Need Euro expertise please

Littleguy

Well, I was the victim of a hit and run driver this past week and my Lexus was destroyed. Now I need to get something new and I have decided I want a sedan but I can't decide on what. The safe choice is a 2011 Lexus ES350, it has all the luxury I need, it's dependable, but it is so so boring. With that in mind I have been considering two other cars that I'm hoping you folks know more about than me. My favorite choice, and the one I am most scared to own would be the 2010 Jaguar XF. It has such a great interior and the 5.0 v8 sounds awesome, but I am very afraid of owning a used Jag. The compromise between the Lexus and the Jag seems to be a 2010 or 2011 Mercedes E350 sedan. What I need to know is how to the Mercedes and Jag stack up as far as reliability? I don't mind spending more on maintenance than I would with the Lexus, I just don't want to be spending a ton on repairs. Thanks in advance for your advice!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of figured that about the XF, it's just such a nice car if it worked lol. I have heard that the Mercedes should be more reliable than the equivalent BMW? I have tried to look up info and so far I haven't heard many complaints about the E350 engine or electronics.

I have heard that the Mercedes should be more reliable than the equivalent BMW? I have tried to look up info and so far I haven't heard many complaints about the E350 engine or electronics.

Mercedes = $$$ Maintenance/Repairs.

Why not get a RWD Lexus? ES350's are old people cars...(no offense)

Mercedes = $$$ Maintenance/Repairs.

because most people that have actually owned/driven an 11 second car want something fwd awd for winter, not something rwd which will suck in comparison

christ he's already willing to buy a lexus.. fanboy aj leave him alone and grobble his nutz once he buys a glorified toyota..

Honestly, I think I'm the only person I know who doesn't really like the GS. For me it's pretty much exactly like the ES except for RWD and 10-15K more expensive.

Audi S4?

I've driven an A4 and an A5 and I like a lot about Audi's, especially the exteriors, but there are some hangups that I can't get over. First, I leave my hand on the shifter when I drive and the Audi shifter just doesn't feel good in the hand, my other issue is that I would be looking at a 2.0T model and for my personal preference having an engine smaller than a V6 just doesn't feel luxurious to me.

Honestly, I think I'm the only person I know who doesn't really like the GS. For me it's pretty much exactly like the ES except for RWD and 10-15K more expensive.

This I did not know, hence why I asked.

Derek, a lil grumpy eh? Need to get dat Mustang out brah ;)

This would be my vote. AWD plus the Ecoboost makes a great combination.

I have thought of these in the past, I'm just not sure if the luxury is there. That and the fact that I already have a fast car so speed is not a factor for me in my daily. I was talking to Christian earlier today and the one car I have been talking and talking about is the FRS, he said that although I really like that car it doesn't check many of my boxes and I wonder if the same would be true with an SHO.

Dont get a Sciotaru FRZ-86 for a daily when you already have the RX-7. All the Mercedes i drove at work always seemed like nice luxury cars, but repairs are a pita on them, and BMW's seem more like sport-luxury cars to me. I think you should get either a benz if you can live with the repairs or a lexus. (Havnt driven many new Lexus's, dont know how "Nice" they really are.

I have thought of these in the past, I'm just not sure if the luxury is there. That and the fact that I already have a fast car so speed is not a factor for me in my daily. I was talking to Christian earlier today and the one car I have been talking and talking about is the FRS, he said that although I really like that car it doesn't check many of my boxes and I wonder if the same would be true with an SHO.

I've driven a SHO and thought it was very luxurious. Not on the same level as a Lexus or Mercedes, but it's up there.

Well, first of all, thanks for all of the opinions and advice, I really appreciate it as this is kind of going to have to be a fast purchase.

Acura RL or TL AWD? Offers the same as the ES350 except it isn't a Camry.

Honestly, I'm not a BMW or Acura person and I probably would never buy either one, even though I know BMW makes good sports sedans and Acuras are reliable.

Any Mercedes experts? So far I've been looking on the one MB forum I could find and they don't seem to have many issues besides complaints right after software updates and the fact that the transmission needs to be serviced every 40K miles.

For some added fun, here is my smashed up Lexus:

Got rear ended while cruising at 60.

http://www.newcelica.org/photopost/data/500/medium/photo47.jpg

http://www.newcelica.org/photopost/data/500/medium/photo_3_3.jpg

http://www.newcelica.org/photopost/data/500/medium/photo_4_1.jpg

The passenger side was more damaged but I was kind of out of it and didn't take enough pics.

Edited by Littleguy

I have not driven the new IS, but as an owner of the first gen IS, they are just about the perfect blend of performance and daily driver. I suspect the new one is even better.

With regular tires, they are treacherous in snow, but with snow tires (I have Blizzak's) they are fine.

ride is stiff....drove mine for 18 months..if you have driven a care with stiff coil overs you will feel at home. Much stiffer than the m3. Car eats front tires due to camber and rear tires due to power. Rotors are crazy if you use factory parts. Oil changes were 60 at the dealer for full synthetic. Good new is nothing breaks. Just change the oil, tires, and watch the rotors and pads. Amazing car...averaged 21mpg and up to 31 on the highway...

I would do an ISF in a heartbeat if I could find a descent one for around $30K. The regular IS just doesn't seem special enough to justify it's smaller size and, again, year for year they run around the same price as an ES that come with a few more options.