Bought an Edge

mrs.cos

So-- few weeks ago, my car was totalled and i am now on the search for a new car. Ive been driving a decked out AWD/Limited Ford Edge and quite frankly, im enjoying it.

My research on them hasnt turned up a lot, but ive seen some inclinations toward transmission problems? Do we have any ford mechanics here? Ive noticed that ALL the used ones seem to be right at the 25-30K mile mark at the dealerships, and its got me wondering a little bit.

Also, do we ahve any ford salesmen on the forums i can give my business to? I know exactly what im looking for and need to buy a car this week, as i wont have a car to drive as of next monday.

Yes transmission problems exist. A number of my team have them as company cars nd two have failed. Typically mid to higher mileage ones as in 60 to 80k. My Fusion Sport just had a $2k tranny repair too with only 60k on it. I was not expecting this from Ford. I really like the vehicles otherwise.

I know it's not about the Edge. However, add me to the list of bad tranny Fords.

My Fusions manual tranny took a Major dump right around 60k as well.

Thank goodness i had literally 90 miles of warranty left. Got it fixed for free after a little bickering and immediately traded it in on the Sonata. I loved the Fusion otherwise.

If it's the same underneath as a CX7 I'd run away, shitty wheel bearings, crappy 2.3 engine. If not then nevermind and to each his own, I'd rather have a CX5 if a crossover type thing is what you're after.

Get the sport model

Meh...over priced, heavy and not really sporty. Added lbs. negate the minor power gain. Looks pimp though. Ford needs to put the H.O. Ecoboost 4 or 6 in the new Fusion and call it a Sport Model and up the Edge Sport to the big Ecoboost.

You don't know much about Ford's, do you?

I knew some things going in as again, we have plenty in our fleet of co. vehicles, but wasn't expecting it in a sedan that's been nearly flawless since I've had it. We all get to choose what we want but I've seen a number of people move from Ford to a variety of imports, Caddy's and Buicks for domestics.

If I stay mid-size I'm looking at the:

Regal GS Turbo

Accord Sport V6

Fusion Platinum

etc...but must admit Ford is at the bottom this time.

If it's the same underneath as a CX7 I'd run away, shitty wheel bearings, crappy 2.3 engine. If not then nevermind and to each his own, I'd rather have a CX5 if a crossover type thing is what you're after.

Powertrain

Engine

2.0 L EcoBoost I4 (turbocharged gasoline)

3.5 L Duratec V6 (gasoline)

3.7 L Duratec V6 (gasoline)

I've never owned a Ford with an automatic trans for this very reason; all of mine have been manuals. Broke a diff in the Roush at 135,000 miles, but that's the only trans problem I've ever had, and it was just from abuse.

The wife's looking at an Edge or an Escape/Mariner right now, though, so it looks like I might be dealing with it sooner than later...

the reason you see alot for sale with those miles are company cars and leases. we had a 09 flex and now a 13 taurus that probably share the transmission with the edge.. am I worried. nope.. change the fluids at 30k and dont trust 100k fluids or lifetime fluids and dont worry about it.

every manufacturer has issues

honestly if you were worried about the transmission look into this from valvoline

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/VPS-0059-Terms-Conditions.pdf

have the fluid flushed every 30k have a lifetime warranty from them.

We're looking at 2012-13

You may want to look for a program car, Lincoln MKX or the Edge, generally have a 100k mile premium care warranty with them. Picked the wife up a 5k mile MKX in December, she loves it, I hate it, since I have to pay for it......;)

You may want to look for a program car, Lincoln MKX or the Edge, generally have a 100k mile premium care warranty with them. Picked the wife up a 5k mile MKX in December, she loves it, I hate it, since I have to pay for it......;)

I assume you mean a CPO car? If so, yes that's what we have been looking at.

• 2 weeks later...

basiclly purchased a 12 Edge Limited today. They are CPO'ing it for me, and getting it all prettied up and delivering it to us on Saturday.

Super excited. Im going out of town for the weekend, so i dont get to see it till i get back..

like shopping wasn't hard enough, now i know it will be here at my house waiting for me while i am gone!

Now i get to shop for a new grill to get rid of that blingy shit on the front. :devil:

http://i.imgur.com/BfhflbN.jpg

Certified Pre Owned. Ford will extend the warranty full and powertrain. they have a bullshit set olf things they have to do at the dealership to make it CPO (though they make it sound super exciting) but it comes down to getting hte car in almost new delivery condition (tires have to be within a certain wear and tear or they hvae to replace them, new wipers, new floor mats) All i care about is that the transmission and engine last a reasonable amount of time after i buy it.

all Dealers attached to a certain brand will do it for thier brand for a cost, whether you pay it or they do is up to them. Most places will have a few that are already done because when they brought in they wer already in the like new condition and it wont cost them much to CPO it.

Every Ford Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicle comes with:

• 12-month/12,000 mile comprehensive limited warranty coverage*

• Seven-year/100,000 mile powertrain limited warranty coverage*

• A 172-point vehicle inspection.

• CARFAX Vehicle History Report

Fords also includes roadside assistance and a few other goodies that are kinda nice.