WWCRD: Overhaulin'

Farkas

So let's say you have a car like this '67 Ford Fairlane GTA and it's your absolute dream car. You've had it for countless years and you've spend hundreds of hours building it and thousands upon thousands of dollars to make itexactly the way you always imagined your dream Fairlane would be.

Here's the curveball... Chip Foose somehow gets his hands on it, puts some awful wheels on it, changes the color, rips apart your pristine original interior for door cards with guitar patterns and etc..

They reveal your car- Do you think you'd be angry on camera, or would you be happy about it?

I'm only using this car as an example because this guy was incredibly protective of his car, but imagine if this was your prized posession... your car you couldn't imagine being any other way.

10151872_836409289707234_642790509_n.jpg?oh=0977d2f6ea9b3761a7772784473fd899&oe=53E2AA77

Sketch of plans:

10006977_839291029419060_5514640588661265815_n.jpg?oh=70766bd95eadcc571d14aa825c9d57a4&oe=53D0B351

Final outcome:

1538659_838822859465877_9161415510390026262_n.jpg

WWCRD?

Got a video? Why did they "steal" the car from him if it was already really nice? I mean, don't they usually "steal" junk and build it up?

Anyways, I'd be fucking pissed on camera.. I don't care who's watching.

I usually don't watch this show, but if I spent all that time building a car how I wanted it and then got a surprise that Chip Foose redid my car with some dumb stereo and wheels, I think I'd probably have a fit.

I was just thinking how many of these owners are actually happy with their surprise.

You would need to be mad at the "insiders" not Chip or those rebuilding.

I'd hope your family/significant other would know what you would want, if anything.

If not, you can start over from the incredible base they provided you…

I'd be thrilled, then spend a few $ tailoring it to my tastes from there.

I'd hope your family/significant other would know what you would want, if anything.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying I'd be mad at Chip by any means because he and his team just do the hard work, but I imagine some guy having his car setup on the show by his wife who still thinks underbody glow lights and some awful flip-flop paint are still cool, when all the guy wanted was car to be 100% bone stock original in every aspect, down to original paint and unrestored body.

I feel like this show would be a true collectors nightmare, am I wrong?

Darn shame, that car looks (from that picture, at least) much better originally, then afterward. Guitar-style door cards? Ew.

here's the preview from their facebook page:

You can see the car and the designs and stuff of the interior

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=837014269646736&set=vb.472732139408286&type=2&theater

here's the preview from their facebook page:

You can see the car and the designs and stuff of the interior

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=837014269646736&set=vb.472732139408286&type=2&theater

Doesn't look too bad, actually. Not sold on the wheels still though, lol

This.

I watch it whenever it's on, and honestly it seems like a majority of the owners are either just regular guys who bought a "cool old car" and don't know how to fix it up, or already have really tacky taste to begin with, so they genuinely like the big wheels and two tone paint.

I'm confident that I've told my wife enough times how I'd like my Dart to eventually be that she wouldn't let it get out of hand. If so, like Aaron said, they redo them top to bottom and in a case of a popular car with a big aftermarket they usually do a nice suspension/brake setup etc. so if it was awful, I'd play it up for the cameras and then talk to Chip about different wheels or paint or whatever.

There was an episode recently that was a guy with a 78-79 Monte Carlo with an LS swap. The insider said he was planning on selling his prized daily (a 99-02 Silverado with custom paint and lowered on big wheels) to fund the rest of the Monte Carlo. Chip went to his house, said it was obvious he had done a lot of quality work to the Monte Carlo and was close to finishing it, so they did a 2014 Impala for him to replace the Silverado. It was typical Chip style and he gave the insider a choice of like 4 wheels, she picked some terrible ones, then after the big reveal and all that, Chip brought the guy back to the shop and showed him some wheels he had MHT cut that weren't finished in time. The guy was more ecstatic about changing those wheels than he was when they gave him the car, lmao.

If it's a "finished" car, I'd be upset. But if it's a project that's been unfinished for years and I haven't touched it in a while, then I'd be psyched. If the end result is something I like, awesome. If it's something I don't, I'll sell it.

I saw that episode. I'm definitely no expert on this classic, but if you look at the striping on it before it was Foos'd, it seems a bit wonky vs. the OEM location. He might have spent some time getting it close to where he wanted it, but it might not have been exactly how he wanted or his final plans for it. I definitely do not like the decision on the Foose wheels or the interior guitar theme, but most of the the modifications made where definitely in the right direction. The deep dished wheels depicted in the draft (rendering) seem to fit the vehicle much better than the ones actually installed.

He didn't look too unhappy

You should learn to read.

I'm saying what if you hypothetically had a car you had exactly how you wanted, and it got "overhauled" into something the opposite direction you ever intended.

I just used that episode as an example, even though he seemed surprised. The car appeared really nice prior, and I wondered how many people actually are happy.

Edited by Farkas

I'd be totally pissed that the value of my pride and joy went up exponentially...

for me it wouldn't be about the car's worth.....the first thing I would do is take those ghetto wheels off there. I don't understand the whole huge ghetto wheel thing to begin with. I'd rather have a functional wheel.

I'd be totally pissed that the value of my pride and joy went up exponentially...

How true is this statement, though?

Do Chip Foose cars really demand that much value in respect to a perfect unrestored, matching numbers car in pristine condition?

I have a hard time believing a Foose'd car would pull the same value at an auction like Barrett-Jackson, than an all original and mint condition example. In my opinion, it's more or less being ruined.