Emergency/Disaster survival food kits

Snowflake

I'm looking into buying a 30 day supply emergency food survival kit for my family for the just in case scenario, and am wondering if any of you have ever purchased one.

If so, where did you buy from? There's tons of choices out there and they range from 5-20 year shelf life, and prices are all over the place. I like the idea of 20 year shelf life but is it worth it? Is it really going to be good after 20 years if stored properly?

Any recommendation or experiences?

Do you have storage space, or are you wanting one of the "30 day buckets"? Also, are you wanting 30 days of water?

KillJoy

Yeah I have plenty of storage in a basement and my wife gets a little ridiculous when it comes to stockpiling everyday necessities.

I'm looking at the buckets, kind of a grab and go type thing if needed. As far as water yeah gonna need that for sure or a way of purifying any water from wherever I can find it.

Bottled or canned water is the easiest. Kroger water is fine and lasts long. I stockpile the kroger carbonated water. Not for disaster reasons but because I drink 6 cans a day. It is $2.50 for a 12 pack and $2 when on sale. You can call the store and they can order you large amounts if you really want to. I've bought 25-30 12 packs at a time. They know me by name :)

If you want to store large amounts in your basement I suggest you get an Reverse Osmosis filter and store water in a rubber trash can. When you are ready to use the water boil it.

Check this out

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP128-Filtration-System/dp/B00FA2RLX2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1406575317&sr=1-1

I carry one of these with me when I leave the house along with a large water bottle. I really never worry about not having water if something bad happens. There are other options for cleaning water that are smaller.

Bottled or canned water is the easiest. Kroger water is fine and lasts long. I stockpile the kroger carbonated water. Not for disaster reasons but because I drink 6 cans a day. It is $2.50 for a 12 pack and $2 when on sale. You can call the store and they can order you large amounts if you really want to. I've bought 25-30 12 packs at a time. They know me by name :)

If you want to store large amounts in your basement I suggest you get an Reverse Osmosis filter and store water in a rubber trash can. When you are ready to use the water boil it.

Check this out

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-SP128-Filtration-System/dp/B00FA2RLX2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1406575317&sr=1-1

I carry one of these with me when I leave the house along with a large water bottle. I really never worry about not having water if something bad happens. There are other options for cleaning water that are smaller.

Carbonated water :barf:

I use standard MRE's and cycle them out after 5 or so years. Not sure of the cost comparison between MRE's and the "bucket" deals but I'm only preparing for 2 people, not a family in your case.

And without getting into the whole 'insane prepper' argument, FEMA recommends every household has at least 3 days worth of provisions on hand at any time. Considering that's a conservative government figure, and how worthless FEMA has been in past disasters I extended that to 30days. Just something to think about. I have heard of people planning much longer but to each is own i suppose.

As for water, a Water Bob is a good thing to have in a disaster scenario, though it does take some planning and I personally would recommend having a few gallon jugs of water on hand just in case. http://www.amazon.com/waterBOB-Emergency-Drinking-Storage-Gallons/dp/B001AXLUX2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1406653687&sr=1-1&keywords=water+bob

Check this out

We went backpacking a few weeks ago and MoJoe had one of those. It was a giant PITA to even try to use.

I don't think I'd personally buy that one... but maybe for just in case, probably wont' happen, emergency backup, it would work.

2 other guys had this,

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water/treatment/sweetwater-microfilter/product

And I think this one http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/water/treatment/hyperflow-microfilter/product

and I will be buying one.

I guess if it's something that's just in case, the one you posted probably can't be beat for the price, but it can't definitely be beat... very easily in ease of use.

Mine is only for emergencies and is in my get home bag. I bought it because of the size and it can hook into my camelbak bladder. My goal is to not have to use it. I normally will just take water with me. When I leave work I always fill up a water bottle with ice water. When I go camping I fill my trunk with the 12 packs of carbonated water to drink and a case of bottled water for cooking/coffee making.

I use standard MRE's and cycle them out after 5 or so years. Not sure of the cost comparison between MRE's and the "bucket" deals but I'm only preparing for 2 people, not a family in your case.

And without getting into the whole 'insane prepper' argument, FEMA recommends every household has at least 3 days worth of provisions on hand at any time. Considering that's a conservative government figure, and how worthless FEMA has been in past disasters I extended that to 30days. Just something to think about. I have heard of people planning much longer but to each is own i suppose.

As for water, a Water Bob is a good thing to have in a disaster scenario, though it does take some planning and I personally would recommend having a few gallon jugs of water on hand just in case. http://www.amazon.com/waterBOB-Emergency-Drinking-Storage-Gallons/dp/B001AXLUX2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1406653687&sr=1-1&keywords=water+bob

Waterbob is okay if you know ahead of time of a disaster. If you only have one bathtub in your house I would recommend storing it somewhere else like a trash can.

Buy Home Depot bucket with a lid. Go buy real dried goods. Beans, Rice, Lentils, etc... Way cheaper and you can go to Odd Lots or Aldi to get anything canned.

We have big gardens and usually have a month of food available anyway.

Learn from how your Grandparents lived. Freezers, canned food, etc...

Some really good info so far, thanks.

I'm not crazy or think that the world will end anytime soon but who the fuck knows anymore. I want to make sure I'm prepared for the worst even if that time never comes.

I remember when Hurricane Hugo hit Charlotte in like 89 and we didn't have power for 2 weeks and shit got real for my parents fast. I don't want that for my my wife and son.

Some really good info so far, thanks.

I'm not crazy or think that the world will end anytime soon but who the fuck knows anymore. I want to make sure I'm prepared for the worst even if that time never comes.

I remember when Hurricane Hugo hit Charlotte in like 89 and we didn't have power for 2 weeks and shit got real for my parents fast. I don't want that for my my wife and son.

Exactly. Don't prepare because of zombies but because of power outages from storms. The longest my house has been without power is 5 straight days. I had plenty of food and supplies.

A few years back, we lost power for over a week. I went to my neighbor and said "can I get some water out of your pond so I can flush my toilets?" She looked at me like I was crazy and said "the power is out, how can you flush your toilets?"

I think the first step in all of this is education. Turn your power off and figure out how you would live. I have a propane stove and a charcoal grill. I have access to plenty of fresh water. I have lots of food stored, as well as gardens and trees and chickens and bees. If the fit hits the shan, I think I am going to be able to feed my children.

32,000 Total Servings 4-Person 1-Year Food Storage

http://www.costco.com/32%2c000-Total-Servings-4-Person-1-Year-Food-Storage.product.11763436.html

Now is the time to take advantage of this incredible value! Our most extensive THRIVE emergency food supply yet, the Emergency Cube provides over 32,000 total servings of long-lasting freeze dried and dehydrated THRIVE foods enough to sustain up to 4 people for 1 year in any circumstance!

Be prepared with the convenience of delicious foods that are simple to prepare in situations without electricity or fresh ingredients, just add water to rehydrate them in minutes! With quick recipes on every can and our exclusive THRIVE cookbook included, you can create healthy, well-balanced meals for your family under any conditions. Order this comprehensive food supply today to get the peace of mind provided only by the superior quality of THRIVE foods!

This deluxe supply includes great-tasting foods from each of the THRIVE categories, grains, fruits, veggies, proteins, dairy, and baking essentials, ensuring that you have the necessary variety and nutrition. As with all Shelf Reliance products, THRIVE foods are selected and tested to meet the highest standards of premium, long-lasting quality. Great taste and simple preparation make this THRIVE package perfect for creating healthy, delicious meals in any emergency situation!

Comprehensive food supply for up to 12 months for 4 people

Shipment arrives on a pallet that is black-wrapped for security and privacy

Pallet contains 63 separate boxes

All freeze dried foods have a shelf life of up to 25 years

This kit contains 378 #10 cans of the following THRIVE foods:

Grains:

42 Hard White Wheat (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

36 White Rice (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

16 Pearled Barley (8 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

16 Quick Oats (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

14 Cornmeal (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

12 Elbow Macaroni (8 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

12 Egg Noodle Pasta (8 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

Fruits & Veggies:

4 Banana Slices FD (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: Ecuador)

4 Blueberries FD (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA/Canada)

4 Peach Slices FD (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

4 Raspberries FD (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA/Chile/Serbia)

6 Strawberries FD (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

8 Broccoli FD (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA/Mexico)

8 Carrot Dices (8 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA/Poland)

8 Green Beans FD (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

24 Potato Chunks (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

4 Onions FD (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

8 Sweet Corn FD (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

Dairy:

6 Cheese Blend (15 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

8 Chocolate Drink Mix (5 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

24 Powdered Milk (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

Protein:

12 Black Beans (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA/Canada)

8 Beef TVP (10 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

8 Chicken TVP (10 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

14 Lentils (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

18 Pinto Beans (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA/Canada)

8 Whole Egg Powder (3 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

Baking Essentials:

2 Baking Powder (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

1 Beef Bouillon (5 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

10 Brown Sugar (10 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

1 Chicken Bouillon (5 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

8 Butter Powder (5 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

4 Iodized Salt (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

6 Shortening Powder (10 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)

10 White Sugar (25 year shelf life) (Country of Origin: USA)