Roundabouts are better!

zeitgeist57

I saw this on wimp.com yesterday.

I figured they were more efficient just based on my experience utilizing them, but wow, the study results surpassed my estimates. I am all for them. Once people learn how to use them, I think they are great.

All up and down Britton Parkway in Hilliard, and now uptown Hilliard too...I love them....

I agree, I just hate the people who don't understand them. It's not surprising as the concept of yield is too hard for anyone to figure out.

I'd say atleast once every two weeks, on average, that I have to slam my brakes while in the round about to avoid an accident. I usually get the deer in headlights look from those who pull out right in front of me. I don't drive over 20 in them either......

Having driven both, heck even in England on the wrong side of the road.

I agree with the test they are faster if people can navigate them. However, i find people are more scared than dumb. Even in the UK where people are used to them if you get stuck behind and elderly driver that is too scared to hit the skinny pedal you will be stuck there forever, guaranteed. The 4-way stop gives them the comfort of knowing they have right of way at some point.

the 2 lane ones are weird but you get used to them and are pretty darn efficient.

I live in the middle east and despise roundabouts. Every single day and ever single one is always blocked up.

For a large city these things are not efficient. They have begun to tear them out and rework them into 4 way stops or are adding traffic lights to them. Some of these roundabouts are 4 lanes wide and people just cant seem to be able to get out into them if one flow of traffic is more "dominant" than the other.

Rounabouts (or rotaries as us north-easterners call them) are fantastic. Their only real flaw is the dumbasses that can't figure how a circle works.

They're fantastic everywhere except downtown Boston. You went to BU, didn't you?

I live in the middle east and despise roundabouts. Every single day and ever single one is always blocked up.

For a large city these things are not efficient. They have begun to tear them out and rework them into 4 way stops or are adding traffic lights to them. Some of these roundabouts are 4 lanes wide and people just cant seem to be able to get out into them if one flow of traffic is more "dominant" than the other.

Middle East as in the place where the traffic laws are made up and the licenses don't matter?

All up and down Britton Parkway in Hilliard, and now uptown Hilliard too...I love them....

The new roundabouts on Emerald Parkway (Dublin side of Britton) cut my commute home down from 35 minutes to 10 minutes. I'd say theyre pretty damn awesome. Plus, much more fun to drive, and less time stopped

Need to train people how to use them, and post a cop to ticket the idiots who can't figure out. Just another example of people who can't merge, and why they are taking away cloverleafs.

Everyone could know how to merge perfect on the cloverleafs around 270 and they would still backup. Simply too much traffic. I won't disagree that poor mergers make it even worse.

Why do they need to merge before/as soon as the lane appears? When I've lined my car up in a gap in front of theirs, and their car was lined up in a gap behind mine, why do they feel the need to accelerate and try to get in front of me? This is especially infuriating when they are exiting and I'm entering the highway. I'm accelerating and they need to slow down, they were already behind me so just slot in behind me while they naturally slow down for their exit. :fuuuu::fuuuu::fuuuu::fuuuu:

Roundabouts need to have at least two lanes and somewhere around 200ft minimum radius; small-radius ones suck.

I completely agree. When built correctly good...when stuffed in the middle of an intersection in Clintonville, they suck. I have watched trucks drive over them because they could not make the turn.

Everyone could know how to merge perfect on the cloverleafs around 270 and they would still backup. Simply too much traffic. I won't disagree that poor mergers make it even worse.

Why do they need to merge before/as soon as the lane appears? When I've lined my car up in a gap in front of theirs, and their car was lined up in a gap behind mine, why do they feel the need to accelerate and try to get in front of me? This is especially infuriating when they are exiting and I'm entering the highway. I'm accelerating and they need to slow down, they were already behind me so just slot in behind me while they naturally slow down for their exit. :fuuuu::fuuuu::fuuuu::fuuuu:

Yeah. That.