Need help today!

bmwohio

My wife slid her 09 MDX into a curb last night and knocked the car out of alignment and now the VSA light keeps turning on. I jacked it up and checked it last night and didn't see anything bent, but when you drive down the road straight the steering wheel is crooked.

All the Acura and Honda dealerships can't get the car in today.

Anyone recommend a place that is open TODAY to look at and work on the car. She is traveling next week for work and we need the car in working order....

Any recommendations????

TIA!

Thanks guys. I'm going to try and just get an alignment done and see if that helps. I was most worried about the VSA light being on and possibly that she broke a sensor or something.

The light could be on as a result of the wheel being turned, and the car not actually turning, therefore causing a mash up of information for the stability system.I had it happen on the A4 when we gutted and did the entire suspension, including inner/outer tie rods. The ESC would try to kick in randomly at certain angles and it almost scary to drive.

The other possibility might be a wheel speed sensor, but you'd typically lose ABS when that happens as well.

gf slid her rsx off the road a couple weeks ago into a small ditch. slit the rr tire and bent the suspension. Didn't realize it until she said the steering was off.

I spent an hour trying to figure out what was bent, never found it. Ended up buying the whole knuckle and rear arm used for $110 shipped on ebay. Swapped it all out. Good as new.

Hopefully nothing bend but I for see it needing something.

Well......something is bent, but it's nothing obvious like the tie rod assembly or control arm. The front passenger side has an extra 1.5 degrees of positive camber right now and the only way they can fix it is by elongating the holes to put the camber back to where is should be.

Anyone see a huge red flag of why we shouldn't do this? I'm wondering if its the spindle or the actual shock tower that may be bent.

Guy said I would need to take it to a body shop to put it on a 'frame rack' to see what is actually bent.....can anyone chime on on this? They need an answer from me in the next hour or so.

Thanks again for everyones help so far!

Well......something is bent, but it's nothing obvious like the tie rod assembly or control arm. The front passenger side has an extra 1.5 degrees of positive camber right now and the only way they can fix it is by elongating the holes to put the camber back to where is should be.

Anyone see a huge red flag of why we shouldn't do this? I'm wondering if its the spindle or the actual shock tower that may be bent.

Guy said I would need to take it to a body shop to put it on a 'frame rack' to see what is actually bent.....can anyone chime on on this? They need an answer from me in the next hour or so.

Thanks again for everyones help so far!

They should use camber bolts, also called crash bolts, instead of elongating any holes by hand.

Every thing Jones said is accurate too.

Well, I talked to a couple of family friends that work/own body shops(and read your posts). They said that newer cars typically have suspension parts now that will bend and break before the actual body does. So they said that, more than likely, a suspension piece is bent and I just need to determine which one.

So we just picked the car up yesterday(no cutting was done) and will be taking it to Acura of Columbus to have them find which piece is bent so either they or I can replace it.

Anyone have an qualms with Acura of Columbus Service?

I'm kind of out of options at this point. I just want someone who KNOWS the MDX and can recognize what is wrong and tell me what needs fixed, no guess.

Well, I talked to a couple of family friends that work/own body shops(and read your posts). They said that newer cars typically have suspension parts now that will bend and break before the actual body does. So they said that, more than likely, a suspension piece is bent and I just need to determine which one.

So we just picked the car up yesterday(no cutting was done) and will be taking it to Acura of Columbus to have them find which piece is bent so either they or I can replace it.

Anyone have an qualms with Acura of Columbus Service?

I'm kind of out of options at this point. I just want someone who KNOWS the MDX and can recognize what is wrong and tell me what needs fixed, no guess.

Sounds like a good plan. I have to agree with whoever you talked to, usually there is a weak link in there that bends first and hopefully a tech experienced in that vehicle will have no trouble pointing it out. Subarus seem to bend control arms, same with Mazdas, seen plenty of bent inner tie rods, and GM seems to bend struts sometimes. Even still some cars will have the cradle shift, hopefully yours is not a big deal. I wish you the best of luck getting that fixed up.

If the car was brought to our dealership we would sell the majority of the front suspension to insurance. Especially if you can't see what's bent. Ends up saving time and money because you are only r&r'ing parts once and only doing one alignment. I would think most shops would do this knowing you are going through insurance.

If the car was brought to our dealership we would sell the majority of the front suspension to insurance. Especially if you can't see what's bent. Ends up saving time and money because you are only r&r'ing parts once and only doing one alignment. I would think most shops would do this knowing you are going through insurance.

We are not going through insurance....yet. Have a $500 deductible, so I'm going to see what they come back with. I'm having trouble following what you're saying.....? ^^ (What dealership do you work at?)

Wife and I drove the car to Acura Columbus yesterday to drop it off. I live in Westerville and we took Powell road to Riverside to 161 to drop it off so I wouldn't have to drive on the expressway....yea, it's that bad, but still 'driveable'.

Went in the this morning at 745 to get it checked in, and then they will let me know what they find. I'll keep you posted on this wonderful adventure as soon as I have fun.......:fuuuu:

We are not going through insurance....yet. Have a $500 deductible, so I'm going to see what they come back with. I'm having trouble following what you're saying.....? ^^ (What dealership do you work at?)

I work at Kelly. We've met/spoke a few times.

Im just saying typically if we cant physically see what is bent we try and cover our bases with whatever parts will fix it the first time.

For example if its a front end curb hit. We might price,

-strut

-strut top

-knuckle

-lower control arms

-check wheel

-outer tie rods (sometimes even a steering rack)

-alignment

This makes the job a one and done vs doing one part at a time and then an alignment each time you add an additional part. Hope that makes sense.

I had a car I slid into a curb and wrecked the control arm. Replaced it and things were still off. Turned out to be subframe was bent as well. Sometimes sacrificial parts are good enough, sometimes they aren't.

Was the car totalled? I bent my control arm pretty bad. My front wheel is sitting about 4" closer to the inner wall then normal. Im afraid something else bent.