Renewing CCW for Ohio

Mojoe

Feel free to add to this as you have an experience that may help others.

I will check it from time to time for change of procedures or policies.

The process as of March 27, 2013 is a very simple process. Your current valid, expired, or any other previously issued license that has not been revoked is proof that at one time you have been issued a competency certificate. Follow the following steps and you will be able to renew your concealed handgun license in Ohio.

1. Research the appointment method for the county you plan on applying in.

2. Complete the Ohio Concealed Handgun License Application

3. Obtain a passport photo for the application. This can be done on a home computer and printer as long as the size requirements are met.

4. At the appointment show the sheriff your current concealed handgun license, pay the fee of $50, and have a fingerprints and a photograph taken.

5. Wait for the sheriff to call stating your license is ready to be picked up.

You are not bound to renewing with the Sheriff's office that issued your current license. You may renew with the Sheriff that issued your license if you still live in that county or an adjoining county. Otherwise, you may also renew with any county adjoining the county in which you currently live in. The new Sheriff's Office will issue you a license that has a different license number than the one you currently hold since the numbers are unique to the issuing county.

This site will help you.

http://www.ohioccw.org/wiki/Renew_an_Ohio_concealed_handgun_license

Edited by Mojoe

• 1 month later...

Franklin County seems less than helpful and almost spiteful about the renewals. My brother in law called, made an appointment and showed up 15 minutes before the appointment. He got reamed out for not having an appointment (it wasn't in the book). Later I made an appointment to renew my license and the day before the appointment they called to confirm the appointment for 30 minutes before it was actually scheduled. I assume had I gone in at the correct time I would have gotten reamed for being 30 minutes late. I cancelled my appointment and went out to London and dealt with Madison County. No appointment, no hassle, went smooth as silk.

Oh, and mine was lapsed and no questions were asked.

Just to give a horror story I had a student go to Fairfield and they were told that my cert was for a 10 hr class and that I had to give them a diff cert... as an FYI there is no other cert. so now I give an affidavit with the same NRA instructor number on it stating that they took a 12 hour course and write 12 hr on the cert... such a pain but I have to do it.

Just to give a horror story I had a student go to Fairfield and they were told that my cert was for a 10 hr class and that I had to give them a diff cert... as an FYI there is no other cert. so now I give an affidavit with the same NRA instructor number on it stating that they took a 12 hour course and write 12 hr on the cert... such a pain but I have to do it.

I live in Fairfield County but won't deal with them at all for my CHL. They are a pain in the ass.

• 1 year later...

1. Research the appointment method for the county you plan on applying in.

2. Complete the Ohio Concealed Handgun License Application

3. Obtain a passport photo for the application. This can be done on a home computer and printer as long as the size requirements are met.

4. At the appointment show the sheriff your current concealed handgun license, pay the fee of $50, and have a fingerprints and a photograph taken.

5. Wait for the sheriff to call stating your license is ready to be picked up.

Just renewed in Pickaway County, steps were exactly as above. Took nearly two months to get an appointment. Only took two days for them to have my new license ready.

• 3 months later...
Franklin County seems to have an online option now to schedule an appointment. Their site says that if you're not renewing from a different county you don't need to obtain a new passport photo. Your current CHL and another form of ID are accepted. Can anyone verify this?

Franklin County seems to have an online option now to schedule an appointment. Their site says that if you're not renewing from a different county you don't need to obtain a new passport photo. Your current CHL and another form of ID are accepted. Can anyone verify this?

I also heard that they can/will renew if it has expired, any input on this?

Tom

• 2 months later...
Maybe someone has posted but can you update at any time or do you have to be x amount of days before you expire? I need to change my address and figured I would just renew under the new nics check early than to get an address change then renew later.

I've been waiting 3 weeks for my renewal and haven't heard anything yet. My wife and father in law went to renew theirs as well and nobody has heard a thing. I may call Wed and inquire.

Each county is a little different on processing time. I would follow up with the Sheriff's office with the approach, "is there anything more you need from me, it has been a few weeks". When I lived out in Preble county, not far from you, I renewed there and it took quite a while.

• 1 year later...

Renewal seems to be getting easier. I did mine in Licking county this morning and it was smooth.

Things to know:

You have a 30 day grace period for renewal.

You can renew in a neighboring county to where you reside. EX. Live in Franklin Co and work in Newark, you can go to Licking County Sheriff for renewal.

Call and make appointment with Sheriff's office and ask what they want you to bring in. $50 cash, Drivers Lic and old CCW card were all they wanted.

The ORC says you have to fill out a application. However, all I had to do was answer some "yes" and "no" form. Basically asking if my eligibility to have a gun and renew my CCW has changed since your were last issued your CCW.

They re-finger print you.

They took my picture there, so wear something super cool.

I was out of there in less than 20 minutes, and they said I'd get the new card in the mail.

Remember, these things are a little different from county to county. One county may not have the budget to have a camera set up with the computer, decide they want the full application updated. Call ahead and be sure you know what you need so you don't waste your time or theirs.

• 3 years later...

Update to this topic: As of December 2020, Fairfield county sheriff is running 30+ days out and have a wait list. I added myself to the wait list and was called within a week for an appointment the following month. They are allowing a grace period for renewals, but I wanted to get mine renewed prior to the actual expiration. I have heard other counties have no wait, but I did not confirm.

Process has not changed. Print/complete the renewal form, bring old CCW license, SS card, drivers license, and $50 cash. No photo required for renewal.

Anyone ..as I'm getting older my fingerprints are becoming harder and harder to get.

Last year I renewed my license, in madison county, and took several times along with cleaning my hands and machine several times. I was told by the deputy the older you get the thinner your skin get hence fingerprints become harder to record.

So now to my question, what happens if at some point they can't get my fingerprints to record??

They are fast and nice there!

• Casper unpinned this topic