A tool thread?

Geeesammy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knipex Cobra. If its stripped and it turns, this will turn it.

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/knipex/DSC04518.jpg

They make some nice sidecuts as well ($50). But if someone is trapped in a car those sidecuts could probably get them out.

Staying organized is the key to me being efficent at my job, so I'd say the tool organizers and big magnets that hold everything in place are a huge difference. I hate working at home because I spend so much more time looking for stuff. Other then that its just having quality tools I can trust not to slip off or break, fucking up by hands more then I already do.

I agree. Everything at work I could find with my eyes closed. At home? I spend too much time searching.

I agree. Everything at work I could find with my eyes closed. At home? I spend too much time searching.

What kind of organizers do you use? Looking for wrench and socket organizers. Most of my sockets have come in blow mold cases and I really like socket rails so i may just buy a bunch of gearwrench ones but it adds up quick. The harbor freight ones are too long and flimsy for me.

Honestly I use the harbor freight ones or the ones the snap on sockets come in

The harbor freight ones do break over time but they work great.

Wrenches I use Cornwell wrench organizers they slip In and out easier than others I've tried.

Honestly I use the harbor freight ones or the ones the snap on sockets come in

The harbor freight ones do break over time but they work great.

Wrenches I use Cornwell wrench organizers they slip In and out easier than others I've tried.

+1, my snap on sockets stay in their magnetic bases, sizes I need often get flipped over for easy selecting. Common adapters and sockets without a home go on a strong magnetic strip (kind of strong where you wont get it off a flat magnetic surface without a prybar).

I have been getting a great deal on the magnetic strips that I have, because my snap on dealer has tons of them laying around. They are off their old truck, the strips that hold tools to the ceiling.

I absolutely love my 3/8 impact swivels, select sizes of magnetic sockets and my milwaukee 1/4 inch electric ratchet.

I'm very partial to craftsman stuff as that is what I grew up using and that is the make of almost all the tools my dad left me when he retired. He gave me a real nice & old set of fine tooth ratchets that I've beat the hell out of almost every weekend for the past few years.

Today I was thinking about the "most important tool" as I was working on a fire truck...... then I grabbed my BFH, and my Streamlight and decided those are most important. Lol. The streamlight flashlight is a single led flash light with a piggyback charger. Best light I have ever bought. 120$ +/- it's lasted 8 years, bought one for the house too.

Replace the bolts in the stress areas w/ Grade 8 Bolts ASAP. Trust me on that one!

:dumb:

KillJoy

I have the 12ton and the bolt heads are stamped '8.8 SFC'.... So are you saying they aren't grade 8? or that they are Junk grade 8?

I have the 12ton and the bolt heads are stamped '8.8 SFC'.... So are you saying they aren't grade 8? or that they are Junk grade 8?

I had the 12 Ton A Frame as well....... while in use, one of the top bolts sheared in half and shot across the garage.

YMMV....

KillJoy

Today I realized a few more I love.

Cornwell Disc pad separator..

P/N LS29100

It'll cost you around $75 online. Depends on your tool guy what you'd pay.

Likely overkill for me, but better to much than to little. Does everything from single piston to six piston calipers. I get a lot of brake jobs and this really puts me on the plus side of things.

http://i.imgur.com/VkXGHC1.png

I also am gonna buy a Cornwell "strip out" socket set this coming Monday. I have a feeling that will become my new favorite.

Another of my favorites is an mix of vice grips and pliers. I'll have to figure out where I got it from tomorrow and post up some pictures. Comes handy when doing alignments and the alignment software tells you the wrong size wrench for the adjustments. Lets you only take a wrench with you to bust the end nut loose. Another one of those things that sounds overkill but saves you running to and from the box. Also a BFH is nice for just about anything. A dead blow rubber hammer/mallot/whatever you wanna call it is nice. SUV's and trucks with more than 5 lugs on them like to rust up badly and basically weld themselves to the hubs. A few good whacks and they come right off.

Editing this after seeing Pat's air tool post.

I bought this gun when I took my new job, had my doubts but figured for $100 or so and a 1 year 3 month warranty, why not. So far it is amazing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/impact-wrenches/12-in-professional-air-impact-wrench-68424.html

Today I realized a few more I love.

I bought this gun when I took my new job, had my doubts but figured for $100 or so and a 1 year 3 month warranty, why not. So far it is amazing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/impact-wrenches/12-in-professional-air-impact-wrench-68424.html

I have that same impact and the 3/8" they make with around the same torque rating. Been working flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...
Let me know how it turns out. Are you buying the red one in the same set as the impact?

If you meant the 1/2" impact, yes.

Bought this and the PZW2 today. Did two alignments in half the time. These things kick ass.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?search=true&item_ID=640879&PartNo=PWZ1&group_id=681237&supersede=&store=snapon-store&tool=all

http://i.imgur.com/aeVMnQh.jpg

I've gone through a couple junk 3/8" Craftsman ratchets. What should I get for normal home garage use that's high tooth count, and in a lower price bracket than Snap-On, that I can also order online or buy in a store? I don't work in a shop, so no tool trucks for me.

I bought a "Pittsburgh pro" 3/8" drive ratchet in addition to my existing Mac tools ratchets. It has a high tooth count, padded handle so you don't feel like you are breaking your wrist when you hit it and I use it a lot on smaller jobs. The downfall is that it is very short, so if you get something that is really sunk in I have a feeling it will either bust or just not provide enough leverage. Works awesome for oil changes and brake jobs though.

I've gone through a couple junk 3/8" Craftsman ratchets. What should I get for normal home garage use that's high tooth count, and in a lower price bracket than Snap-On, that I can also order online or buy in a store? I don't work in a shop, so no tool trucks for me.

Scour craigslist for something used with a lifetime warranty. I have a couple of "toothless" MAC ratchets that have been pretty awesome, but haven't seen any real abuse. That is what bigger tools are for anyways.

a tool I use a lot these days is an electric angle grinder. $10 harbor freight version too. I've used the crap out of that the last 6 months it seems. A tool I really want to get is a 1/2" cordless impact. I just can't come off the money for a good one. At some point though I'm going to break down and get one. I've used my buddies a couple of times and that thing would be nice to have around all the time.

a tool I use a lot these days is an electric angle grinder. $10 harbor freight version too. I've used the crap out of that the last 6 months it seems. A tool I really want to get is a 1/2" cordless impact. I just can't come off the money for a good one. At some point though I'm going to break down and get one. I've used my buddies a couple of times and that thing would be nice to have around all the time.

I've got a great neck from AutoZone I use for hubcaps, only does like 200 ft/lbs, but is 24 volts. I feel like its going to break in half if I use it on taking wheels off though.

Gearwrench 84 tooth or their xp120 line. Can find 84 tooth at advanced.

http://www.trident-supply.com/GearWrench_3_8_Drive_120XP_Full_Polish_Teardrop_p/329-81211p.htm

http://www.trident-supply.com/GearWrench_Two_Piece_Cushion_Grip_Ratchet_Set_p/329-81204p.htm