just got a smoker..tips, rubs, help?

TurboRust

So i'm always wanted one and finally got one. The main goal is to not spend anymore money at city bbq lol. So I would like to master chicken breast and pork shoulders. Which is easier to start with? I got the masterbuilt electric 30" 3 row and some mesquite and hickory chips to start..

ready! set! help?

Chickens are the easiest thing in the world to smoke, and is cheap enough to experiment on, on a regular basis.

I usually brine overnight in water, salt, garlic and onion, and then smoke at 225 for about 4-6 hours. My smoker is electric and takes small wood chips. I refill the chips every 30 mins for the first 2 hours.

This has worked well for us. :)

:thumbup:

KillJoy

If you are itching to get started, chicken is easy and relatively quick. I recently posted about it here: http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117802

Key to chicken is to brine it overnight or at minimum 8hrs. Go easy on the salt if you read up on various brines. If you put more than 1/2 cup per Gal. you'll regret it (IMO). I put the boneless breasts and quarters in a huge pot overnight and it was so juicy and tender...YUM!

The other key, especially on bone-in parts with skin on them is to cook at 275-300* I try to stay between the two. Cook too low and the skin will turn to rubber. It's okay if you do that by mistake as it will peel off just the same. Also, no water pan. Just use it or a foil pan to catch the drippings.

In the pics I showed you those were pretty good sized breasts and quarters and it took 2 to 2.5hrs.

Of course, you'll absolutely want to invest in a quality thermometer. The one built into your unit is decoration. Even mine is off by more than 25*. Get a good one off Amazon such as this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJX4QI/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Read up on your specific model at the Forums: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/92/smoking-supplies-equipment

it reccomends a cup of chips are you saying use less?

1 cup is good on temps of 225 or so. Any higher and I would suggest 1 to 2 Chunks (regardless of the manual saying chips). Use a cast iron pan or holder so the chunk smolders. Temp wise, if you go 250-300* such as with chicken chips will burn up in 30 minutes dumping way too much smoke at the onset. You don't want that. You want 1-2 chunks to smolder and when you're done they will be big lumps of black coal.

Too much smoke will cause the food to taste bitter due to creosote build upon the meat. You want thin-blue-smoke almost to not being able to actually see it. After the first 2-3 hrs you don't want to add any more wood.

Hickory is great for chicken and ribs. I used Apple on my last set of ribs and they were great too. However, I honestly like hickory the best.

maverick et732 ordered....

You'll love it. Look into a gasket for your doors too. This stuff works awesome. Helps hold in heat and keeps the smoke flow out the vents where it should vs leaking. The pic I linked to referencing thin blue smoke was before I put the seal on. Most noticeable on windy days and trying to maintain temps.

Pork butt is super easy and really hard to mess up. The best BBQ site out there is; http://www.bbq-brethren.com/ Check it out. Really nice, helpful people.

BBQ is addictive. I started with the same smoker you have, I "outgrew" it in about 2 months and have built several pits and have those and a nice offset stickburner. Its amazing how good of BBQ you can make and how quickly you realize what you buy at a restaurant is not good at all!!

ok i bought some hickory "chunks" today... they range in size from 1" to 4" square.. when you guys are speaking of chunks..whats an optimal size?

Those work. Use the larger ones for when you turn the temp up above 275* Smaller ones will work fine on 200-225 or so.