Picked up a toy - 1966 GMC Pickup

caseyctsv

You may remember a thread a while back when I was asking CR's opinion on a classic truck for my daughter's first vehicle. Opinions were split, much as my own opinion. She really wanted me to pick up something on which she could learn basic mechanical skills. Given she will only be driving it back and forth to school (< 3 miles) and we have other options for her in the case she is driving further, I picked up a truck.

It is a 1966 GMC C10.

the Good:

It spent its whole life in California - guy from Ohio picked it up in California in August and wanted to flip it here. The underside is better than any I have looked at over the last several months. It has a later model Chevy 350 V8 in it (he was not sure but thought 78-79) backed up by a 3 spd auto. 4 barrel carb, new alt, re-cored radiator, headers and dual exhaust. I may need your help in IDing the motor. The interior has been completely redone, other than the gauges, and it came with most of a power steering swap kit. Gas tank was relocated from behind the seat to a racing fuel cell under the bed. It also has new brakes, tires, and generally drives real nice. Just appears to be solid all around.

The bad:

Steering is loose as hell

The side windows rattle (new window guide kit ordered)

The door locks don't work (lock cylinders ordered)

The ignition requires no key

The turn signals, wipers, and headlights don't work though the headlights come on when the brights switch is engaged leading me to believe I have a ground issue. Seller said all of those worked when he bought it but stopped working on the drive home. I may just buy a whole new wiring harness and rewire the thing.

Some crappy cell pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/casey02ws6/127_zps789fc321.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/casey02ws6/129_zps439daec1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/casey02ws6/128_zps196fd21a.jpg

And my happy girl with her new pride and joy -

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/casey02ws6/130_zps6c89b67f.jpg

That's good stuff man. She'll look back on those pics in 50 years wishing she never traded it for her hover car.

I truly hope so. She would not even let me put the plates on it that I picked up today. She said - leave them I will put them on.

Love the California black plate. Looks like a solid drivable project.

Thanks - that is the goal. It won't win any shows and will not bring big money at an auction or anything. I just want to enjoy it for a few years. It is really fun to drive, in a weird way.

It has a lot more personality than other cars in this price range.

Thanks - that is the goal. It won't win any shows and will not bring big money at an auction or anything. I just want to enjoy it for a few years. It is really fun to drive, in a weird way.

It has a lot more personality than other cars in this price range.

John bruh on here has a nice c10 he's got a plan to work on and I understand the odd way its enjoyable to drive. just a nice fun cruiser...

Hope to see it out and about.

Do/her a favor and never let her sell it. It's easy advice (prob from alot on here), but when the $ and time comes around you/she will like it that much more. Being my only car sale regret was a 72 Demon when I was 16 and I/my dad don't like Dodge. Even if she "thinks she wants to sell it" buy it back and hide it. It'll make one of those modern family stories.