22 mile hour winds too windy to ride?

DollFace

Okay, so I want to ride my bike to work tomorrow. Just got it last Saturday, and am going to get a feel of it tonight. But, it is supposed to be windy on my ride home tomorrow between 3 and 5...like 22 mile hour winds. Is that too windy, especially for an inexperience rider like me?

That's what I did when I rode my ninja to Columbus for the spring meet. Made me a little nervous. But now I have a totally different bike. So, not sure what to expect. Not to mention, my speed will be slower cause I will be on 55 mile hour roads, so that should help. I dunno....thanks for posting back. That makes me feel better.

Make no mistake.. I check your profile every time I log on. I'm waiting for you to post some 'action shots.' You know what I'm talking about!! :p

It is up to you about the wind. If you feel like it might be a bit much then don't ride. Of course' date=' now's just as good a time to learn as any.[/quote']

Unsure of what action shots are. Will hopefully have some pics of me on my bike soon, but that's about as much action as this site is going to get from me :D

We were riding on 36/37 today and it sucked!!! I hate riding in the wind! Last year in Daytona the day of the race was crazy windy. I chickened out and drove to the race instead. But hey, the race was delayed because of the wind. If the pros won't ride in it, neither will I!

I think this might be like the third time this week that I have referenced my awkward height/weight LOL but im 6'3" and like 150 lbs so needless to say I catch alot of wind. I just kinda lean into it... eventually you will get used to it but just slow down a little to start and you will be A OK :)

so how did it go

So, I rode the 50 miles to Dayton and back for work yesterday. Can only say it was interesting. Wind was not bad in the morning, caught a couple of gusts, but not too bad. Since it was only my second day riding my new bike a couple other stupid things happend along the way. While going through Mechanicsburg, I decided to try and adjust my mirror while I was still rolling. Ummm, yeah lesson learned. My whole front end was swerving. I looked like a total dork :lol:. Then when I finally made it to Fairborn I had to make that "should I try and make it through this yellow light" decision. Oh yeeeeaaah. So, I hit both the front and back brakes trying to stop at the red light and my back end started to slide out from under me. So, I put my left foot down and gassed it through the red light. Not to self: Just mash it. :lol:

On the way home the wind was pretty crazy. I had to get on the freeway for a little while, there is no way around it. The rest of the ride was on St Rt 4, so that wasn't so bad. But, the direction of the wind was changing all the time. It would hit me from the east and swirl around and come back up behind me it seemed. It was pretty scary, but I got home okay. Apparently it was raining in Raymod near where I live, but I am thankful it didn't start while I was out. All in all, an eventful ride. I learned a lot. I feel my skills have improved :).

the key to wind, as with many other things in motorcycling, is to stay calm, smooth and loose.

once you start tensing up, the bike isnt going to do what you want it to do and then its all downhill from there.

you tell the bike what to do. not the other way around.

So, I hit both the front and back brakes trying to stop at the red light and my back end started to slide out from under me. So, I put my left foot down and gassed it through the red light. Not to self: Just mash it. :lol:

:).

Don't put so much on the rear next time. Just push it till it grabs the best w/out locking up and then add as much as you need on the front brake to prevent that. Mashing it on a bike though could get you killed, it's risky.:)

I'm riding 2up today to some places. It's gusting up to 25mph it says. Ouch!

Okay, so I want to ride my bike to work tomorrow. Just got it last Saturday, and am going to get a feel of it tonight. But, it is supposed to be windy on my ride home tomorrow between 3 and 5...like 22 mile hour winds. Is that too windy, especially for an inexperience rider like me?

Remember that wind storm that took down all the trees and power lines, and people were out of power for weeks, I road my supermoto bike in that. 70+mph winds. I was at honda parking lot for some stunt time, and the Honda Sign Plexiglass blew off the Sign and almost hit me. Thats when I decided to go home, my brother in law and I were dodging tree branches all the way home, Riding at a 45 degree angle, and we were going stright. So yeah, its do-able.