LEGOs. I'm still a kid apparently.

Draco-REX

It's been around 25 years since I played with Legos. But this past Xmas I gave a couple Lego sets to my nephew. Between the two of us, I think I had more fun playing with them. :D But it reminded me how much fun I had building with them. So I picked up a big-boy kit to build the other day:

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/sites/carbuyer_d7/files/styles/article_main_wide_image/public/lego_technic_grand_prix_racer_42000.jpg?itok=YC-OrTln

This thing is unbelievably cool. And huge.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5535/12561723245_bfa36712e1_c.jpg

The instruction booklet is in three parts! What really blew me away was the suspension and drive line. It has a fully-independent suspension with push-rod actuated shocks. The rear also has telescopic C/V half-shafts and a fully functional differential.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7307/12561842803_e886152ed0_c.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7292/12562214234_2abd0f16e8_c.jpg

Other neat details: The steering wheel turns with the front wheels, and you build a two-position transmission that controls the adjustable rear wing and elevating engine cover through a single rotating knob.

The GP racer took most of a Saturday to build. Attention to detail counts HEAVILY, and I highly recommend getting a bunch of zip-lock baggies to keep the pieces sorted. Like most Lego sets, there's an alternate design of a "Racing Truck" that I'll likely do at some point. :D There is also a MASSIVE crane kit and a truck kit that has a remote control! If I get the R/C kit I think I'll try to adapt it to the GP racer. :D

I'm really impressed with what Lego has done; I was geeking out on this this kit all day. :) I do miss that the kit doesn't use more conventional blocks, and instead uses a pin-and-girder design, but I can work with that. Overall it was a lot of fun.

Wow I did not expect it to be that much at all.

I think it's $200 from the store. I didn't have the same kit, but in 1995 I had an F1 kit that have working v8, transmission, steering wheel,...

My son is only four and we build a kit every two weeks or so with him. Not this level yet though, but I can't wait :)

It was $160 I think at Toys R Us. The R/C truck and crane are $200+. The thing is, it took me about 8-9 hours to put together, plus there's another vehicle to build, so another 9 hours or so, making it come to about $10/hr of entertainment. Not too bad of a deal. And that's not counting any future fiddling I do or the fact that I end up with a cool model to display. :)

Cool stuff. My son is into K'nex and Bionicals. We spend about $250 at the container store putting together some bad-ass storage for them all. :) However, in the hands of a 10yr old they still end up all over the floor of his room :(

He enjoys them and comes up with some crazy ass stuff. Well beyond what the packages often show. :cool:

Might have to have us a Sunday build a thon.

TO me this isn't a lego......This is more like building a model. Still cool, but not legos like I played with. I remeberber building a whole town, with firehouse, Hospital, Helicopter rescue, etc.......and I looked like legos.

There's the Creator and City sets for that as well.

Ive always wanted the giant space shuttle lego kit, but its crazy expensive. I like the grand prix car though. Do you have the motor that can be hooked up to it?

No. But the motor will just operate the engine cover and adjustable wing. To drive the wheels you'd have to work it into where the engine is. Shouldn't be too difficult through. I'm thinking with the R/C kit I could put the steering servo where the cockpit is or maybe just in front of the steering wheel.

Race to the finish with the Grand Prix Racer! Get ready to burn rubber in the Grand Prix Racer! This 2-in-1 LEGO® Technic model is crammed with realistic details and functions, like the opening engine cover, independent all-wheel suspension, V8 engine with moving pistons, adjustable rear spoiler and steering capabilities. Build a model that's just like the real thing! Motorize it with 8293 LEGO Power Functions Motor Set (sold separately) for even more supercharged fun! Rebuilds into a cool Race Truck with independent front and rear wheel suspension, engine with moving pistons, opening hood and adjustable rear wing.

Here you go for the RC functions

TO me this isn't a lego......This is more like building a model. Still cool, but not legos like I played with. I remeberber building a whole town, with firehouse, Hospital, Helicopter rescue, etc.......and I looked like legos.

I completely agree. Not a technic fan in general. These large kits are cool, but I'm a traditional lego guy.

I completely agree. Not a technic fan in general. These large kits are cool, but I'm a traditional lego guy.

Same

Personally, I prefer a large ass box of random bricks and my imagination.

The GP kit has 1141 pieces. Only about 50 pieces are specific to the car, and those have enough connections to be useful in other designs. Other than the lack of Lego dots, I think this is a true Lego kit.

I broke down the car and I'm building the truck now. Took me about 4 hours to separate and sort the pieces. The truck should be cool. I'll have pics when I'm done.

Technic and other off shoots of traditional lego's have been around forever, and are absolutely real legos.

I grew up with the traditional legos, so thats what I prefer.

I actually think I do have 1 technic kit, an old blue tow truck. http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/8462-1

I got the tow truck for when this kit "broke." This is actually the only picture of it I can find since I don't remember the name/number of it. http://www.reocities.com/misterso/mteam.jpg