Switching plates to new vehicle

cstmg8

My Girl just picked up a new vehicle, and the dealership switched the plates over. They had her sign something, I'm guessing like a 30 day "tag". Does she still need to go to the bmv and get the plates switched over?

My Girl just picked up a new vehicle, and the dealership switched the plates over. They had her sign something, I'm guessing like a 30 day "tag". Does she still need to go to the bmv and get the plates switched over?

No. if the dealer said they will handle the transfer you will receive your new registration for the vehicle when they mail it.

I sent you a PM about the 4runner...call me.

tom

No. if the dealer said they will handle the transfer you will receive your new registration for the vehicle when they mail it.

I sent you a PM about the 4runner...call me.

tom

That is incorrect, the dealer does not handle anything, you will get a memorandum of title in the mail in 2 to 3 weeks, you need to take that and your current registration and drivers license to the BMV and get it transferred.

I stopped a guy with mirrored window tint in a Camaro one day, his plates came back to a Lincoln Town Car, between that and his window rolled down about 8 inches and his and his passengers hands in their laps along with refusal to show their hands, he now knows what it's like to have a pistol screwed into his ear. He still had to get his plates transferred, after he got his car out of impound. This guy gave me the same story, dealer said that they transferred the plates, they did, just not the registration.

I would recommend taking care of the transfer

That is incorrect, the dealer does not handle anything, you will get a memorandum of title in the mail in 2 to 3 weeks, you need to take that and your current registration and drivers license to the BMV and get it transferred.

I stopped a guy with mirrored window tint in a Camaro one day, his plates came back to a Lincoln Town Car, between that and his window rolled down about 8 inches and his and his passengers hands in their laps along with refusal to show their hands, he now knows what it's like to have a pistol screwed into his ear. He still had to get his plates transferred, after he got his car out of impound. This guy gave me the same story, dealer said that they transferred the plates, they did, just not the registration.

Sounds like we are in a similar line of work so I will go easy on you. If the dealer is "transferring" registrations, when you receive your new registration it will have a memo title attached. Take notice on the new registration it will have your current info with the new vehicle info and you are good to go.

Tom

I was in the bmv a few weeks ago and overheard the ckerk tell someone they could switch the plates to the new vehicle and had 30 days to inform the bmv.

Also correct. In his case the dealership is nice enough to do their due diligence and save him the hassle of a trip to the bmv.

Tom

Sounds like we are in a similar line of work so I will go easy on you. If the dealer is "transferring" registrations, when you receive your new registration it will have a memo title attached. Take notice on the new registration it will have your current info with the new vehicle info and you are good to go.

Tom

I've bought a lot of cars, never once had a dealer transfer the registration, maybe it is a thing that is done in Columbus, certainly not the Dayton area.

OP also says that the plates were just switched over, no mention of the registration.

I've bought a lot of cars, never once had a dealer transfer the registration, maybe it is a thing that is done in Columbus, certainly not the Dayton area.

OP also says that the plates were just switched over, no mention of the registration.

As long as you can produce the current registration and you can pay the dealer the $4.50 bmv transfer fee they can and will do it.

Tom

This is correct as far as how Lima dealers

The purchaser has to transfer plates.

Ohio law gives you 30 days to do so.

The only plate registration that gets handled for you in the state of Ohio is for a lease.

In a purchase situation the dealer handles the TITLE work for you, not the registration.

What you will receive is a title, or memorandum title. Interested in why you disagree with this?

From Ohio DMV:

You are responsible for completing your own vehicle registration in Ohio, regardless of whether you are moving to the state, purchasing a new car from a dealership, or buying/receiving a vehicle from a private party.

New residents must obtain an Ohio vehicle title before registering.

Car dealerships must provide you with the title within 30 days of purchase.

If you are purchasing the vehicle from a private party, the seller of the vehicle is required to give you the title at the time of purchase. Make sure the title transfer is correctly documented.

http://www.dmv.org/oh-ohio/car-registration.php

I will eat crow on this one.

I made a couple calls, and found out how they are doing it.

It can be done.

Most guys would never admit they are wrong. Jordan is a stand up guy, further proof you should buy cars from him. Bottom line for anyone still trying to figure out what's right and what's wrong.

Dealers can and will transfer registrations/plates however it is always in your best interest as a consumer to verify your new registration has all of your correct info on it.

Tom

The purchaser has to transfer plates.

Ohio law gives you 30 days to do so.

The only plate registration that gets handled for you in the state of Ohio is for a lease.

In a purchase situation the dealer handles the TITLE work for you, not the registration.

What you will receive is a title, or memorandum title. Interested in why you disagree with this?

From Ohio DMV:

http://www.dmv.org/oh-ohio/car-registration.php

I think what the DMV is saying here is that ultimately you are responsible for your vehicles registration. The dealership is allowed to do it for you but if you get pulled over and it hasn't been done you are the one that is going to get the ticket because it was your responsibility to ensure that it had been properly taken care of.

Most guys would never admit they are wrong. Jordan is a stand up guy, further proof you should buy cars from him. Bottom line for anyone still trying to figure out what's right and what's wrong.

Dealers can and will transfer registrations/plates however it is always in your best interest as a consumer to verify your new registration has all of your correct info on it.

Tom

I appreciate that Tom.

I seriously blew a gasket on my local DMV contact for misinforming me. (Not the first time)

When I took it to the state level seeking answers I was explained the process, and sent the necessary forms.

There is one catch. Current Ohio code does not allow the dealer to pass on any off the costs of the service.

So it goes like this:

Customer signs an additional form.

Dealer has to fill out a few additional papers (and notarize)

Dealer has to physically send someone to wait inline at DMV to process each registration (Ohio does not do 3rd party E-regs yet)

Dealer has to pay the transfer fee. (and eat the additional man hours)

I know it does not sound like much, but I ran some quick math and estimate total additional cost per deal at ~$25. Which again, doesn't sound like much... but it would cost me an additional $18,000 annually. On a small store that runs on thin margins it's definitely something that will take serious consideration.

According to the contact I made at the state level, less than .1% of registrations are handled this way. So basically... One out of every Thousand transactions.

I can see high line stores making enough margin to justify it.

With my current knowledge, I'm not saying I won't do it, and I'm not saying I will. It is going to take some serious conversation, and number crunching.

I am glad I came across this thread though, and enough people had experienced it to make me question my local DMV and find out the truth.

I think what the DMV is saying here is that ultimately you are responsible for your vehicles registration. The dealership is allowed to do it for you but if you get pulled over and it hasn't been done you are the one that is going to get the ticket because it was your responsibility to ensure that it had been properly taken care of.

Agreed.

Thanks Tom and Jordan for all the info/help. I'll be sure to look over what comes in the mail.

Jordan was also very willing to help us in the search, Hayley was just very specific about what she wanted, and nothing turned up. I'll definitely be in touch for my next purchase..... After toms forerunner that is lol.......... Just how much would you give on trade for a 97 forerunner with a blown head gasket.....j/k