Considering changing jobs again....

Cordell

So I started at Byers Mazda Subaru back in January, and at that time we had a good work flow and things were going well. Since then they have added on to the service department, split up the shop so now all I see are Mazdas, and hired on 4 more people since I started. Well guess what? I've been having a hard time turning hours, no big surprise. I came here for the work flow, and there are some good guys here to work with, but it seems everyplace thinks they need too many techs.

So basically I'm brainstorming, and looking for ideas. Does anyone know of some busy shops? I'm ASE Master with L1, Mazda Senior Certified already, with experience in GM and Subaru. I need the potential to earn 50k a year, not this bullshit where 30-40 hours isn't even coming in the door for me, I can only upsell so much, and spend a big part of my day standing around.

Edited by Cordell

In all honesty check out tire discounters. I'm around 40k a year without certs. And they're pay scale for master techs is really good. Only down side is the hours. Plus they're becoming full service.

I worked there, 5 or so years ago. The hours do suck, and I like the dealership enviroment a lot. Not sure that is a route I want to take.

Best shop ive heard about is carmax. 20$ an hour, hourly.

I couldnt deal with flat rate anymore. Both toyotas I worked at had no hours.

It seems most dealerships have too many techs for the customers that roll in. Everyone is afraid to schedule work so they want to provide instant gratification to whomever rolls into the service drive. Beleive me I get it, they don't have to pay me to stand around so they don't have to be overly concerned if I'm really busy or not. My wife talk about it everyday, she is salaried and has more work then she can possibly get done, but I get paid per job and spend time sitting around between jobs.

Ultimately I feel like my best bet is to own my own bussiness but I'm not in a position I feel comfortable with to do that. I'm not sure what I can do other then the dealership to better myself and make a living for the next 5-10 years until I can make that leap.

Maybe Carmax is worth talking to, my Dad interveiwed with them and was not impressed so I haven't really considered a place like that. In my mind it would be a lot of used car inspections and fixing them for the first few months of ownership, do people actually take stuff there for repairs and service outside of that?

I like to diagnose and repair, not do maintenence. If I don't have some broken POS in my work bay to figure out what's wrong I have nothing to bitch about and I get bored. That is why for the past few years the biggest piles of shit end up with me, and I work my way through them. Don't get me wrong I'll do any work in between, that is just what I enjoy about my job. This is why I've grown to like the dealership, it's not like so many aftermarket places where all they want to attract are brakes and oil changes. Any fucking parts hanger can do that. This industry needs me and more like me, but doesn't cater to decent techs who can actually diagnose a car without hanging 5 parts on it.

Okay I'm ranting, basically I love what I do. I just need to find the best place to do that. I can tell you that any shop that specializes in mufflers, or brakes, or tires is going to have a really hard time convincing me that there is a good place for me there.

My friend works at car max. We worked together at midas for 4 years and toyota for 2

They supply all tools.

And they have different level mechanics. Diagnosis, and repair are typically different.

I interviewed there but it was way to far of a drive.

Carmax is a good place to work for talk to Steve-o on here. Mechanics are overpayed honestly and tools suplyed and they do have tecks that work on customer cars not just the dealership cars. They do all from oil changes to dropping a motor and trans for replacing . Also hourly payed I want to say ma 5s and 4s make over 25 an hour and it's all about ase certified

I'm at Midas right now, with master tech and l1 you would be making 20% commission, Depending on store making over 50k is very very easy

I worked at midas for 4 years. Ase certs only got me 14%

A lot of LONG hours to be worked there but I did wrench over 50k per year. There is money to be made at westerville, polaris, and new albany.

They are opening a new shop off 256 and will be hiring soon. That is in a prime location imo.

Im good friends with the district manager.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay a little update, as of today I'm done with Byers. I wish there was more options for Mazda in this town as they are nice cars and I don't mind working on them. Subarus I could honestly care less about, easy to work on, but very boring. The crew there are great, but it didn't work out very well for me.

I will be starting at Lash Chevrolet in Johnstown monday. Obviously it's a brand that I do like and care about. I'm excited to see how this dealership works out. If nothing else its 15 minutes from home, and only open monday through friday. So no more late nights or weekends. Their shop has been through a few service managers in recent years, but the people I've met seem cool so I've got my fingers crossed. :)

Okay a little update, as of today I'm done with Byers. I wish there was more options for Mazda in this town as they are nice cars and I don't mind working on them. Subarus I could honestly care less about, easy to work on, but very boring. The crew there are great, but it didn't work out very well for me.

I will be starting at Lash Chevrolet in Johnstown monday. Obviously it's a brand that I do like and care about. I'm excited to see how this dealership works out. If nothing else its 15 minutes from home, and only open monday through friday. So no more late nights or weekends. Their shop has been through a few service managers in recent years, but the people I've met seem cool so I've got my fingers crossed. :)

Congrats man!