These Threads are fun. What should I buy

AudiOn19s

Wifey needs new Daily Driver. Narrowed down to 3 potential vehicles...well two actually with one being a long shot. Can't really decide looking for more opinions to make the decision even more difficult.

E92 M3 - 415hp GT car. Does everything Very well. Does nothing outstanding. Has usable backseat not that anyone would ever be allowed to sit back there but nice to have I guess just in case. My heart says this is the right car. I really miss my E46 M3 I should have never sold it...moment of weakness I guess. Probably get an '11 if I get an E92 so It'll have some sort of warranty for at least a short period of time should I need to shake out any problems. What worries me is more and more reports of rod bearing issues in this platform though they are still considered isolated.

http://photos.ecarlist.com/6k/cQ/3e/2A/5z/D9/W1/F2/VM/hc/nQ_800.jpg

Cayenne Turbo - Say what? an SUV? doesn't make any sense. - I have the desire to start towing the GT3 to more and more long distance events. I'm trying to avoid buying a truck that I will only use for towing. Thinking I can consolidate vehicles instead of accumulating more by getting a Cayenne Turbo. Still meets her need for speed criteria plus it's a vehicle she can use in the winter. I sold her winter car and she complained all winter about driving the E55 in the snow. My Mind tells me this is the best / smartest decision to meet our current needs, my heart tells me it will be boring to drive and I'll hate it. This will also be an '11 model so the latest body style and still have a little warranty when purchased.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee206/dbvolz/2011CayenneTurboFrontQuarter.jpg

Long shot: 997 Turbo - She won't drive a 996 turbo..I've tried she thinks it's too old. Women are stupid sometimes and this isn't a battle I'll win. so 997 is a candidate. It's the clear winner if money is no object. Problem is with an impending house I'm 75% sure I'm not going to make the stretch to get a 997 turbo at this point.

http://cdn-www.rsportscars.com/images/porsche/2007-porsche-911-turbo/911turbo07_091600_w800.jpg

Thoughts?

997 Turbo doesn't seem to fit your needs, besides awesome. You'd still have to get a tow rig.

If prices are the same, I'd go Cayenne Turbo for its ability to check the speed, winter and towing boxes.

If E92 is cheaper, get that and a 10k truck.

Sort Of On Topic:

On my way home the other night, (in the passat :fuuuu:) saw a beauty of an e92, white with "das v8" as the plate. Sounded like straight pipes, was loud as hell, which I loved.

I've seen that guy in hilliard as well, downshifting and making all kinds of good sounds. Not as secksy sounding as a 911.

Seems like the Cayennes depreciate horribly which would make me think twice.

E92 no doubt sounds like an animal...they even did pretty good on the stock exhaust which won't stick around however if that's the choice.

Rymer hit the nail on the head. If I go Cayenne it's a keeper long term cause short term it will drop like a rock...it'll be worth $25k at best in 5 years. Not that the others will be worth a stack of cash but the Cayenne will take the biggest hit.

E92 is 10-15k cheaper than Cayenne Turbo so I could do E92 plus truck...trying to avoid having 6 cars again.

There was a 996 GT2 I tried and tried and tried to get her to settle on. That car is actually one that's not going to depreciate much at all but again woman logic prevailed it was too old and didn't have a sunroof nor modern electronics. Not winning that battle. Tried GT3 as well...997's have a sunroof but it's as much money as 997 turbo and turbo is a much better street car.

E92 M3 - 415hp GT car. Does everything Very well. Does nothing outstanding. Has usable backseat not that anyone would ever be allowed to sit back there but nice to have I guess just in case. My heart says this is the right car. I really miss my E46 M3 I should have never sold it...moment of weakness I guess. Probably get an '11 if I get an E92 so It'll have some sort of warranty for at least a short period of time should I need to shake out any problems. What worries me is more and more reports of rod bearing issues in this platform though they are still considered isolated.

Andy,

I'm "DAS V8" with the straight-piped E92. Let me know if you'd like to check out my car and I'm happy to talk rod bearings, I have blackstone oil reports from my last 3 oil changes and I'm currently at 78k on my 2008. I have no worries about my motor turning into a $25k paperweight.

-Eric

cayenne turbo, you already have a 4 door car, you already have a 2 door sports car. why not switch it up and have a nice fast(for a suv) fun suv. its not like its a boring explorer, its sporty and does everything you would need.

75% no means 25% yes and that equals 100% green light on the 997. That's pretty much scientific math, which is undisputable.

You know my affinity for the 997. And, you know my situation is much like yours - if I wasn't in contract on a house at this very moment I'd be posting up cheesy "I need my name changed to Dr. 997 or Johnny Porsche" or something like that. So, my kneejerk reaction is to scream "OMG 997 NOW AND 4EVER."

However, when I start to mull it over and get past my own biases, I'm leaning toward the Cayenne. My reasoning here is that is it just far more useful than the other two. It will double for your tow-truck, so that's checked off the list. Also, you can actually put stuff in it, like groceries and other people. Further, it adds another Porsche to the stable. How fucking baller are you and your wife that you tow around one Porsche with another Porsche? Check the box labeled awesome.

Call me sexist, but I like my wife behind the wheel of an SUV. Because when she goes all woman and drives through some shit I want her surrounded by as much metal and mass as possible. This is another reason why I lean toward the Cayenne.

Of course, I think I speak for all of us heterosexual men when I say that I'd love to jock your wife at the gas station as she pulls up in a hot ass 997. I mean, let's just face facts. But, I doubt our ogling pleasure will factor into your decision here.

cayenne turbo, you already have a 4 door car, you already have a 2 door sports car. why not switch it up and have a nice fast(for a suv) fun suv. its not like its a boring explorer, its sporty and does everything you would need.

+1

I bought a tbss thinking it would be the best of all worlds, but I ended up being miserable in that thing. It was only average as a performer and average as a utility. I'm sure a Cayenne Turbo beats a tbss at everything, but I learned to always buy one car/one purpose. Plus, spending $85 every 225 miles got old real damn quick.

You've got other fun cars, so whatever, but I would personally not buy a "performance" suv again. Just my two nickels.

Man that is tough in my book. Driving the e9x around a track to its limit (my limit) is a lot of fun and both Porsches would be great.

My vote would be a Cayenne GTS if that is in your price range. In my opinion they look sooo much better but not sure if towing is the same for the GTS.

Either way, any three would be a win. Tough choice man, good luck.