Car accident

DKilbourne

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a long story. My ex-wife was in the passenger seat pregnant with my daughter who is now almost 14.

Farkas, go fuck yourself.

love you :dumb:

but for real, what happened? that's pretty intense, and I'm glad nothing happened to your daughter.

I get a little sensitive about it. I bought a Z28 to replace it, and my snotty-ass neighbor had to tell me "how unsafe they were, and that's why I almost died". Yeah, so I bought another one to replace it because I wasn't thinking :rolleyes:

I was traveling up I-95 in Jacksonville, Florida. A Lexus decided he wanted into my lane and cut me off. He clipped me instead. I started to slide and ended up going across the highway. A Lincoln hit me from behind, and I started spinning. I spun off the road, took out a large highway sign, and slid backwards into a group of trees at 70mph.

The guy in the Lexus lost it, but ended up further down on the side of the highway and walked away. The Lincoln managed to stop as well. I was blind in both eyes and paralyzed on my right side. They had to cut the car open to get me out.

So no, I didn't "walk away" on my own power, I had help until they stabilized me on the gurney. But I lived as did my daughter.

The Lexus driver was ultimately found at fault over a year later (long story as well). This ended my Naval career and I have arthritis days, but am still able to manage a decently normal life.

That's the cut and dried version. I told the long story at Doc's a few weeks ago. Stop out sometime and I'll give the full story.

2 or 3 star, huh? Damn, I'm glad those extra stars were missing when I walked away from this:

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b584/Formulized/passside_zps35b5fa48.jpg

I'm not saying the F-body is unsafe, but I am saying that the regulations have changed a lot since then, and it's much, much harder to get a 5 star today. When they were first updated they equated the previous 5 star requirements with the new 3-4 star, depending on how high of a 5 star the car achieved. Of course you don't know how high over the 5 star threshold a car scored so it's just guessing.

Then if you consider IIHS scoring you're even worse since they have created several new tests since that time and made it extremely hard to get Top Safety Pick or Top Safety Pick+. For example, last year IIHS's list of cars that met this criteria was ~130 vehicles, this year it's ~30.

The reality is that today's top rated vehicles are much, much safer than a car designed and certified 20 years ago.

I see what you're saying, Phil. My point is that the 20 year old requirements still saved my life, without the need for 12 airbags and auto-assisted "x".

I still feel safer driving my 4th Gens than the majority of vehicles out there today. The '13 Escape my company gave me to drive received 2-3 stars on ratings. I hope to hell I never face in it what I did in my Camaro, because I wouldn't walk away this time.

The actual seat? Really? Never heard this before. Got any tech articles about this or something i can read about it on?

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/childps/childrestraints/reuse/restraintreuse.htm

Child Restraint Re-use After Minor Crashes

NHTSA Position

NHTSA recommends that child safety seats be replaced following a moderate or severe crash in order to ensure a continued high level of crash protection for child passengers.

NHTSA recommends that child safety seats do not automatically need to be replaced following a minor crash.

Minor crashes are those that meet ALL of the following criteria:

The vehicle was able to be driven away from the crash site;

The vehicle door nearest the safety seat was undamaged;

There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants;

The air bags (if present) did not deploy; AND

There is no visible damage to the safety seat

Clarifying the need for child seat replacement will reduce the number of children unnecessarily riding without a child safety seat while a replacement seat is being acquired, and the number of children who will have to ride without a child seat if a seat were discarded and not replaced. The clarification will also reduce the financial burden of unnecessary replacement.

So, for anyone out there that has been rear ended before, how long before the neck and head pain go away?

:no::no::no: If you have to ask...

How much pain are you feeling? Are you sleeping fine at night? Twang of pain when you turn your head? If it's muscular it should only be a dull, sore pain with maybe a bit of a tweak when you tilt/turn your head a certain way.

I was rear-ended by a drunk driver in Cleveland back in 2000. My Passat absorbed the collision all the way up to the rear glass but 4 of us in the car walked away. Car was rebuilt and I still drive it today. Wife had a sore neck but it went away in a few days; docs looked at her the night of the accident as a precaution and said it was muscle strain.

:no::no::no: If you have to ask...

How much pain are you feeling? Are you sleeping fine at night? Twang of pain when you turn your head? If it's muscular it should only be a dull, sore pain with maybe a bit of a tweak when you tilt/turn your head a certain way.

I was rear-ended by a drunk driver in Cleveland back in 2000. My Passat absorbed the collision all the way up to the rear glass but 4 of us in the car walked away. Car was rebuilt and I still drive it today. Wife had a sore neck but it went away in a few days; docs looked at her the night of the accident as a precaution and said it was muscle strain.

It seems to be muscle pain, but I thought it may have been gone by now. It has been 6 days.

Is it neck, or back of the head, or both? Any tender spots when you press on the back of your head or neck?

It's both. The spot that my head hit the head rest is tender and my neck is rather "tight". I don't have a concussion as they checked that already.

So, you did get checked out at the scene by a paramedic?

You should know your own body...i.e. go to the ER immediately if it gets any worse after today. That being said, I personally wouldn't worry about it unless it persists through the new year (Weds/Thurs).

Make sure you're taking it easy with any sort of strenuous activity...really easy to exacerbate the situation. Tylenol/Ibuprofen/Aspirin and plenty of water will be your friend.

I've already been to the ER. All they did was say no brain trauma and gave me a very small scrip for pain. Also mentioned that I would be sore for a little while. Just wasn't sure what that really meant. I'm also already on a 600mg/3x daily dose of Motrin for my stupid arm.

When I got rearended at 50 mph, I didn't experience any pain. I think it was because the Saab absorbed the impact and made it feel like a parking lot bump.

Rest up and like clay said, pain meds will help. Also alternate between cold and hot compresses