Mustang Secret

Tindall2006

Ford says it’s only intended for use at racetracks – so no hijinks in the High School parking lot -- but points out that you’ll void your warranty if you race your car.

Very cool of them to add that from the factory, but stupid that it voids your warranty (assuming you use it the legal way)

This kind of move isn't surprising especially for Ford; Nissan did it with the GTR launch control. The BOSS 302 Laguna Seca came with a "trunk kit" and the aerodynamic-related parts (larger splitter, shovel head trans air scoop, brake-cooling ducts) in it would void the warranty if MERELY INSTALLED; no proof of competition-use needed.

Build a Muscle Car but void the warranty if you race it?

They might have a difficult time enforcing such a rule in court. The burden of proof would be on them that the owner was actually racing and racing that exact car. Not sure they would want to engage in such a law suite. Me smells settlement at some point.

This has been all over FB for the last few days. It irritates me that manufacturers make all these neat features then say they will void your warranty if you use them. Good marketing on their part because people will still buy them, but companies should really stand behind their product, especially when their motto is "Built Ford Tough." This isn't to rag on just Ford though; Mitsubishi and Nissan to name a few are just as guilty.

They might have a difficult time enforcing such a rule in court. The burden of proof would be on them that the owner was actually racing and racing that exact car. Not sure they would want to engage in such a law suite. Me smells settlement at some point.

I'm sure it sets a code in the ECU if the feature has been activated. In their defense, it's hard to guarantee that on 100% of surfaces that the rear end will survive unlimited number of burnouts and no wheel hop.

Then again, they were assholes to a friend of mine with a F150 when the they broke several spark plugs during routine maintenance, so it wouldn't surprise me if they just checked the ECU and told you to fuck off.

FWIW, the BMW M3 and M4 supposedly have the same feature.

I'm sure it sets a code in the ECU if the feature has been activated. In their defense, it's hard to guarantee that on 100% of surfaces that the rear end will survive unlimited number of burnouts and no wheel hop.

Do they void the warranty for simply using it? Because if the specify racing only then how are they going to prove where I used it. I also don't think they will legally be able to void the entire warranty. Only the parts that such abuse impacts. No different than trying to say using the wrong oil impacts the warranty on the rest of your car.

From Ford:

Brian Cotter, global Mustang communications coordinator, wrote via email, "If you are using this feature in an actual race (ex. at a drag strip vs. your neighbor's Camaro) this would create a problem from a warranty standpoint."

Cotter further explained, "[T]here is nothing wrong with testing the capabilities of the Mustang in a non-race environment. You could, for instance, test your quarter-mile time on a closed-course. This would be permissible because you aren't competing against any other car OR against a predetermined time, etc."

http://jalopnik.com/use-the-2015-mustangs-burnout-control-to-race-lose-you-1567209420

Do they void the warranty for simply using it? Because if the specify racing only then how are they going to prove where I used it. I also don't think they will legally be able to void the entire warranty. Only the parts that such abuse impacts. No different than trying to say using the wrong oil impacts the warranty on the rest of your car.

We already know they track your cars GPS position. It would be simple for them to log the location you activated the feature.

From Ford:

Brian Cotter, global Mustang communications coordinator, wrote via email, "If you are using this feature in an actual race (ex. at a drag strip vs. your neighbor's Camaro) this would create a problem from a warranty standpoint."

Cotter further explained, "[T]here is nothing wrong with testing the capabilities of the Mustang in a non-race environment. You could, for instance, test your quarter-mile time on a closed-course. This would be permissible because you aren't competing against any other car OR against a predetermined time, etc."

http://jalopnik.com/use-the-2015-mustangs-burnout-control-to-race-lose-you-1567209420

Translation....tell them you were playing around by yourself on a country road.