Need Euro expertise please

Littleguy

Mercedes Feedback. We've owned our E55 for right about 5 years now. Honestly on the mechanical side it's been extremely reliable. It's really luxurious inside, has a nice soft ride, above average sound system and great features like active dynamic seats, massage function in the seats, etc. My only grip with the car is it's a little too luxurious for my liking thus it's not very involving to drive from a drivers standpoint though for a daily that's probably exactly what most of the target audience is after.

It's not the best snow car though I sold my wife's winter beater and she's managed this winter on all seasons. A couple of times we've opted to leave it in the garage and carpool because she wasn't comfortable driving it but this is the first winter season I haven't put dedicated snow tires on it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thought of these in the past, I'm just not sure if the luxury is there. That and the fact that I already have a fast car so speed is not a factor for me in my daily. I was talking to Christian earlier today and the one car I have been talking and talking about is the FRS, he said that although I really like that car it doesn't check many of my boxes and I wonder if the same would be true with an SHO.

How about it's luxury cousin, Lincoln MKS Ecoboost?

Get one CPO that's a year or two old and a majority of the bad depreciation is gone, especially on a loaded one.

For example

No, I don't think it'll be on the same level as an E350 or ES350. But for the price, I don't believe you'll find more goodies anywhere.

Only feedback I can give about Jaguar is that I have a Jaguar engine in my LR3. It has 150k miles on it and going strong. Only thing that's ever been replaced was the thermostat because the rubber gasket went bad at around 120k, and it took me about 10 minutes to replace.

Mercedes Feedback. We've owned our E55 for right about 5 years now. Honestly on the mechanical side it's been extremely reliable. It's really luxurious inside, has a nice soft ride, above average sound system and great features like active dynamic seats, massage function in the seats, etc. My only grip with the car is it's a little too luxurious for my liking thus it's not very involving to drive from a drivers standpoint though for a daily that's probably exactly what most of the target audience is after.

Thanks so much for the info. Reading this first paragraph you wrote I was thinking that this sounds perfect for what I'm looking for in a daily. From what I have been able to research online they seem to do pretty well so far in the reliability area. I'm going to take a look at one on Wednesday after work so we'll see how that goes.

Only feedback I can give about Jaguar is that I have a Jaguar engine in my LR3. It has 150k miles on it and going strong. Only thing that's ever been replaced was the thermostat because the rubber gasket went bad at around 120k, and it took me about 10 minutes to replace.

You know, in doing my research I feel like you can't really go wrong engine wise with almost any manufacturer these days. On the Jaguar I think everybody else's electrical issues have pretty well steered me away from getting one...but I must say the XF is so so damn sexy.

How about it's luxury cousin, Lincoln MKS Ecoboost?

Get one CPO that's a year or two old and a majority of the bad depreciation is gone, especially on a loaded one.

For example

No, I don't think it'll be on the same level as an E350 or ES350. But for the price, I don't believe you'll find more goodies anywhere.

Thanks for the suggestion, I know I keep on telling people no when they suggest something but I really really appreciate all of the input/ideas, they help get me thinking. I think after doing more research today I've had to narrow it down to the Lexus or the Mercedes for what I'm after. For those who don't know, traffic in Houston is literally HELL. Driving dynamics and speed of a car will rarely be enjoyed by me, so if I can have a soft place to sit surrounded by nice materials and insulated from the outside world I think that's as much as I can enjoy a car on a typical day. I'll probably have to get something by this weekend.

Thanks so much for the info. Reading this first paragraph you wrote I was thinking that this sounds perfect for what I'm looking for in a daily. From what I have been able to research online they seem to do pretty well so far in the reliability area. I'm going to take a look at one on Wednesday after work so we'll see how that goes.

You know, in doing my research I feel like you can't really go wrong engine wise with almost any manufacturer these days. On the Jaguar I think everybody else's electrical issues have pretty well steered me away from getting one...but I must say the XF is so so damn sexy.

Thanks for the suggestion, I know I keep on telling people no when they suggest something but I really really appreciate all of the input/ideas, they help get me thinking. I think after doing more research today I've had to narrow it down to the Lexus or the Mercedes for what I'm after. For those who don't know, traffic in Houston is literally HELL. Driving dynamics and speed of a car will rarely be enjoyed by me, so if I can have a soft place to sit surrounded by nice materials and insulated from the outside world I think that's as much as I can enjoy a car on a typical day. I'll probably have to get something by this weekend.

a Lexus will not only insulate you from the ravages of shitty traffic, but it will do so more consistently for longer than the Merc will. Old Mercs can be comfy for sure, but a friend of mine traded in an old Lexus LS and even 13 years old that thing was more luxurious than most new Mercs IMO.

This may be a bit off, but go check out your local Kia dealer. The Optima SX/SX-L or Kia Cadenza can be had new at a great price. With more options than most of these cars listed. Plus a great warranty. Hyundai has a pretty good line up too.

This may be a bit off, but go check out your local Kia dealer. The Optima SX/SX-L or Kia Cadenza can be had new at a great price. With more options than most of these cars listed. Plus a great warranty. Hyundai has a pretty good line up too.

They're nice cars for sure, but they can't hold a candle to Lexus.

I completely agree and would prefer Lexus or Audi over anything listed in this thread. Just listing another option to consider. Many high end badge buyers are making the switch to these up and coming brands with no regrets. You can get a lot of car for the money.

I completely agree and would prefer Lexus or Audi over anything listed in this thread. Just listing another option to consider. Many high end badge buyers are making the switch to these up and coming brands with no regrets. You can get a lot of car for the money.

Point taken. I personally think the Genesis 4.6 is one of the best values on the market today.

This. I actually have an Optima rental from Enterprise and it is loaded up with features for the money. I went over a speed bump in my neighborhood yesterday at 20mph like I always do in my Lexus and I thought the damn Kia was going to break my back!

I really like the new Q50 or a m35x

Meh, they are nice cars but I wouldn't enjoy dropping hard earned money on them.

I really like the new buick regal gs. Specially in the white. I'm not sure on your price range though

I looked at this, but not special enough to justify the small size. It is one hell of a sleeper though. I want my neighbor to buy one so I can look at it and ride in it but not actually have to buy it, lol.

or trade in that pile of rx7 of his and have his daily/play vehicle a new Ctsv :D OOO YEAHHH!!!

Oh you muther-truckin' son-of-a-gun. Driving the Mazda to work on Fridays and setting off alarms in the parking garage is one of my favorite things to do.

This. I actually have an Optima rental from Enterprise and it is loaded up with features for the money. I went over a speed bump in my neighborhood yesterday at 20mph like I always do in my Lexus and I thought the damn Kia was going to break my back!

Meh, they are nice cars but I wouldn't enjoy dropping hard earned money on them.

I looked at this, but not special enough to justify the small size. It is one hell of a sleeper though. I want my neighbor to buy one so I can look at it and ride in it but not actually have to buy it, lol.

Oh you muther-truckin' son-of-a-gun. Driving the Mazda to work on Fridays and setting off alarms in the parking garage is one of my favorite things to do.

Once a ricer, always a ricer.

My Mom has had '08, '09, and '11 E350 4Matics over the years. They've all been flawless machines. The 3.5 V6 is about as bulletproof as it gets. Both the 5AT, and 7AT seem solid. Interior is vault-like. They cruise excellently, and despite the non-AMG stigma, acceleration is sufficiently potent.

Once a ricer, always a ricer.

I is what I is, lol.

My Mom has had '08, '09, and '11 E350 4Matics over the years. They've all been flawless machines. The 3.5 V6 is about as bulletproof as it gets. Both the 5AT, and 7AT seem solid. Interior is vault-like. They cruise excellently, and despite the non-AMG stigma, acceleration is sufficiently potent.

Thanks for the info, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'm looking at a couple of 4Matics.

Well, I kept going back and forth between the E350 and the XF and I kept on loving the XF but realizing that the E350 might be more practical. With that being said I purchased a Jaguar XF 4.2V8 today. I will be taking delivery of the car on Wednesday so I'll post pics then.

Well, I kept going back and forth between the E350 and the XF and I kept on loving the XF but realizing that the E350 might be more practical. With that being said I purchased a Jaguar XF 4.2V8 today. I will be taking delivery of the car on Wednesday so I'll post pics then.

Congrats, but you should have at least test drive the E55 or E63 AMG ;)

I bet you can't wait for the first time you hand a valet your ticket and say "its the Jaaaaaaaaag" :lolguy:

congrats!