97 Expedition spark plug cross threaded

Otis Nice

So I ran into a prob with the Expedition I bought off Paul. 7 spark plugs were replaced fine. 8th one? Last person to put it in cross threaded it and jacked up the threads (not blaming Paul or saying it was him or anyone else here). Is there any simple solution or am I screwed by the grand car boombahs again?

So far the truck has been a breeze to work on. Found the leak in the brake line and replaced it easily. New headlights and hood latch were of course a piece of cake. Now I'm kind of stuck.

It's a 5.4L btw.

Have you searched for an appropriate heli-coil yet?

Starting to now. I've never had to deal with anything like this. It's all new to me. Just now seeing how they work.

Gonna be a pain to have to pull the head on this thing.

Thanks for the info Cordell. I'll keep reading and see if this is something I can handle myself or not.

Did you get the old plug out and know for sure the threads in the block are bad? Heli cool is probably the best fix unless you get someone really good to clean up the threads and get all the metal shavings out

Actually a buddy of mine who owns a mobile auto repair business did. Said it was a pain to get out and couldn't get the new one in. Once he scoped it he knew why.

Sounds like you should try a thread chaser first. Not sure if you can find one long enough for those Ford heads though, I don't have much first hand experience working on those.

How would you keep metal shavings from getting into the bore? Grease up the Chase?

KillJoy

Sounds like you should try a thread chaser first. Not sure if you can find one long enough for those Ford heads though, I don't have much first hand experience working on those.

I believe that was attempted to no avail. He's at his other job right now and I was at the gym when he called so this is all the info I have. I know he said they were going to try it.

How would you keep metal shavings from getting into the bore? Grease up the Chase?

KillJoy

Well you're bound to get some in there regardless, grease certainly helps and I'd grease it, but you blow it out when you're done and you just have to cross your fingers. These situations suck.

FWIW, I believe I have heard that in order to get the heads off of an Expedition, you have to pull the motor. At least that's what I heard when I was considering replacing the head gaskets on my dads old 5.4 Expedition (his was 4x4 though).

Lets hope I don't have to pull it.

5.4 was known to pull threads out of head. Are you sure it was cross threaded?

They make repair kits for this specific problem.

Found this one.

Like it didn't come out it broke off in the motor? They are known for that. They make a few different tools to get them out.

Yup. Apparently. I've got to get over there this weekend and have a look.

Dad actually had the same happen on his '07 F150 so this is nothing new to him. He didn't have the time then so the stealership fixed it for $110. We'll see whats up.

Thanks for all the help and info guys.

5.4 was known to pull threads out of head. Are you sure it was cross threaded?

They make repair kits for this specific problem.

THIS. These engines with their long spark plugs are known for pulling the threads out of the heads. Seems they get carboned up, then drag the threads out somehow. There is a kit made just for this problem. If you google 5.4 spark plug thread repair, you will find all sorts of info. The kit is for doing the job in the vehicle.

http://www.timesert.com/html/bigsert_sparkplug.html

Good Luck!

Were these the motors that were known for shooting plugs out?

The repair kit must not be to bad, because I think I remember reading about people that would carry them as a spare to repair when needed on the side of the road.

The 5.4's that are known for breaking the tip off in the head is the 3 valve from 06-08. I have the tool for removing the broken piece of the spark plug on those heads. I also have the repair kit for fixing the 2 valve heads when the spark plug blows out of the head.

The 5.4's that are known for breaking the tip off in the head is the 3 valve from 06-08. I have the tool for removing the broken piece of the spark plug on those heads. I also have the repair kit for fixing the 2 valve heads when the spark plug blows out of the head.

Is this something you have experience with I take it? Would you be interested in helping me out? PM me a price if you'd like.

As of now I'm taking it in monday to the stealership that got the broken plug out of dads '07 F150.

THIS. These engines with their long spark plugs are known for pulling the threads out of the heads. Seems they get carboned up, then drag the threads out somehow. There is a kit made just for this problem. If you google 5.4 spark plug thread repair, you will find all sorts of info. The kit is for doing the job in the vehicle.

http://www.timesert.com/html/bigsert_sparkplug.html

Good Luck!

Time Sert used to be the Ford approved go to tool, now it is Lock-N-Stitch.

I have a Time Sert kit as I had 4 modular motors at the time I bought it. Not cheap, easy to operate, and, I heard someone telling of Autozone or NAPA loaning the tool out, you would be on the hook for the inserts.

Long story short stealership found a tool broken off so they couldn't extract the (supposedly) broken spark plug. My buddy wanted to go check it out for himself since his mechanic said/showed he didn't have any broken tools. Sure enough, some tool is broken off down there. Buddy is paying for repairs 100% up to replacing the entire engine if need be.

Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys. First 5.4L I've owned myself and I've learned a lot.