good tools cheaper than the supplier trucks..

The_buster

First of all, buying tools is an INVESTMENT not a PURCHASE.

90% of my tools are snap on, if its a career you may as well start buying quality tools from day one. It takes awhile to get a full box.

2nd favorite outside of snap on is kobalt.

Its not just quality or price... snap on makes some of the best tools, such as a 80 tooth ratchet. Best invention ever for getting into tight places.

Now I work on big trucks (firetrucks, twin diesel engine runway trucks, dump trucks, etc) so I have to now invest in BIG tools. 2-1/2" and bigger wrenches.

I'd get the AZ shit since they actually are reasonable deals from what I've seen looking through our Commercial book. The starter/Lube tech starter set isn't a bad deal. You get a little cart with 3 drawers that lock.

FWIW I have a Harbor Freight 3 Piece chest at my mom's filled with random Harbor Freight junk, haven't had one thing break yet, and I put a lot of it in a mobile box to do a lot of sidework with. During the summer I was wrenching with them 30+ hours a week on side stuff as well as doing my own odd's and ends. If you can deal with buying two set's of everything so when something breaks you aren't down until you get a new one from HF, I'd do it.

I sure was glad when all my snapon/matco/mac and cornwell stuff was paid off. I dont envy you young guys getting into that business. Money was good but with newer stuff coming out and warranty work paying less (if you work at a dealer), just tough to make money. I have probably spent 25-30k in tools and would not trade them for anything, rocky is right buy the right tool once if its your livelihood. It will pay you back on certain jobs for sure.

I've been a tech for 18yrs(Acura Master Tech) and I can say there IS a huge difference in the tools you use, just because those cheap HF tools have a lifetime warranty doesn't make them a good quality tool or even reliable at that, cheap sockets will round the head of a bolt, cheap screwdrivers will strip out the head of a screw etc...

Yes the tools on the Mac, Snap-on, Cornwell & Matco tool trucks are expensive BUT you make payments on, ONLY BUY what you need, you can add to your tool wants later if you buy something to have it and not use it then your doing it wrong.

another thing to know is:

Mac tools are made by Stanley tools

Husky tools are made by Stanley tools

Blackhawk tools are made by Stanely tools

Matco tools are made by Danaher

Craftsman tools are made by Danaher (before they were made by Stanley)

Kobalt tools are made by Danaher (before they were made by Snap-on)

Blue-Point tools are made by Snap-on

Snap-on tools are made by Snap-on

S-K tools are made by FACOM

Cornwell tools are made by Cornwell

so in reality there are 3 major tools company's in the U.S. and they are:

Snap-on, Stanley and Danaher.

here's a fun fact about those expensive tool trucks:

Snap-on tools located in Kenosha, Wisconsin

Matco tools located in Stow, Ohio

Mac tools located in Columbus, Ohio (Westerville to be exact)

Cornwell tools located in Wadsworth, Ohio

Edited by SinisterSS

http://www.trident-supply.com/GearWrench_Tools_Sale_s/3899.htm

Just thought this may help people.

Edit:

Free Shipping on orders $100+: "GJ0613-FS" *Can be used with the 60% off sale

10% discount: "GJ0613-10%" *Please don't use the coupon for the 60% off sale

Just found out gearwrench, allen and armstrong tools owned by APEX. These parent companies are huge i had no idea. I love my gearwrench and kobalt stuff and i envy the guys at work who have matco and snapon. Specifically matco sockets, like their semideep ones and their one piece gold hex drivers oh and their 88 tooth ratchets... i know if i go onto the trucks, im walking off broke.

I've been a tech for 18yrs(Acura Master Tech) and I can say there IS a huge difference in the tools you use, just because those cheap HF tools have a lifetime warranty doesn't make them a good quality tool or even reliable at that, cheap sockets will round the head of a bolt, cheap screwdrivers will strip out the head of a screw etc...

Yes the tools on the Mac, Snap-on, Cornwell & Matco tool trucks are expensive BUT you make payments on, ONLY BUY what you need, you can add to your tool wants later if you buy something to have it and not use it then your doing it wrong.

another thing to know is:

Mac tools are made by Stanley tools

Husky tools are made by Stanley tools

Blackhawk tools are made by Stanely tools

Matco tools are made by Danaher

Craftsman tools are made by Danaher (before they were made by Stanley)

Kobalt tools are made by Snap-on

Blue-Point tools are made by Snap-on

Snap-on tools are made by Snap-on

S-K tools are made by FACOM

Cornwell tools are made by Cornwell

so in reality there are 3 major tools company's in the U.S. and they are:

Snap-on, Stanley and Danaher.

here's a fun fact about those expensive tool trucks:

Snap-on tools located in Kenosha, Wisconsin

Matco tools located in Stow, Ohio

Mac tools located in Columbus, Ohio (Westerville to be exact)

Cornwell tools located in Wadsworth, Ohio

Fyi Kobalt is mostly made by Danaher now. Have been since '03 or so.

Tool wise ive only bought one set of impact sockets that I wish I didnt. I bought it because it had a 17mm and it was half off. I've only used the 17mm socket twice for vw's, worst lug idea ever too. Other than that I bought a long sleeve matco shirt for winter so I wasnt wearing my good ones, and a pink beanie hat for bella..

Tool wise ive only bought one set of impact sockets that I wish I didnt. I bought it because it had a 17mm and it was half off. I've only used the 17mm socket twice for vw's, worst lug idea ever too. Other than that I bought a long sleeve matco shirt for winter so I wasnt wearing my good ones, and a pink beanie hat for bella..

you can buy just 1 socket off the tool trucks, they'll break up a set without a problem, now the shirt and beanie was a waste of money, you can buy that stuff from any store

If you can get by until spring with the tools you have visit the Springfield swap meet. You will find a huge selection of used tools including American made craftsman and any other brand you wish. You can buy complete sets or by the piece. If you take the time to look around you can make yourself a very nice set of tools you want rather than what comes in a store bought set and for a savings over retail or tool truck.

awesome Ill have to keep that in mind

here is my set up so far

Box-399 :no:

1525057_10100836348448292_2061377195_n.jpg

most of my tools: wrenches, ratchets, pliers, screwdrivers ect..

1491705_10100836348478232_270714491_n.jpg

sockets

1480722_10100836348473242_331483488_n.jpg

impact socket set and guns, the blue one is the 25 dollar one for backup and the red is my new one

1486860_10100836348418352_1139344919_n.jpg

Edited by The_buster

wait until you've been at the job for 1-2 years before you get nice stuff. as stated, buy the 309 piece craftsman set and augment it with tools as needed from harbor freight. you won't know immediately if you can make a career out of this job---trust me, it takes 1-2 years minimum to get the true feel for what a certain career entails. plenty of people buy a $10k box, and $30k in tools, and end up selling it all for $15k two years later when they get out of it, for whatever reason.