Food talk

Mojoe

Over production food presentation, or art food, as I have started calling it. I recently went on vacation and was over whelmed with the way getting a meal is done. I know I have some left over caveman ways of doing things. But, at what point did eating become such a process? I'm not a fan of all the formalities that are associated with "fine dining". I think a place like Mitchell's Steak House does it about right. They know you are paying a bit for a nice meal and they respect you, but not over cater you. What I experienced just seemed such the norm for the people we were around and I had me wondering how we got to a point where this is how we eat. I need some nourishment and for it to taste good. If I'm dinning out, add some personality to some quick service, and I had a great time. I don't need 3 forks and for someone to come back every 4 minutes to check in and make sure everything is AMAZING!!!!! GTFO of here, you keep interrupting us talking at the table. We went one place and they wanted us to order appetizers, main course, and dessert as soon as we sat down. I said I'll get back to you on the dessert and I might as well have taken a dump on the table. ORDER NOW!!!! Maybe, I don't know if I want dessert now or even have room for it, if I'm full.

I could go on and on about this, but it comes down to, at what point did someone think people needed to have more than the damn food cooked and for it to taste great?

Even in nicer restaurants, there is pressure to "turn the tables", so sometimes servers will hound you for another drink order or dessert/coffee to keep you paying, otherwise they want you to GTFO so another group gets seated and orders drinks/dinner.

Done politely, many people like that attentive service. Joe, you apparently do not. :)

[/ex-server]

Life is about experiences and restaurants, especially the higher end ones know that. people typically like to be entertained and feel as if the total experience is about them. I personally dine out a lot, especially for business, but even with my wife, when we go out and pay $75-100 per person for a meal, I'm looking for more than just good food. I want the entire experience.

Mileage will vary.

It sounds as though you just went to a poorly-run restaurant. I've never known fine dining to be like that. And I've never heard of ordering dessert as soon as you sit down. Sometimes a prix fixe style of dining will ask for some of your selections in advance, but I've not known one to go all the way to dessert so early in the meal.

Prices don't always correspond to quality of dining experience.

Prices don't always correspond to quality of dining experience.

I get what you guys are saying. And Doc's quote above hits it pretty good. My experience was at a resort and it was all inclusive. There were several places to dine at, but the same level of over done for show was at each one. It just made me think why does there have to be so much to it? Apparently it is something I don't go out for, the entertainment and experience value. Exception being; House of Japan type place.

Clay I hear you with trying to rush people along to seat more people = more tips. That's why I don't go to Max and Erma's anymore. Bob Evan’s isn't far behind.

I don't care what place I am eating. I didn't go out to eat to get to know the waiter/waitress. I want my glass topped off and my food properly cooked. I think a good ole fashion hand wave and eye contact with your server is plenty to let them know you want additional service.

though possibly over the top for my personality.

I don't care what place I am eating. I didn't go out to eat to get to know the waiter/waitress. I want my glass topped off and my food properly cooked. I think a good ole fashion hand wave and eye contact with your server is plenty to let them know you want additional service.

I get what you are both saying. This is where I'm at with things too.

I think Americans in general, both servers and diners, go about the dining experience all wrong. Anywhere I've been in Europe is a better dining experience than in the U.S.

1) Tipping. Servers should be paid a wage upon which they can live a comfortable life, and tipping should not exist. Bartending is a different story, but the tipping culture blows my mind. It causes servers to rush their customers out, it causes problems when people don't tip, and it creates issues when you have multiple people getting tipped out of the same pot.

2) High end restaurants and the bootlicker server. This is also wrong. A server at a Michelin rated restaurant will understand his customers needs without being told. When I ate at a 1-star place in France, we had a team of servers that swooped in simultaneously when they could tell everyone was finished with each course, removed all applicable tableware swiftly and with little to no conversation. This is, of course, also a result of the fact that they have reasonable portion sizes spread across more courses. I got the sense that the service there was a rehearsed art, not unlike a play being executed in several acts. Whereas in the U.S. I feel like they're all trying to kiss your ass for a big tip and make you feel like you owe them because you were SO helpful.

3) Casual restaurants need to get your food quickly. Again, this comes back to many things being heaped on one plate. When you go to a cafe in Europe, you are expected to hang out for a lot longer. There's no rush to get the table free. You are welcomed as family, you will make friends with the proprietor or the servers. It's a much more truly casual dining experience, and I often found that I'd skip plans to visit X Y or Z because I was enjoying having a few snacks and drinks with the owner exchanging stories and taking in the atmosphere.

I agree with point 1, I hate the idea of tipping as well.

Point 2, I see the same "very well played service" they are very effective and there is always 5 or so working on your table on the cruises I frequent and they are typically European servers.