New-to-Me DD

Tripleskate

Will be picking up a new beater for commuting. Have done a deal on this one:

http://images.craigslist.org/00x0x_xmzGtnUfzB_600x450.jpg

Excuse the photo, it was taken with a potato by the previous owner.

2002 Saturn SL 5MT. Looking around on line, other than burning some oil between changes (it is an older car), there seem to be a TON of these cars out there with 200,000+ miles. The car has had a few more recent (within the past year) services done, including battery, starter, and water pump.

Anything I should really be on the look out for?

Edited by Tripleskate

They all burn oil like crazy, DOHC and SOHC doesn't change the matter, they're basically identical other than the head. Super easy to work on. Ever have any questions you can PM me, I worked as a Saturn cert tech for years, basically know those cars like the back of my hand.

if that's true expect to need a new clutch, with those I believe the swap isn't bad but kinda a pain because you are supposed to drop the sub frame.

Manual trans can be turned and pulled out of the top, super easy job.

I've owned three of them over the past many, many years; a 95, a 99, and an 01. The DOHCs were always oil burners, but the SOHC wasn't. Luck of the draw, I suppose. Maybe the twin-cams are more prone to oil usage because they have another 1000 RPMs of rev range.

I took them all to well over 150,000 miles, all still on the original clutch when I sold or traded them in.

They are so crazy cheap to own and operate, and so crazy easy to work on. They really are fantastic daily drivers.

Ill agree had a 1997 sl1 burnt a quart every 700 miles but spun like a top. Had 240k miles on mine with original clutch lolz. Sold it with clutch on its last leg. I have a soft spot for these cars and wouldnt mind another for a DD.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this up. The Owner of the Saturn, and I just couldn't get things squared away in the end. So, I did pretty much a complete 180 in terms of vehicle choices, and bought this last night:

20140501_220035.jpg

20140501_195404.jpg

It's beat up, dirt cheap, and hilariously fun.

I had an early 90's SL2 (I think?), the little 4 door with the DOHC through most of college. Pretty much an indestructible car and surprisingly fun.

That's great, Jesse. Thanks for your comment because it's incredibly pertinent given his ACTUAL daily purchase. :lol:

I'd never consider owning such a car. I'd have to drive with the top down year round just to fit in it.

If I could fit though I'd consider it. Cheap cars with good economy and decent reliability. Stock form at autox they seem to perform very well

Looks like it's in good condition to me, enjoy!

Edited by Geeesammy