Finally ditching cable... need an ISP though.

HotCarl

Uverse is ridiculously expensive for what I'm getting and I'm tired of paying for it. I'm going to get rid of cable and just have an internet service provider. I've heard good things about WOW anyone have any experience with them? Any other provider's out there I should look at? Thanks in advance.

Time warner sucks and really expensive. Wow is cheaper and better from what I am hearing. I am about to switch to wow from TWC. Only reason I need Cable is because of sports. After basketball season is over I might be dropping cable and just using Hulu+ and Netflix.

WOW is fantastic. Cord cutting is well worth it. Between the thousands of people I am subscribed to on YouTube who produce quality content and Netflix (not to mention downloading and less than legal streaming sites), its pretty much impossible to run out of things to watch.

For those whose only reason for keeping cable is sports, aren't MOST important or big sporting events available OTA on ABC, CBS, NBC or fox? Yeah you might miss an early season bucks game because it's on big ten network, but you won't miss the Michigan game. The only thing I can really see missing would be MLB and NHL games during the season.

For those whose only reason for keeping cable is sports, aren't MOST important or big sporting events available OTA on ABC, CBS, NBC or fox? Yeah you might miss an early season bucks game because it's on big ten network, but you won't miss the Michigan game. The only thing I can really see missing would be MLB and NHL games during the season.

More and more games are being put on ESPN instead of ABC for whatever reason. Basically every major bowl game will be on ESPN instead of ABC (Rose, Orange, Fiesta, national title game, etc., etc.). The playoff system that starts next season is contracted for ESPN through 2024 or something so all of those games will be on ESPN.

I like WOW. That said, thye did an install at one place I lived and F#^%ed my place up. The install guy was a tool and they paid me $1000 and a free year of cable, for this guy being dumb.

Once that was all sorted out, I was pleased with WOW's cost and options.

I talked about this in ChatBox yesterday: just cut Time Warner last month and have WOW 30mb internet service for $50/month. I'm sure the price will increase next year, but I'll take the functionality over loss of some cable channels...even if I have to switch ISPs.

Will check out jetflicks...

mother-in-law just dropped WOW because they were raising her rates, she said for what she was paying for it wasn't worth it.

WOW raises our rates every year, but I've had their service for like 15 years now. We just call and re-up with whatever good new-subscriber package they are advertising. Since we aren't new subscribers, they always charge us an extra $5 a month for it :confused:

But the service is rock-solid reliable, though. I've never really had any problems with them, apart from the yearly rate-hikes.

Uverse is ridiculously expensive for what I'm getting and I'm tired of paying for it. I'm going to get rid of cable and just have an internet service provider. I've heard good things about WOW anyone have any experience with them? Any other provider's out there I should look at? Thanks in advance.

What exactly are you getting from them? I've have an internet-only UV package, and at least when I shopped them back in May while moving, the price/speed was straight even with the equivalent TWC and WOW offerings.

FWIW, WOW's router is a piece of crap and gets real shoddy with more than 4 devices connected between wifi and cat-5. Make sure you have your own (you should with any ISP, but hey we're all broke, right?). I may be an outlier, and this may be an isolated incident though, I never called them, just got my own. I got on board with them spring last year. Other than that, I'll +1 for WOW.

I have Ultra with WOW and am about to drop them and go with DirecTV/maybe TWC or maybe stick with WOW for internet only and buy my own modem. Have had to replace 2 of their gateways (does TV, internet and phone all in one box) which resulted in LOTS of recorded stuff being lost.

So it sounds like their equipment all around is not very good.

If you're going internet only with anyone definitely look into buying your own modem. Will save you $5-6 a month on the rental cost and you can make sure you get a good piece of equipment.

TWC internet only here. Its my only option though. Was $42 dollars several years ago and now its like $68. Next time it goes up Ill call and complain.

I also have a TIVO DVR with OTA service only. I pay $10/month and can record HD OTA like regular cable. I bought the DVR on Amazon for less than $100 new couple years ago.

Everything else I DL from Uploaded.net which I pay about $10-15/month for. I stream them through my Xbox or Roku with tversity. Works VERY well.

As others have mentioned though. Sports is the biggest downfall. No ESPN access. Grr. If TWC/ESPN would have some sort of ale cart option to use ESPN go I would do that.

What exactly are you getting from them? I've have an internet-only UV package, and at least when I shopped them back in May while moving, the price/speed was straight even with the equivalent TWC and WOW offerings.

I couldn't quote my internet speed but its whatever the "middle package" is. I have standard cable. No HD channels, no pay channels and my bill is exactly $130 a month. I really only follow a handful of shows (SOA, Justified, Walking Dead, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc...) and watch Hockey and football on occasion. If its a big game I usually go out with friends to watch it.

The only thing I will miss is CBJ, but I've considered purchasing NHL's center ice package. They're flexible on price so I would get a discount considering we're a third of the way through the season and I can watch live streams on different devices not just my tv. Plus I am almost positive every game is in HD, which I'm not getting now.

I looked on WOW's website but there were no price quotes for just providing internet. I was really hoping to keep the cost around $40 and under. I have netflix that I watch through a smart blu ray player that works great, would probably consider purchasing hulu and other services if they're just as cheap and STILL save a shit ton of money every month.

The only thing I will miss is CBJ, but I've considered purchasing NHL's center ice package. They're flexible on price so I would get a discount considering we're a third of the way through the season and I can watch live streams on different devices not just my tv. Plus I am almost positive every game is in HD, which I'm not getting now.

This is why I still have cable. If you just get NHL center ice you'll need a proxy to watch, b/c all local games are blacked out. This is the main reason I haven't cut cable, seems like a headache getting it to work.

I looked on WOW's website but there were no price quotes for just providing internet.

https://sales.wowway.com/OnlineStore/PricingAndPackaging.aspx

When you look at their "Prices and Packaging" pages, they only highlight a few bundles on there; whatever they are pushing. You have to click on "View All" in the left sidebar to see EVERYTHING.