Got my new bass...

caseyctsv

Yep. The Pastorius family has even offered to buy it from Robert, but he will not sell it to them. Fuck him.

You read my mind, I was going to ask if they had ever found it.

I was mixing that story up with that of the funk machine.

I stand totally corrected. I haven't done reasearch on it in several years, but here is the current:

"The instrument was stolen from a park bench in New York City’s Greenwich Village in 1986, and remained lost until it showed up in 2007 at a little music store in Manhattan’s East Side. The store owner had purchased it used from an anonymous seller for a measly sum, and refused to return it to Pastorius’ family upon discovering who it originally belonged to. After an intense legal battle between the owner and the family — along with Trujillo’s help, who had become a family friend years prior — the case was settled and the bass was returned to its rightful owners. To thank him for his help, the bass was handed over to Trujillo with the agreement with the family that if they wanted it back for any reason, he would return it. For Trujillo, it was as much of an honor as it was an ecstatic experience.

“Last September, I played it for the first time at Yankee Stadium. It was the first time in many, many years that it had been played in front of a New York audience,” Trujillo explains. The Pastorius family was in attendance, and Trujillo chose to pay tribute to Jaco and Cliff Burton — two of his biggest heroes — by playing ‘For Whom the Bell Tolls’ with the legendary bass. Trujillo explains the feeling, stating, “That was a very special moment in my life. It was also special to the family, and it was special to the instrument.

Casey, sorry for the hijack. I had to post the correction, though.

I did a little research last night as well after reading your post. Appears Trujillo owns it and it sits mostly in a vault with the other band members collectors items and is rarely played and he said he feels as if he doesn't truly "own" it.