little chassis stiffening so it goes around corners better not just stop?

I've always tried to balance go/stop/turn mods on every car I've worked on, just not terribly excited about sinking 3-5k into this car in modifications in order to make it worse and ruin the feel. :(

I'd consider this.

Just upgrade the front brakes, refresh the bushings and put new wheels on and leave it.

I'd def do this.

When it comes time to start restoring my K10 the rear drums will definitely be an early upgrade.

Well the Mustang is basically done, short of some basic body/appearance stuff. The Stealth well...until that brakes something it's not getting touched again. The "other car" will be done in a couple weeks and once that's complete there's nothing else to do to it...so....

I certainly don't HAVE to do anything to it, I've just always used the "It's broke lets fix it, or upgrade it" thought so this would be that first chance I have. One of the other things bouncing around in my mind though is going to car shows as an origional is a much smaller group of competition versus moving into a modified classification against people who have MUCH deeper pockets than I.