Opinions on this car?

Dr. Pomade

A few things I wondered and would appreciate your input about:

1. Has anyone heard of that shop that did the performance upgrades?

2. Are the claims of HP consistent with the noted upgrades?

3. What do you think of the smoked tail lights? (Believe me, I care about tail lights.)

4. Thoughts on price? Too high? I've done a lot of pricing on the 996's, but not so much on the 997's.

5. Anyone else concerned about the lack of interior pics? (I put an email into the dealership to ask about that.)

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=43085&endYear=2008&modelCode1=911&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1998&makeCode1=POR&transmissionCode=MAN&transmissionCodes=MAN&searchRadius=0&extColorsSimple=WHITE&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=%5BPOR%5B911%5B911%257CTurbo%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=359273880&Log=0

There was a 997.2 at CC&C yesterday. Amazing cars.

Considering the cost to modify one of these - let alone the $130K+ sticker price - I'd say that could be a great 10-20year car for you, with a high resale value for years to come.

I am usually ok at reading/understanding CarFax but that thing is throwing me for a loop. Not sure if it has to do with the fact that it's modified, but it looks it it was sold but the title wasn't transferred for 7 months? That's just bizarre to me.

Nice car but I would definitely want to know more about that gap in the car's history. Could be nothing though.

That thread on rennlist was very informative; Jones, thanks for posting that up.

Too many red flags for me, so I think I'll pass on this one. However, I think I'm pretty much set on how it looks. Aesthetically, and outwardly, it's just what I want.

I'm having a hard time finding a x50 996 TT in white. I might open up the search to include white 997 TTS.

That thread on rennlist was very informative; Jones, thanks for posting that up.

Too many red flags for me, so I think I'll pass on this one. However, I think I'm pretty much set on how it looks. Aesthetically, and outwardly, it's just what I want.

I'm having a hard time finding a x50 996 TT in white. I might open up the search to include white 997 TTS.

I would go 997 if you want to keep for awhile. If just a fun car for a season, 996 and save the $$.

Next time you have a day off go up to Toy Barn and spend couple hours. They have a lot of cars that would fit your taste. You don't have to buy from them either ;).

I know I will probably be drug over the coals for this one, but have you thought about getting the car you want minus the color and just having it painted?

Might just be me but if you're dropping that kind of coin it has to come exactly how you want it.

I know I will probably be drug over the coals for this one, but have you thought about getting the car you want minus the color and just having it painted?

Yup, I have thought about it a few times, actually. However, I'm concerned about the costs, especially considering how much the car costs anyway. Further, I'd be concerned about the resale value of the car. (I doubt I'd keep this car forever - I never keep any car forever, or for more than like three years.) Also, since I'm not in any rush to buy the car, I figure I can just wait it out and get the one I really want, as opposed to compromising.

Hmmmm. In the 30 second video tour of the car, the word "potent" is used twice. http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/emoticons/confused0006.gif Probably not significant.

On a serious note, you seem very taken by this model of car. I know that feeling. I fell in love with a new Carrera 4 Cabriolet, kept it less than 6 months and took a terrible hit on selling it because I fell out of love with it so quickly. Granted, they are different cars, and mine wasn't the Turbo. Mine seemed more and more like a go cart to me the more I drove it. I was disappointed with the cheap interior and poor ergonomics. I grew bored with the handling. Years later, when I bought a Lotus, I realized that this was the car I thought I was getting when I bought the Porsche.

I've never cared for Porsche since then. I can't be critical of Porsche fans because they see something in their cars that I don't (or maybe I refuse to). Perhaps I don't have the skill and knowledge to appreciate the finer points of a Porsche. We're fortunate that we can choose from such a variety of cars.

If you want this, get it. If you do, I hope it brings you more joy and pride in ownership than mine gave me.

Hmmmm. In the 30 second video tour of the car, the word "potent" is used twice. http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r445/martyr65/emoticons/confused0006.gif Probably not significant.

On a serious note, you seem very taken by this model of car. I know that feeling. I fell in love with a new Carrera 4 Cabriolet, kept it less than 6 months and took a terrible hit on selling it because I fell out of love with it so quickly. Granted, they are different cars, and mine wasn't the Turbo. Mine seemed more and more like a go cart to me the more I drove it. I was disappointed with the cheap interior and poor ergonomics. I grew bored with the handling. Years later, when I bought a Lotus, I realized that this was the car I thought I was getting when I bought the Porsche.

I've never cared for Porsche since then. I can't be critical of Porsche fans because they see something in their cars that I don't (or maybe I refuse to). Perhaps I don't have the skill and knowledge to appreciate the finer points of a Porsche. We're fortunate that we can choose from such a variety of cars.

If you want this, get it. If you do, I hope it brings you more joy and pride in ownership than mine gave me.

After driving your Lotus I got back into my Porsche and it felt like a slow, fat pig. :)

Ryan, if you buy the correct Porsche, it will be the correct original color, and have all service records. If you have everything in order, the value of the car is extremely high. Once you start making changes, that all goes out the window. Exotic collectors want a car with a known history. Color has a LOT to do with the value of a Porsche.

I figured painting it would be a slim chance, and I knew painting it would effect the resale value but I didnt know resale would take such a big hit even with a quality paintjob. And snowflake, I agree with you, i just wasn't sure how long he was willing to wait for the exact match for his criteria.

The Turbo version of the 997 series featured the same 3.6 L twin-turbocharged engine as the 996 Turbo, but this time it developed 480 PS (353 kW; 473 bhp) and 620 N·m (457 lb·ft) of torque. This was in part due to the 997's VTG (variable turbine geometry), which essentially combines the low-rev boost and quick responses of a small turbocharger with the high-rev power of a larger turbocharger. As well as producing more power and flexibility, the new turbocharger improved fuel consumption over the 996 Turbo. With these performance upgrades, it accelerates to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.7 seconds (with the manual transmission) and reaches a top speed of 310 km/h (193 mph). However, these are official figures and Porsche is notable for being conservative about their power and performance ratings. Motor Trend magazine has clocked the 997 Turbo's 0–60 mph time in 3.2 seconds with the Tiptronic transmission. Jeremy Clarkson on his "Thriller" DVD, showed that on a de-restricted stretch of autobahn with just the right downwards gradient, the car maxed out 200 mph (320 km/h). The optional Sports Chrono overboost package increases torque to 680 N·m (500 lb·ft) for short periods (maximum 10 seconds) but over a narrower rev range.

The 997 Turbo features a new all-wheel-drive system, similar to the one found on the Porsche Cayenne. Featuring PTM (Porsche Traction Management) the new system incorporates a clutch-based system which varies the amount of torque to the wheels to avoid tyre slippage. This, according to Porsche, aids traction and the handling by redirecting the torque to control oversteer or understeer, thus resulting in far more neutral handling, as well as greatly improved performance in all weather conditions (as opposed to older AWD system which gave the Turbo stability under hard acceleration). However, in the facelifted 911 Turbo, launched in August 2009,[23] the PTM system has now been tweaked to give more a more rearward power bias. The new 911 Turbo also has paddle shifters for the PDK double-clutch gearbox for the first time.[23] The new 911 turbo uses a completely different engine. The previous water-cooled turbos (996 and 997) measured 3600cc and were based on the so-called Mezger motor that powered numerous race cars. The new engine measures 3800cc and was first developed for the new carrera that was launched in 2008. The variable-vane twin turbochargers have also been extensively reworked to increase responsiveness, and the intercooler and fuel system have been uprated. It develops 493 bhp which is 20 bhp more than the previous model.[23] The steering wheel also houses a display showing when Sport, Sport Plus and launch control have been selected through the optional Sport Chrono package.[23] Porsche claims the new 911 turbo will go from 0 to 100 kilometres per hour (0 to 62 mph) in 3.4 seconds and reach a top-speed of 312 kilometres per hour (194 mph). However, several tests done by Auto-Magazines and impartial testers have revealed that the 0–100 km/h acceleration-time is generally as low as 2.9 seconds.

Styling wise, as with the 996 Turbo the car featured more distinctive styling cues over the Carreras, one of the more distinctive elements the front LED driving/parking/indicator lights mounted on a horizontal bar across the air intakes. The traditional rear wing is a variation of the 996 bi-plane unit.

A new 911 Turbo S has been announced by Porsche for production in 2010. This is, in essence, a fully optioned Porsche 911 Turbo. It has a PDK gearbox, sport exhausts, and other such options as standard. It also comes with re engineered turbos to give an extra 30 horsepower to a total of 523 hp. A 2010 911 Turbo S was tested 0–60 in 2.7 seconds with the PDK transmission by Car and Driver magazine. Road & Track tested the 911 Turbo S and achieved a 0–60 time of 2.6 seconds. The 911 Turbo S can reach a top-speed of 315 kilometres per hour (196 mph).

All pulled from wiki about the 997 Turbo from the 997 Series (2005-2012)

Is this true? Is the 997 Turbo S really that fast? And even though they keep talking PDK PDK PDK can he get a 6 speed Turbo S?